Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Factory Ordered Chrome Swing Arm vs. Chroming The Original One...

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2008, 08:26 AM
SCJE8
Club Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Factory Ordered Chrome Swing Arm vs. Chroming The Original One...

Hey 07 J/E FatBoy...

The HD Chrome Swingarm for your Fat Boy (HD PN 48607-06) is $464.95 at Zanotti in Butler, PA. Even if you install the new bearings and retainers when you do the swap that leaves $500.00+ for labor! I think that figure is way out of line! I would certainly shop that number...even in Canada!I don't know what the flat-rate is on a swingarm swap...but I don't think that it would exceed 5 hours.

The chrome on the HD unit is top notch...but if you get your swingarm chromed by a reputable company it wouldbe just as nice. And some of them might even be better qualitythan the HD version.

As far as what to do with your OEM swingarm...man, that's why we all have a box full of parts in the attic or under a bench in thegarage! And in some of our cases...several boxes.

I don't know J/E...when you start looking at that kind of $$$, I'm starting to think that the 'cost benefit' is no longer applicable.I love my chrome swingarm and I think it makes the softail look great...but I'm able to do my own work. $1,100.00 would buy a lot of chrome that you could probably do yourself. Tough situation buddy...

Good luck!

Steve

Old 04-08-2008, 09:09 AM
07 J/E FatBoy
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

trafficjams, I was talking about the option of having a non HD shop do the work. They would chrome one of their stock swing arms and then call me when it's chromed. I would ride my bike there and they would swap swing arms.

This would now mean that I would have a non-HD swing arm on my bike (again as I would have the non-HD shop 'Stock' swing arm on my bike).

Does this make more sense?

Also, RE: some other questions RE: the $1100 Price tag for the HD chrome swing arm, the price is broken down as follows:

~$550 for the HD Factory Order chrome swing arm
~$450 Labor at the local HD shop (4 hours at just over $100 @ hour)
+ TAX

= ~$1100.00

Old 04-08-2008, 10:08 AM
firestarter
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

J/E Fatboy,

Check out Chrome ThatHog at http://www.chromethathog.com/

I have not had my swingarm chromed, yet, but I have had some other parts chromed and they do a great job. They will chrome your swingarm or send you a chromed stock swingarm for $250. Even with shipping from Canada I think you will still come out ahead.

This from their website: We offer you the option to purchase a newly chrome plated part, plate your own or exchange yours for a chrome plated part. We now offer you the opportunity to keep your part until you receive ours using a core deposit which gets refunded to you as soon as we receive your part.

Old 04-08-2008, 02:03 PM
trafficjams
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: 07 J/E FatBoy

trafficjams, I was talking about the option of having a non HD shop do the work. They would chrome one of their stock swing arms and then call me when it's chromed. I would ride my bike there and they would swap swing arms.

This would now mean that I would have a non-HD swing arm on my bike (again as I would have the non-HD shop 'Stock' swing arm on my bike).

Does this make more sense?

oh... yeah... roger that.