Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Barebacks on a 2008 Fatboy w/pics

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2008 | 12:16 PM
BTL
Tourer
Default RE: Barebacks on a 2008 Fatboy - Help

Thanks mikef, hey tnharley, how do you like your saddle bags, are they big enough to throw a heavy leather jacket in them? I lie the fact that the barebacks are easy to install with out mods to the saddle bags themself, I watch the video on the easy brackets, but it look like to much of a pain in the rear to align the bags to where you want them and then mark and drill holes in them, with my luck id srcew em up.

Old 04-21-2008 | 06:56 PM
tnharley7
Road Captain

BTL, Yes I got the saddlebags andlike the bags. They are bigger than the pictures in the HD catalog supplement depicts. They are preformed so that they will not become saggy like the Hertiage bags were bad to do.Last weekI went on a 200+ mile trip thru the mountains of N. GA. After it warmed up I was able to put my leather jacket, chaps, a fleece vest, and a couple pair of gloves, rain suit,and still had room on the return to pick up the wife a foot-long Subway sandwich I was real pleased that they are able to be functional. I finally received my sissybar and passenger pillion and backrest and got all that put on and all together the look really complements the bike. If you follow the HD instructions that come with the saddlebags for installing them with the detachable sissybar mounts, beware the instructions are wrong. I had to re-do all my quick disconnect stuff as a result to get the sissybar to fitI really wish HD would test these instructions before sending them out to the users).

Looking at Mikef's installation of the barebacks, I wonder if we would have room for the large nut, lockwasher, and extra threads. The XBones bracket on the saddlebag side uses a lockwasher and bolt head and they fit exactly into an indentation in the back of the hard plastic backing of the saddlebags. I really don't know if the extra length would fit. I called BareBacks today and they thought it would fit but hadn't really tested it out since they had not seen a XBones and how the saddlebags fit Oh well, still researching it.

Old 04-22-2008 | 04:27 AM
deadeye
Road Warrior

They look good on a Fatboy. I had some barebacks on my Train, but I didn't like the way they made my saddlebags even wider by spacing them off the fender an extra inch or so. It was very noticeable from behind the bike. I sold the saddlebags and am using a sissybar bag instead.

Old 02-09-2010 | 08:58 PM
ccdeluxe
Intermediate
Default Great Pictures!!!!

Thanks for the great photos you took at every angle. I just ordered the barebacks today. I have an 08 Deluxe and will be installing some heritage bags. I really like the chrome caps, really gives it a finished look. Thanks again for sharing and all your information has been really helpful. I cant wait to get mine installed. Very nice ride. I have the same pipes and love them.

quote=mikef;3230944]I got the Barbacks installed today. It was real easy. Less than 15 minutes. They work great. I like everything about them. I know I made the right decision for me. I really like the chrome caps when the bags are removed. Here are some pics. I took a few of the mounting points too.

[/quote]

Old 02-09-2010 | 09:01 PM
ccdeluxe
Intermediate

One question I do have after looking at your pics again. I have the detachable sissy bar as well and that docking hardware. I can use that same hardware in conjunction with the Barebacks, or will I have to get a different docking hardware kit? Thanks for your help.

Old 02-10-2010 | 03:42 AM
hpfatboy
Banned
Talking

Originally Posted by Dave Deluxe
good god! for a minute there i thought you said BROKEback. whew!!!
I thought he was talking about going BAREBACK with my FATGIRL!!! Bike looks AWESOME Mike!!!

Last edited by hpfatboy; 02-10-2010 at 03:58 AM.
Old 02-11-2010 | 12:29 AM
kiwideuce
Seasoned HDF Member

lookin good! nice ride

Old 02-12-2010 | 10:11 PM
WarriorHD
Outstanding HDF Member

I bought Barebacks for my Deluxe and installed them. Hated the way they looked because the bags stuck out waaay too far. I think it had to do with the hard Deluxe bags I have. Soft leather bags would've looked much cleaner. Howerver, I saw your setup and it looks pretty sweet. I may order the chrome caps and try again cause I really wish I could remove the bags on my Deluxe when I want to.

Old 06-16-2010 | 06:05 AM
Holumt
Stage I
Default Barebacks with Saddle bag docking hardware

Mike,

Did you have the Harley docking mounts for your saddlebags first. I called cyclevision and they told me that I did not need these mounts. I tried putting them on last night and the sissy bar was not even close.

Did you need additional washers when you mounted the barebacks?