Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Softail Custom Tri-Bar LED tail light install

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2008, 11:37 PM
sledhead140
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Softail Custom Tri-Bar LED tail light install

put one on my night train nothing hard at all

Old 04-17-2008, 10:45 AM
TXFXSTB
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Who did y'all purchase from? I found it on eBay for a lot cheaper than HD, but I'm going to look at the sponsors of this site and see if any of them offer a good deal.

Old 04-17-2008, 01:25 PM
harley_nova
Tourer

Hey everyone. Thanks for the responses. Will let you guys know this weekend how it went. Will post pics to.

Taker easy!!

Old 04-17-2008, 01:54 PM
In Memoriam Citoriplus
May our Moderator Rest in Peace
Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts

ORIGINAL: harley_nova
Hey everyone. Thanks for the responses. Will let you guys know this weekend how it went. Will post pics to.
The joke is that you'll probably have it installed before you remember to take any pics.
Least that's what happened when I did mine. Got everything all ready to make my first "documented and pictured" modification and was done before i remembered to use the silly camera.
Oh well I did take nice pics of a backing/reinforcing plate I made for the license.
Like this one.

Old 04-19-2008, 02:06 AM
TXFXSTB
Cruiser

I picked up the bike today from the shop and it turned out to be cheaper than predicted, so I bought the light and installed it tonight. Super easy. Only thing I'm pondering is what to do with my Texas inspection sticker. The original plate holder dropped down and held the inspection sticker. I don't really want to put that back on. Hopefully, I'll get a chance to take pics tomorrow. Tools needed: screwdriver, 9/16ths socket (easy to remove bolts if you reach under the fender from the opposite side), and an allen wrench.

By the way, thanks for serving Citoriplus!

Old 04-19-2008, 09:34 PM
tnharley7
Road Captain

Hey Citoriplus, I like your license back plate. How does the luggage rack attach..it looks like someways under the tri-bar light??? A side view pic would be good.

Old 04-19-2008, 11:42 PM
In Memoriam Citoriplus

ORIGINAL: TXFXSTB

I picked up the bike today from the shop and it turned out to be cheaper than predicted, so I bought the light and installed it tonight. Super easy.
And nobody believed me when I said it was an easy mod. Surprised you didn't it?

tnharley7,
Not sure i have any pics of it from the side but heres one of it from the back before I put the stick on reflector and my home made backing plate on it.

There are more on my Photobucket.com web page so you can check out more if you want to. Just look up Citroiplus on there and you'll find a ton of bike pics.
The Rack is normally attached to the stock tail light with two nuts and bolts through the flat plastic part just below the lens itself. When you put the Tri-Bar on that piece is removed with the tail light so you need to get an adaptor kit from HarleyPN=59320-07. The good thing about it is that the original teil light assembly couldn't support much weight. I think its only rated for some 10#'s. But the adaptor is made up of three pieces of heavy gauge steel plate, and a replacement plate bracket. This sucker can easily handle more than three times the weight without complaining. The down side is that you have to get it from Harley or someplace like Zenotti's, and you have to tak a lot more of the fender and struts apart to get it installed.
One word of caution, be careful and get someone to help hold the fender for you while your putting the bolts back in or you might scratch the paint, don't ask how I know that one.

The backing plate is just a piece of 1/8" thick aluminum scrap I had laying around that I cut to the same size as the license plate and cleaned up with some scotch bright before I painted it black. I put it on because the plate the state issues is so flimsy that the first rock that hit it would fold it up like a piece of cheap aluminum foil. Its also good for keeping any rocks or other road debrisfrom hitting the Tri-Bar's lens assembly

Old 04-20-2008, 10:58 AM
tnharley7
Road Captain

Thanks. The pic explains a lot about how therack is attached. I always had one on my '99 FXSTC and was real convenient to put a T=Bag or other stuff on it and have the sissybar to help support it. I was disappointed when therack for the XBones is either the rack or the sissybar. This looks like an option to explore. I think however on the XBones I would powdercoat it glossy black. Jerry

Old 04-20-2008, 11:06 AM
tnharley7
Road Captain

Citroiplus, I looked at some of your other pics. That is a nice bag you have mounted to the SB and luggage rack. What brand is it and where did you find it?

Old 04-20-2008, 02:14 PM
In Memoriam Citoriplus

ORIGINAL: tnharley7
Citroiplus, I looked at some of your other pics. That is a nice bag you have mounted to the SB and luggage rack. What brand is it and where did you find it?
Your at least the third guy to ask me that in the last month, and I have to be honest. I haven't a clue who made it. I got it at a local biker shop thatno longer exists right after I got the bike. The bag itself was just one of those cheap no name unlabeled bags(about $20 I think) that a lot of shops have stuck in the corner someplace. If I ever do figure outwho made it and the model number, I think I'm going to have to make a general announcement to let everyone know.
Sorry I can't help out, but your right it fits the bike SB nearly perfectly and has just enough room in it for the kind of junk you want a bag for.

Quick Reply: Softail Custom Tri-Bar LED tail light install