Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just bought a Harley. How badly is the dealer screwing me?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2008, 03:25 PM
sethhobrin
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Just bought a Harley. How badly is the dealer screwing me?

Thanks for the replies guys. Made me simmer down a bit. I'll give them another chance. Looks like the sissy bar and windshield are backordered until 4/4 so I've got prolly another week until I get my new baby! I was hoping for this weekend!

Old 04-01-2008, 03:42 PM
Mike NY
Road Master
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

ORIGINAL: sethhobrin

Thanks for the replies guys. Made me simmer down a bit. I'll give them another chance. Looks like the sissy bar and windshield are backordered until 4/4 so I've got prolly another week until I get my new baby! I was hoping for this weekend!

Your waiting a week for a Sissybar and Windshield !!! Go get the bike and ride !!!

Do yourself a favor and buy the service manual

Mike
NY

Old 04-01-2008, 04:00 PM
mike@nhca.us
Tourer

Seth, I would not return your calls either, you whine too much.

You"hate" the dealership and this"nightmare" thenyou were"treated poorly" and then "lied to and coerced".

You were buying a new Harley (a fun thing most people can only dream of...) I can only imagine that you have had a pathetically easy life if this was stressfuland hard foryou.

Were the tattooed men in black t-shirts scary?

It sounds like you have more money than brains, sorry to be harsh.

If you really want advise:

First research, then buy, then ride... simple. Don't complain about the air filter (again) that YOU choose and bought.

It also helps to dole the money out slowly, if you just giveanyone a lot of money in a lumpthey will take it and think theyhave done enough.

Otherwise, as my kids say, build a bridge and get over it.

Mike

Old 04-01-2008, 04:17 PM
Crushinator
Cruiser

I honestly think you got a decent deal. When I bought my Fatboy, they knocked around $1800 off MSRP for me since I went to school with the salesman, and that was about it. Oh yeah, i did get my wife a free T-shirt. Honestly, I really didn't care about the perks. I wanted a black Fatboy and was prepared to pay full MSRP for it. The rest was a gift.

Hey, you got the bike you wanted. Enjoy the hell out of it!

Old 04-02-2008, 03:33 AM
KP Ling
Novice

ORIGINAL: sethhobrin

I don't really feel like I got a terrible deal overall. My problem is that that the staff have treated me like garbage since I signed the paperwork. My salesperson has still yet to return my voicemails from last week wed, thurs, and fri. The parts guy was trying to convince me to stay with the SE AC with cheapo paper filter.
Join the club...

I shopped around plenty before I got mine and felt that the dealership I went to gave me the best deal, up front out of any of them. They quickly stopped kissing my *** before the ink on the paper was dry. Especially since I got the guy to print everything up, I didn't know he was going to, and told him I was still not happy with the price. He then pointblank told me I should look at a Sportster if I couldn't handle the cost of a Softail. I got up to leave but then his sales manager came in to give the okay and all the deal sweeteners he could let loose to get my signature.

Anyway, as I said, I think I got a great deal on my Springer but now it's like they do not want to bother with me. Taking my bike in for service appointments is like pulling teeth or I get the, "Well, you can drop it off and we will call you whenever we get to it." Many times the main switchboard transfers me to service and they pick up real quick and hang up just because they do not want to be bothered. what I hate is that they promise me my bike on a certain day, but then do not get around to calling me until 10 minutes before they close to come pick it up so I have to drive like a bastard to get it. This is after being hung up on like I said before simply because they do not want to deal with you. My experiences were confirmed by many of my customers who, whenever I said I was having dealership problems would say, "Oh is it THAT dealership!" They say they refuse to go there either for the same or other past reasons. Now I find out. The guy who actually recommended the dealership, he's bought 5 bikes from them, also says that after my experience and some of his own he told them where they could go and drew a map.

But, I found another dealership that I had passed on before. They have great service, loads of sales and deals all the time and cook-outs every weekend. I passed on them because their bikes were higher off the lot but they also do not let a bike leave without a better exhaust, air cleaner and the mapping done, and their service is fast. My friend has a gotten a scheduled maintenance service within two hours at a cook-out with no appointment (they have all hands on deck on the weekends rather than a skeleton crew like a lot of dealerships). So, I'm going to have to spend that now rather than have it up front. But, it is a little knowledge when I go to get a second bike or trade mine in...the dealership I bought it from already knows very well that I will not spend a dime in their place nor give them anymore business. I get my pre-paid maintenance and warranty work done and that's it.

Just don't let the buying experience sour you on the bike. Keep a mental note of what happened, ask around more as you get closer to buying. Don't be afraid to call and travel. I'm in Dallas and have customers (I work at a biker bar so I have loads of customers with horror/happy-ending stories I can learn from) who will travel to Waco, Austin, and even Louisiana to buy their bikes simply because of the deals they can cut and the level of service they get. I guess that is one advantage of cities...there are 4 dealerships within an hour drive of me so I have some choice.

Fools learn from their own mistakes...wise men learn from the mistakes of others. Next time around hopefully you and I will be the latter.

Old 04-02-2008, 11:54 AM
harley albert
Advanced

The package seem OK. Don't torture yourself and start enjoying your new scooter. Don't sweat the small stuff.

Ride hard and ride safe.

Old 04-02-2008, 12:19 PM
tlb
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

sounds like you did fine, to me. I would buy a service and pats manual and start learning how to save 950.00 bucks.

Old 04-02-2008, 12:34 PM
Big ACE
Intermediate

ORIGINAL: Jerseytwin

[sm=headbang.gif]Screw the stealer.... buy the parts online....get a shop manual, buy a 200pc Craftsman tool set and a six pack of your favorite brew.....$950.00 can buy a lot of tools......You can do it!
Thats right! Just take the bike and the gift card and buy the parts at a different dealer. AND STOP GOING THERE!!!! You can buy parts from anyone doesnt have to be from a HD shop to get HD parts.

Old 04-02-2008, 01:48 PM
Soft06
Outstanding HDF Member

My .02 worth

You didn't get "screwed", or even tattoed,,
You got an OK deal..and with them doing the labor...EVERYTHING they do is warrented. (to a degree) If you put a part on,,and it failed,,in 2 days,, they could say you did it when you installed it. Not that they would, but they could...
As far as everyone not being cool to you after you signed papers...then you told this to the finance guy? me....I'd take it one step further, I'd go in,,ask for the Manager of the dealership..one on one,,,even if it's on the sales floor,,after a handshake...I'd introduce myself to him, tell him I just bought a bike,,and all this other stuff...(break it down briefly for him so HE knows how much coin you have spent there) then I'd say I spoke to the finance guy and I had some concerns,, he took the time to addressmy concerns and you wanted him (the dealership manager) to know how pleased you are to have been treated so well by the finance guy...and not so pleased with a few others on your staff.....
After that, you will be treated as you should be...as a customer in good standing....
And maybe a friendly hi when you walk in the dealership next time...
I was in my dealer yesterday, and the service manager called me by my first name...I have never met him,, i was impressed..

Ride safe, and often

AND PS....ENJOY YOUR NEW RIDE !!!!!
[sm=bounceybounce.gif]
[sm=groupwave.gif][sm=happy046.gif][sm=massbounce.gif]

Old 04-02-2008, 02:02 PM
cspcrx
Tourer

to me sales people are like one night stands. Got what you want dont expect a call back.

Quick Reply: Just bought a Harley. How badly is the dealer screwing me?