Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Andrews 34T drive sprocket

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2006 | 02:52 PM
haksaw
|
Road Master
Default Andrews 34T drive sprocket

anyone installed one of these? if so do you like it?

thanks

Old 02-11-2006 | 05:51 PM
95BadBoy
Cruiser
Default RE: Andrews 34T drive sprocket

Why do you want to change? Will turn more rpms when your crusing. If you want a little more omph change rear to 70 t. less work also.

Old 02-11-2006 | 07:26 PM
haksaw
|
Road Master

far as i know stock front is a 32t so i will be turning less rpm while cruising.

Old 02-12-2006 | 12:18 AM
Taildraggerdave
Road Captain

Yes, the higher the number of teeth on the front equals lower rpm at cruise. Also, front sprocket is usually good for about 3 teeth on the back, so it is easier to change the front since the belt can't have links taken out or added.

Old 02-12-2006 | 05:08 PM
95BadBoy
Cruiser

Sorry. Had a brain fade. Was thinking of something else. I changed my stock 32t for a
BDL alumimun liteweight 32t pulley. changed the rear to a 70t. needed faster pickup and to keep it in a higher rpm when in 5th

Old 07-28-2006 | 04:28 PM
Babs
Outstanding HDF Member

Mind if I resurrect this thread?

After my long ride this week (Asheville to Louisville.. 350+ ride each way) I'm convinced I want lower RPM's per MPH for some easy highway touring.

Gathering opinions on either a 6-speed option of somekind (trap door assembly such as the Harley or a Jims or Baker maybe).. Or going with a larger front sprocket.. up two teeth, maybe.. Andrews probably.

PRO SPROCKET:
It's logical that the sprocket is an easier swap.
I'd imagine a sprocket is MUCH LESS expensive than the 6 speed after parts and installation.

PRO 6-SPEED:
Sprocket lowers RPM in All gears, including taking off in first gear and pulling hills in low gears.
- A dissadvantage for take off the line,
- Downshifting more when pulling hills and lower speeds

How about costs? Reliability? comparisons and issues?
Also, I haven't heard of too many folks doing a larger sprocket on a Twin Cam.. Any feedback from twin cam'ers?

Old 07-28-2006 | 06:30 PM
haksaw
|
Road Master

I bought the 34t andrews drive sprocket but haven't gotten around to installing it yet. I'm leaving for sturgis monday and i don't think it's going to happen before I leave. Obviously I'll lose a little bottom end and the 6 sp is a better option, but if I was planning on drag racing I wouldn't be riding a harley anyway. I could buy a little crotch rocket for the price of a 6 speed that'll drive circles around me in a race.
I think the 34t would be a huge improvement on the hwy. (i hope it will) If money was no object I'd go with the 6 speed but I'd rather spend my coin on roadtrips.

Old 07-28-2006 | 07:02 PM
Babs
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: haksaw
I bought the 32t andrews drive sprocket...
Do you mean the 34 tooth?

Old 07-28-2006 | 07:03 PM
haksaw
|
Road Master

oops. yeah i meant 34. i changed it thanks.

Old 07-28-2006 | 07:13 PM
Babs
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: haksaw

the 6 sp is a better option, ... If money was no object I'd go with the 6 speed but I'd rather spend my coin on roadtrips.
I hear ya.
I wonder what the bottom dollar with installation would be.. I'm willing to bet it could push up to $3 grand really easy.. These tranny gear kits look like they run about $2k. Yikes. Verses a hundred bucks or so for a sprocket that a guy can put on in his garage if he can pull down a primary and re-adjust the belt and wheel alignment, it's almost no contest.

Quick Reply: Andrews 34T drive sprocket