Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: A poll
'06 Springer Classic
42.11%
'06 Softail Deluxe
57.89%
Voters: 114. You may not vote on this poll

CAST YOUR VOTE! '06 Springer Classic vs. '06 Softail Deluxe

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2006 | 11:08 PM
itsahog
Cruiser
Default RE: '06 Springer Classic vs. '06 Softail Deluxe

I just can not imagine you would buy a bike based on others opinions.

Old 02-13-2006 | 02:37 AM
tda69
|
Stellar HDF Member

[sm=sigh.gif] Geesh! Tough crowd! I never thought it would be this complicated. Guys it's only a poll for Pete's sake. I'm not asking for your vote to run for the Senate. I'd just like your opinion, that's all. I think some of you are taking this way to seriously. Obviously I'll be the one making the decision, but I didn't think that it needed to be pointed out. This is a forum where we all discuss and share ideas, so if I didn't want your opinion I wouldn't have asked.

Having said that here's what I'm thinking. This bike would be an addition to my toy collection. The Ultra is great for long distance, but sometimes it more than what I need when I just want to go out for a burger with the guys. Know what I mean? My wife doesn't ride so she is not part of the equation here. So for short distances, mainly bopping around town either the Deluxe or Springer would fit the bill. Honestly the Springer appeals to me because I see so few of them around. Most everyone I know rides a Heritage Softail and the Deluxe seems to be the #1 selling bike for my area, so they are everywhere I go. On the other hand, the Deluxe definitely has the nostalgic look that I like so much.

Hope that helps give you a better understanding of where I'm coming from.

Old 02-13-2006 | 03:50 AM
SPRINGER
Seasoned HDF Member

I understand where you are coming from. The reason that I bought my Springer (not Classic model) last year was I have always liked the springer front end. When I was growing up, I saw a lot of custom bikes with the springer front end and it just sort of got stuck in the back of my head. There is something that appeals to me when I see a Harley with a springer for the front forks. I like the looks of both bikes and I'm glad that I'm not the one having to make the decision as to which one to buy. Have you tried riding both of them to see which one appeals to you the most? If you want to be different, than I would definitely suggest the Springer Classic, based on what you said about what seems to be popular down where you come from.

Old 02-13-2006 | 12:58 PM
tda69
|
Stellar HDF Member

I have not ridden the Deluxe, although I plan to do so. I assume it will ride similiar to a Heritage Softail? I have ridden the Springer however and it was great. Funny enough it felt sporty to me. Maybe I'm just used to riding the Ultra so anything seems sporty. But I loved the way the Springer handles and it gave me great confidence riding it. I love the view from the seat, looking over the single headlight. Very cool! I would definitely be the only guy I know who owns one.

Old 02-13-2006 | 05:57 PM
SPRINGER
Seasoned HDF Member

If you really like the feel and looks of the Springer and that you would be the only one around that had one, I think that you have already made your choice. Sometimes, being different is cool.

Old 02-14-2006 | 01:10 AM
Whiskers
Seasoned HDF Member

I've seen a couple of Springer Classics tricked out, ie. fishtails, driving lights, beach bars, white walls...and they were pretty incredible looking bikes when their owners were finished with them. The Springer Classic is my choice for the bike most likely to make people smile and waive!

Old 02-14-2006 | 08:57 AM
hddeluxe
Road Captain

Test ride both and listen to your hart!
Thats the only thing you should listen to.
Choosing a bike is personal, don't give a sh#t of what other people says...

Old 02-14-2006 | 11:35 AM
bancquo
Intermediate

Two things: if this is a 'heart' decision, you should already know what you want.
If you don't know which one's for you now, then neither is for you, because you haven't made that emotional connection with the looks....
Ask youself which stock vintage OHV Harley does it for you.
If it's a knuckle, then the Springer's your bag, and you're rooted in the thirties and forties.
If it's a Pan, then you're Mr Fifties and the Deluxe is your choice...
Do you want to dress it with bags and screen, so you can tour sensibly?
Seems not, but if you did, the Deluxe would accept all the bolt ons, and still look good, but the Springer's lean and mean looks would be destroyed IMHO.
Secondly, there's the practical question.
Have you been on the H-D HomePage and chosen the 'Compare Motorcycles' option?
http://www.harley-davidson.com/PR/MO...ection=gallery
If you do, you'll see what you know already, that they are in fact exactly the same motorcycle, apart from the styling (covered above) and 3 other differences:
a. Can you live with a springer front end? The rake's the same as the Deluxe, but the trail's different, so that will change the way it steers. You need to try it, to find out if it suits you.
b. Do you like bends? The difference in lean angle from 28° to 30° doesn't sound much, but if you're a quick rider, you'll soon be wearing down those footboards on the Deluxe. Many new owners of the Deluxe have complained about the low ground clearance on bends.
c. How long are your legs? The low ground clearance on the Deluxe goes with low seat height. If you're a shorty, it could suit you better.
Apart from that, it's personal choice on looks. I love the Springer: have done since it first appeared.
But would I own one, as my only Harley?
Probably not.

Old 02-14-2006 | 11:54 AM
tda69
|
Stellar HDF Member

Those are all very good comments thanks for your opinions and input, I appreciate it very much. This weekend I am renting a Deluxe so I can see whether or not I like it. I suspect like all the other Harley's I've ridden I'll enjoy it. I have also rented a Springer Classic and I will say that it was one of the most fun and entertaining bikes to ride. When I last rode one, the sprung front end was constantly in motion absorbing road imperfections. Normally on a bike with shocks I don't normally notice it. It's a feeling rather than an observation on a bike with shocks. So I already know that I like the Springer in that it's high on the Fun-O-Meter. The Deluxe looks nostalgic, low to the ground and also has the Tombstone tail light that I love so much. I'll post more after the weekend to share my experiences of the Deluxe with you.

Old 02-14-2006 | 11:57 AM
tda69
|
Stellar HDF Member

By the way the poll currently shows 35% in favor (10 votes) for the Springer and 64% in favor (18 votes) of the Deluxe.

Quick Reply: CAST YOUR VOTE! '06 Springer Classic vs. '06 Softail Deluxe