Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ipod or not

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2008, 10:09 AM
bensonjv
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RE: Ipod or not

[ul][*] Here's my recipe: Pioneer inno (portable XM player with a couple GB of storage for personal mp3 storage plus separate storage for recorded XM content)[*]Iasus mobile amp http://www.iasus-concepts.com/nt/amp.htm[*]Sony MDR-EX51 ear buds[*]Buff headwear http://www.buyabuff.com/index.html Keeps the ear buds in place and from pulling out with helmet movement, cuts some wind noise [/ul]
I like the idea of IPods and similar players but I'm not enough of an audiophile to make them cost effective even with only ripping my own CD's. I went with XM instead. I have a Pioneer inno portable XM player. It's great for me. My only complaint is that the output power is too low, especially for motorcycle riding with a half-helmet. Wind noise all but drowns out the music. I wear a modular full-face also and that's much better but there is still more wind noise than the player can overcome. (A true full-face would best reduce the wind noise but don’t have one right now). Anyway, I'm fairly certain Pioneer limited output power in the inno to conserve battery life. Great for regular use but in this application it's a critical limitation.
My solution was the Iasus mobile amp. Great little device. It's an in-line amplifier for small portable players like IPods, the inno, etc. That made a big difference in sound level. Volume output is now able to overcome the wind noise.

I tried a few variations for speakers and/or headphones. I used a set of padded earphones that I chopped up for my full-face. I Velcro'd the backs so they could stick in the ear pockets of the helmet. They put out good sound but they aren't snug up to the ear. So they didn't work out so well, especially for highway riding. Ultimately, the best sound on a budget has been with my Sony ear buds. They offer some isolation because of the ear bud design. I combine them with the Buff and its works quite well. The buds stay in place and produce good sound while isolating music from wind noise. The Buff helps to reduce wind noise as well. That's in a half-helmet. In a full-face it's that much better.

I recently saw the Sony noise canceling ear buds (MDR-NC11). Not sure how much better they would perform but I'd like to try them out. But they are still a bit pricey for me. I've never had the opportunity to try Bose or Shure in a riding configuration so I can't comment on them. In all these I think it would be more cost than benefit. I'm limited more by the output quality and power of the player I am using then I am by the ear buds or speakers. So for now my MDR-EX51's are doing just fine. Plus, if these ever crap out on a trip I can pick-up a spare set at any Target for $30 or less.

Where to put the player? I've tried a few different methods. For a while I used a leg strap (like Iron Eagle kid with his Walkman). That worked ok. Now I am using a Velcro dash panel (pictured). I sacrificed the stock plastic dash panel for the project. I epoxied soft Velcro to the panel. Then I used the sticky side Velcro on the player and amp (and any other device or 'thing' I need access to). It puts everything right in front of me for easy access. The main navigation controls on my inno are easy to operate, even in heavy gloves. Volume is simple using the large radial dial on the amp.

It's not pictured but I use a small generic cell phone or camera pouch to hold consolidated power cords and adapters. That Velcros to the panel as well. I have a pigtail that runs from my battery tender plug to a cig lighter socket. That allows me to power the inno fr

Old 03-27-2008, 12:59 AM
joe297
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You're confusing the iPod with their music store. You don't have to pay anything to get music into an iPod. You can load it from audio CDs, mp3s, or whatever.

ORIGINAL: White Guy
... because I don't like having to pay $.99 per song..

Old 03-27-2008, 12:28 PM
HaydenHeywoodHayes
Club Member
Received 112 Likes on 36 Posts

I have been an owner of a Deluxe for only 2 months, and still getting used to riding again, so I don't listen to music while on the bike...my hands are full with this 700-lb Beastess, so I try to focus on what I am doing with her instead of a song or two. I expect, someday, to be a more experienced rider like most of you, and using my IPod doesn't seem too extreme.

That being said, I bought recently a pair of BOSE in-ear buds...I have never been able to wear any in-ear product at all (I have a set of the BOSE ANR headphones for when I fly on long trips), but bought a pair of these as they ride in the ear differently than any other...and they WORK BEAUTIFULLY! Great sound, comfort, and come with 3 different sizes of ear-pieces so you can get a good, tight and comfortable fit. And the best part is they are only $99! I am sure the Shure earbuds are great, but Man, $500 for a set of earbuds????? I can buy a lot of stuff for the motorcyclefor that amount of cash...no, wait a minute...forgot it's a Harley and for $500 I can buy some, but not a lot, ofstuff...anyway, I think they might be something you should try...and you can for 30 days for free!!

Old 03-27-2008, 12:39 PM
RockerMike
Road Master
Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

And the best part is they are only $99!
These are the ones I use, under $20. Work great!

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=9135482