Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Night Train or Street Bob ?????

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2006 | 12:24 PM
George C
Outstanding HDF Member
Default RE: Night Train or Street Bob ?????

Just what is the thickness (guage) of the frame tube? That's the real question, because that's where the real strength lies, not the diameter. I would bet that nobody even knows or considers that, but the diameter sure looks better on the spec sheet eventhough it may be thinner.
Ever hear of a 1" Softail frame failing?

3/4 inch axles?
I gotta say that 1" sounds better, but I would also say that solid 3/4" steel is plenty to hold up an ordinary travel trailer, and certainly more than enough for a Harley.
Ever heard of a Softail axle bending?

Sometimes, bigger "this" and bigger "that" is more of a sales ploy to bolster sales on something that may be underachieving. It's a fairly cheap and effective way of creating a little seperation from another product. A little extra "gloss" on something.
Just look at some of the responses from new Dyna owners. One claims that his Harley is the best Harley to be offered since 1903.
All courtesy of a $20.00 upgrade in frame and axle size, and a few engine modifications to please the buyer, and the little tid bit certainly sold him!

Harley has been the master of making little or no change seem like discovering nuclear fusion. They know the less they change, the better.
Just look at the best case in point, the V-Rod..

Old 03-03-2006 | 12:28 PM
Firefox
Cruiser

Very informative and I would have to agree.

Old 03-03-2006 | 09:06 PM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member

So your not impressed with HD recient changes to the dyna line. Cool. No bubble burst here. Never said it was so so great. Only that it's new. And like anything with Harley. New is usually better...

Old 03-04-2006 | 06:28 PM
Boogie Knights
Advanced

Tough choice, but the Nightrain has my vote!

Old 03-04-2006 | 08:28 PM
NiteTrain05
Cruiser

Both are definitely cool bikes, but I knew what I wanted the first time I saw a Night train in 02. The fact that the year I finally had the money was also the first year they had Black Cherry as a color was just a bonus! I still describe the Train stealing a quote from an add for the Harley trim package Ford trucks, "this is the bike that says Look at me, and What are you lookin at? at the same time
CHuck