Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How's the ride of a Springer?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2008 | 10:32 AM
White Guy
Tourer
Default RE: How's the ride of a Springer?

Braking in a turn? That's a no no.. lol..

I have the Crossbones Springer, and, like someone said above, it just feels connected to the road. It's amazing, and I will probably be a springer guy for life now. Plus, it's just a cool looking front end...

ORIGINAL: MICHALISLARNACA

The front end tends to wobble a bit under braking during a turn. The front brake is a bit slow to show its teeth and the neck bearings need a lot of care.

Old 03-25-2008 | 10:34 AM
mcpastor
Tourer

ORIGINAL: SKT

Don't do it, you'll regret it!

What a horrible riding bike...people only get them to look cool.

I wouldn't ridea springerif somebody gave me the dam thing.

I'll never be caught without at least one Springer in my stables...mark my word on that!
Ha Ha! You've got a beautiful horrible riding bike there SKT!

This is an interesting topic to me because I almost bought a Springer, and I still really like them.

I absolutely love the look of the Springer, butIknew I would be riding 2 up a lot and loading down the bike. I didn't know how well the Springer would hold up to that, and on long trips. Probably OK. On short test rides, the Springer was extremely comfortable (except the seat felt like it was made for a square butt). Regarding riding style, sometimes I like to bolt from the light, ride fast and corner aggressively. I thought the Heritage would lend itself faithfully to my riding "moods." The HD salesman said there are some bikes that he likes to ride fast and others slow. The Springermade him feel like riding slow, partly because of cruisin' all the style and partly probably because of the heavier front end.

So... How's the Springer on loaded cross-country touring? How 'bout the occasionalrace through the turns and hills or 'round the cloverleaf?

Old 03-25-2008 | 11:04 AM
hspring03
Elite HDF Member

ORIGINAL: mcpastor

So... How's the Springer on loaded cross-country touring? How 'bout the occasionalrace through the turns and hills or 'round the cloverleaf?
I've gone to TN from MA twice.. Loaded to the hilt... It's a great ride. First time we took our time and made a 2day trip of it. Second time I was solo and "raced" there in one day. While in TN a group of 46 Heritage Springers all did the tail of the Dragon.....It handles the twisties just fine....Like I said I won't own anything else.

Old 03-25-2008 | 11:26 AM
bgismo20
Road Warrior

Don't do it, you'll regret it!

I wouldn't ride a springer if somebody gave me the dam thing.

I'll never be caught without at least one Springer in my stables...mark my word on that!

This is an interesting topic to me because I almost bought a Springer, and I still really like them.

I absolutely love the look of the Springer, but I knew I would be riding 2 up a lot and loading down the bike. I didn't know how well the Springer would hold up to that, and on long trips. Probably OK. On short test rides, the Springer was extremely comfortable (except the seat felt like it was made for a square butt). Regarding riding style, sometimes I like to bolt from the light, ride fast and corner aggressively. I thought the Heritage would lend itself faithfully to my riding "moods." The HD salesman said there are some bikes that he likes to ride fast and others slow. The Springer made him feel like riding slow, partly because of cruisin' all the style and partly probably because of the heavier front end.

So... How's the Springer on loaded cross-country touring? How 'bout the occasional race through the turns and hills or 'round the cloverleaf?
My longest was MI to TN we rode the dragon & did all those great Eastern TN roads, my bike was loaded down but it rode great, 4 bolts & from touring to street, Its awesome! Heres a pic of my bike all loaded up for a week long trip!

[IMG]local://upfiles/30482/F00B711121B6421AB73F329C670A3618.jpg[/IMG]

Old 03-25-2008 | 01:34 PM
springerdave1
1st Gear

Been riding mine since 2000. They ride great just require a little more maintenance.

Old 03-25-2008 | 02:53 PM
squirrely
Intermediate

When a Springer you ride You can cruise with pride Cause it’s better then an Electra Glide

IMHO

Squirrely

Old 03-25-2008 | 07:04 PM
black mountain
Stage III

i've done around 70000 miles on my 98 evo springer all kinds of terrain from the german autobahns to mountain passes never given me a moments trouble, except the brackets which hold the front mudguard did snap so ride without a front mudguard now. a lot of old folk seem to remember the old springer forks so it's always good to get a conversation going.
love the look of springers just classic.

Old 04-02-2008 | 12:16 AM
SKT
Road Master

Regarding riding style, sometimes I like to bolt from the light, ride fast and corner aggressively.

So... How's the Springer on loaded cross-country touring?

How 'bout the occasionalrace through the turns and hills or 'round the cloverleaf?
Thanks for the compliment on ol' girl...

The longest trip I have gotten to take thus farwas a roundtripfrom NC to DC for rolling thunder...no issues!

As far as riding it hard...this is where I smile while typing...

I ride the $hit outta this thing. I slammed the a$$ end, so everything drags now, but it gets rode hard, very hard and takes it. The only problem I had was that the lower rockers (legs) I think they were called, got loose on me...real loose. Ithought thething was gonna fall apart b4 I could get it to the shop, but it made it there.

I do all the required routine maintanance on it, but they said due to pushing it so hard, to pay extra attention to the bottom of the springer legs.

Old 04-02-2008 | 06:23 AM
screamn_eagle
Outstanding HDF Member

i can only tell you what i have heard another hog rider say and that is that the older springers with the skinny front tire rides worse than the bones with the fatter front tire. i'll let you know after i get mine this weekend. this will be my first springer

Old 04-02-2008 | 01:34 PM
phipps66
Advanced

the ride is second to none, i will always ride a springer

Quick Reply: How's the ride of a Springer?