Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

no tail light, just signal/brakes

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2008, 08:08 AM
ajaugust
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: no tail light, just signal/brakes

Given all the cagers out there that do so many other things in the car besides driving, I would be far more inclined to make myself (and my bike) as visible as possible.
Imagine just for one moment............... what it would be like to be rear ended as you are slowing down or stopped by someone who is traveling a mere 30 miles per hour. You and your bike need to let them know what you are doing... only you can "interrupt" them as they are driving the missile behind you.
With today's technology in LED lighting and being able to sequence lighting patterns in all kinds of directions, there is little or no excuse to have less lighting, even if you are customizing your ride. With a little imagination, you might even be able to enhance the custom level of your ride.
I guess what I really want to say is "Don't hang your *** out there for the sake of bike vanity..."

Old 04-01-2008, 08:17 AM
DaveJ
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: no tail light, just signal/brakes

ORIGINAL: emsley3

The Rocker's come standard with 2 bullets that act as running lights/turn signals/brake lights. After having the bike for a month now, I'm not a fan of the setup and have seen people behind me have trouble noticing what I am doing. Hell, cagers can't pay attention to the 3 brake lights on the back of my Expedition much less 2 little lights on the back of the bike mounted low. I'm probably going to add some Hyper-Lites for the time being and hope that Kuryakyn comes out with an aftermarket piece that will replace the current license plate holder with a true brake light and hopefully one that blinks. I've already emailed Kuryakyn with the idea and hope they run with it. I want to get the license plate mounted down on the side anyways so this would eliminate any body work removing the holder on the fender.

I've been reading of too many accidents lately wherecager's are just running into the back of bikes and I don't think having this setup helps that any.
I wouldn’t rely on Kuryakyn if you are looking to make your bike more visible; they use crappy LED’s. I replaced my taillight with their laydown LED taillight last year. Everyone I rode with told me they could not see it during the day, and it wasn’t that great at night either.

I am not familiar with Hyper-Lites, so I can’t speak to those. But I can tell you the LED’s I referenced above are extremely bright; even brighter than the stock taillight. I am not suggesting it is safer to use these in lieu of a taillight; but they are plenty bright enough to be seen in direct sunlight, and I consider them safe enough.