Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What storage cover works best?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2008 | 06:03 PM
deadeye
Road Warrior
Default RE: What storage cover works best?

I like the Nelson Rigg covers, they last for years. But, I wouldn't cover a bike on a trailer with a normal cover--I think the bike and cover would be damaged. You might be able to use that industrial size plastic wrap that movers and shipping companies have.

Old 03-29-2008 | 10:19 AM
tlb
Elite HDF Member

I kinda want to get a cover too, just keep off the dust.
I would not cover abike on the road in an open trailer it will rub your paint.

Old 03-29-2008 | 02:33 PM
Reg66
Cruiser

I bought one of those cycle shells. It's already been through a couple of good rain/wind storms and has held up pretty good but I wouldn't mind having a garage

Old 03-30-2008 | 04:46 AM
kato1964
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: vertigo14

Try one that doesnt have an HD logo on it...
has to be able to breath too

+1 to that.

There are plenty of good covers out there, that don't run $100+ because of the stupid logo printed on them. Check out your local metric dealerships. They'll have plenty of decent ones in stock or even you local automotive stores. eBay always has plenty for sale, although I can't attest to the quality personally.

Personally I used an old furniture cover. It fits over my FB perfectly, and there is no risk of scratching my paint.

Old 03-30-2008 | 05:23 AM
fbhawg
Tourer

The Raider at Fleet is only abut $25-$30 and works great. It has the handlebar/ windshild reinforcements built in.I don't think any regular dust covers are going to work for trailering unless you have 150 bungee cords on it.

Old 03-30-2008 | 06:57 AM
Road_Clam
Road Captain

When I need to keep my bike outside overnight, or for a few days, I have a Dowco Guardian cover. Awesome protection and quality. This is my third Dowco cover, and have never had problems with any of them.Don't protect a $18000 Harley with a $50 cover......

As for trailering..... DON'T trailer open with any type of cover, you will get "wind flap" which does 2 things: 1) It will tear, and destroy any cover. 2) the flapping cover material will contact, and burnishthe clearcoat on your bodywork. Always trailer open with no cover.

http://www.dowco-inc.com/Seg_Power.asp?seg=2

Old 03-30-2008 | 07:04 AM
Strgzr
Tourer

A standard white sheet if you ina garage. Work good, breath real well and there cheap. All you doing is keeping dust away really. If you outside this is more of a challenge. Whatever cover you choose, remember on windy days to REMOVE THE COVER. Personal experience here, that cover will take your bike right over.

Mike

Old 03-30-2008 | 07:43 AM
tobyhd1
Tourer

ORIGINAL: Strgzr

A standard white sheet if you ina garage. Work good, breath real well and there cheap. All you doing is keeping dust away really. If you outside this is more of a challenge. Whatever cover you choose, remember on windy days to REMOVE THE COVER. Personal experience here, that cover will take your bike right over.

Mike
That`s a good point about the wind and knocking it over.I use a HD cover with the white fabric lining under the windshield headlight area.I believe the silver part near the bottom rear is so it doesn`t melt if you put it on too soon after you ride.I`ve got a garage but it`s covered in there when I`m not on it.Toby

Old 03-30-2008 | 09:11 AM
trafficjams
Road Warrior

i have this nelson rigg cover for rare occasions when i have the bike outdoors... http://nelsonrigg.com/pages/Bike%20C...n-2000-Big.htm ...this cover is a quality product, exhaust shields, vents, etc. also check out their other products... touring bags, rainsuits... all good.

i have the hd cotton cover for indoor winter storage

Old 03-30-2008 | 12:53 PM
byersmtrco
Supporter
Supporter

Uh . . . The LIVING ROOM . . . Duh !!!!!

Ha ha !!!

Quick Reply: What storage cover works best?