Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DETACHABLE SIDEPLATES

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2008, 05:48 AM
ironman
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DETACHABLE SIDEPLATES

Hi - I just bought a set of softail detachable sideplates, low sissy bar and pad off ebay here in the uk

I guess I need the indicator relocation and detachable bobbins for the fender rail,before I can begin to think about fitting.

Has anyone else tackled this job, and is able to make any recommendations as a result of their experience.
Any tools or procedures that may simplify?
It sould be a simple job - but it never hurts to ask for advice :-)

Thanks in advance

Old 03-21-2008, 07:54 AM
tlb
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: DETACHABLE SIDEPLATES

you will need a relocation kit for the rear signals, the front mounting bolts are in the kit. its pretty easy, take your time removing the original bolts. they are a pain to get out. make sure you cut the wires where the relocation kit says or else it could be a problem when reconnecting them.
Make sure you get the right relocation kit for your bike; there are different kits for different years.
By the way I replaced all of the original bolts on my struts to chrome ones at the same time, looks a 1000 times better.
Oh make sure to torque and loctite the bolts when replacing them.

Old 03-21-2008, 11:17 AM
Road_Clam
Road Captain
Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts

ORIGINAL: ironman

Hi - I just bought a set of softail detachable sideplates, low sissy bar and pad off ebay here in the uk

I guess I need the indicator relocation and detachable bobbins for the fender rail,before I can begin to think about fitting.

Has anyone else tackled this job, and is able to make any recommendations as a result of their experience.
Any tools or procedures that may simplify?
It sould be a simple job - but it never hurts to ask for advice :-)

Thanks in advance
The overall job is not too difficult. Be PATIENT, and read the directions carefully. Remove ONE fender strut at a time, leave the other side tight. If you loosen up both struts, they will move around and scratch the paint on the fender.
The only PIA issue I remember when doing the kit on my Fatboy, was that after you splice in the TS wires back together, my wires were too tight up inside the fender (because you are moving the turn signals outwards as well as farther back). I ended up soldering in another 2" of wire langthto make the wire harnass fit inside the looms properly up inside the fender.

Old 03-21-2008, 02:04 PM
ironman
Advanced

Thanks for info - was there any special treatment required to get the fender rail bolts off?

A budy has suggested jacking the bike up to lower the wheel to gain better access to the underside of the fender - did you find this necessary at all?

Old 03-21-2008, 03:00 PM
Road_Clam
Road Captain
Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts

ORIGINAL: ironman

Thanks for info - was there any special treatment required to get the fender rail bolts off?

A budy has suggested jacking the bike up to lower the wheel to gain better access to the underside of the fender - did you find this necessary at all?
I have the Sears 1500# motorcycle lift. You will definatelyneed to jack the bike up to get your fingers up inside the fender. I got skinny hands, and I can JUST squeeze my hands up inside the fender..

Old 03-21-2008, 04:46 PM
imboden
Stellar HDF Member
Received 94 Likes on 57 Posts

I didn't need a lift, but I've got an 05' with a 150 tire, so I don't know what kinda difference that makes.

I also used my dremel tool to notch out the stock blinker struts, looks cleaner the the single stud.

Old 03-21-2008, 06:19 PM
sonar_chris
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I personally think that the HD relocation kit is kind of cheep looking for the price. If you want to spend the extra money you could do what I did, and eliminate the rear signals on the fender struts and get the Kuryakyn Panacea tail light that has the signals built in.

Chris

Old 03-21-2008, 06:31 PM
powaypete
Road Master

I bought the detachables, ended up returning them. The kit moved my saddle bags away from the fender about 1 inch. Did't like the look. I used my orginal side plates and made the holes extend out to the end to make a slip in (foward ones are cut horizontal, middle ones are cut vertically, and the last ones eliminated - cut off). All I have to do is loosen the 4 bolts (2 each side), slide it in and tighten. Yea it takes me 5 minutes to put on my sissy bar. Also, use some tape between the sideplates and your fender struts so they don't scratch.
On my Heritage, the bolts go thru my fender to a plate on the back side (No need to reach under the fender or use a jack). Just do one side at a time.
I relocated my turn signals to the rear of the fender strut and off the fender.