Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

changing gears without clutch?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2008, 04:34 PM
grzly
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: changing gears without clutch?

aha .. tks. i do shift at about the rev limit as it slips up a gear nice and easy. I also find that there is less chance of wheel slip going into 2nd as opposed to using clutch when you tend to dump. how do you find it ? I presume with large rear you don;t need to worry so much about that.

Old 03-27-2008, 05:32 PM
Strgzr
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: donk_316

Just for gearing down for me.
Doing it gearing down always felt wierd to me. Up seems more natural but frankly, Im pretty quick on the clutch. Most of the time, it does not even need to be fully engaged.

Mike.

Old 03-27-2008, 05:53 PM
grzly
Road Master

yeah, that was happening to me ( sometimes not engaging clutch properly ) so i figured I might as well stop using it altogether if I am wanting to race through the gears properly. I find that the changecan bedone quite smoothly. Ifigure there has probably been some extra wear and tear but wondering how muchthere actually might be if you are changing in "synchro". anyone got thoughts ? I haven't tried going down the gears without clutch ? figured that this could be alot harsher.

Old 03-27-2008, 06:18 PM
*NIGHT TRAIN*
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If I'm not payin' for it, do what you want...

Old 03-28-2008, 12:01 AM
PowerJunkie
Advanced

Most riders don't realize that motorcycle transmissions are different than car transmissions and can be shifted safely without the clutch. Some say it extends the life of the clutch and transmission. I have also heard that the helical cut of the 6 speed gears should not be shifted without pulling the clutch. Don't know, I have a plain old straight cut 5 speed. There's nothing like the pop of a perfectly timed clutchless upshift!

Old 03-28-2008, 12:12 AM
satansoft
Cruiser

ALways did it with the r1 and cbr's. The rc51's tranny is too clunky for it, 2000-2001 had rough trannies. On my harley, im sure i'll try it, actually positive i'll try it, but doubt ill make a habit of it.

Old 03-28-2008, 12:22 AM
grzly
Road Master

i'd like to think that it extends the life ... but will settle for minimal extra wear and tear ( that and the look on my mates faces when I out sprint them ... Darkman - you know what I mean )

satansoft - I dontt make a huge habit of it but once in a while - it does feel good the seamless pop . much better than the clunk you get using the clutch

Old 03-28-2008, 04:08 AM
darkman
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: grzly

i'd like to think that it extends the life ... but will settle for minimal extra wear and tear ( that and the look on my mates faces when I out sprint them ... Darkman - you know what I mean )

satansoft - I dontt make a huge habit of it but once in a while - it does feel good the seamless pop . much better than the clunk you get using the clutch
Hell yes I know what you mean!!! bike cost me a shed load but i'm still gunna ride the ****er. here today gone tomorrow!!I'm lucky in that I do all my own work!! take care

Old 03-28-2008, 04:23 AM
66cruiser
Road Warrior

Received 127 Likes on 86 Posts

Last bike I owned before this one was a '72 XLCH (sold in '74). I'm still trying to regain skills after 35 yrs of 'gonna get another Harley' and occasionally when I reach for the brake, I wind up downshifting (with out the clutch..) seems HD is still making pretty good transmissions.

Old 03-28-2008, 04:31 AM
grzly
Road Master

love those teeth ... lol

Quick Reply: changing gears without clutch?