Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vance & Hines Big Radius on Rocker: Problem SOLVED! (pics - 56k warning)

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2008, 01:56 PM
06train
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Vance & Hines Big Radius on Rocker: Problem SOLVED! (pics - 56k warning)

NICE..

Old 04-29-2008, 04:12 PM
wkenddad
Tourer
Default RE: Vance & Hines Big Radius on Rocker: Problem SOLVED! (pics - 56k warning)

Just spoke to Vance & Hines and was told that the BR for the Rocker would be out mid-summer.
The tech told me the reason it is more than a bracket change.
He said the regular softtail BR's come too close to the oil tank on the Rocker.

They are changing the bend a little to give greater clearance.

They said this would cause two problems:
1. The heat could damage the finish on the oil tank.
2. By heating the oil it may reduce the effeciency of the oil and lead o engine damage.

And he finished by saying that they would not honor the warranty of the SoftTail BR's on the Rocker.

Could any of you who have used the Soft Tail BR pipes on the Rocker post photos of this area? (Rear pipe bend and the oil tank)
I wonder if there is really a tight fit or are they just blowing smoke?

Old 05-03-2008, 09:13 PM
Rocketman69
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Ray,

I'll try to get some pictures posted up soon. I was just in the garage checking out my buddy's 2001 Heritage, and his Vance & Hines Straight Shots are closer to his oil tank than my Big Radius are to mine.

Old 05-03-2008, 11:28 PM
wkenddad
Tourer

Rocketman,
I went to the local dealer today and looked at the FXCW they had on the floor.
I could get my index finger between the stock pipe and the oil tank.
SO I would guesstimate that the space is 1/2" - 3/4".
It sure doesn't look like there is any less from the pictures that have been posted in the forum.

I think V&H is just trying to cover their a$$es.
And as to the warranty, they would not accept any claim toward damage to the bike, only material and workmanship of the pipes anyway.

Thanks

Old 05-03-2008, 11:45 PM
bensonjv
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Wanted to relay this in case others are interested. Buddy of mine has a Rocker C and did sucessfully move the license plate off the fender. He used a chrome side mount plate frame and a shift linkage from a Deluxe. He bolted one end of the linkage into the left side passenger peg bolt hole in the boomerang and the other he used a stud/bolt to mount the plate frame. Looks like it belongs there. That was the easy part. Hard part was figuring out what to do with the 4 holes in the fender. He ended up using .50 cal casings and cut them, mounting the primer ends in the holes. Looks bad a$$. PM me if you want pics.

ORIGINAL: RockerMike

has anyone removed the license plate holder yet?
No, we need a bracket for that also. The rocker arm is more oblong than other softails. I was told not to expect it from Kuryakyn until the end of the year.

Old 05-04-2008, 10:52 AM
Mueller
Intermediate

Here are close up pics of my VH Big Radius install and bracket from my local dealer. They have treated me well, so I can't complain about them.

Let me know if you think this is a proper install, they seem to be well mounted and rigid enough. I don't see any clearance problem, but I do have to keep an eye on my right leg to keep it off of the pipes.... I get lazy sometimes and wouldn't ridse this one in shorts.

Old 05-04-2008, 10:55 PM
Rocketman69
Road Captain

Mueller,

The pipes look good on your scoot. Only problem is this.....

They were able to make them fit with the V&H supplied bracket (as I was able to do on mine), but this does a couple of bad things.

1) Notice how your pipes get much closer at the rear than they are at the heat sheild seam?

2) The pipes are sticking out too far from the bike, more than likely, one of them is also not parallel to the other when looking down from the top.

3) The pipes are bound up against the heads and putting undesirable stress on all 10 bolts, the pipes, and the cylinder heads.

These are the problems the redesigned bracket takes care of.

Old 05-04-2008, 11:12 PM
m i k e
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

youll get his order next gib
your bracket is supreme
im glad a fellow rocker bought red
im glad it (exhaust) looks just as
mean on the red as on black/blue rockers
side mount plate next issue
found a couple deciding which way to go

Old 05-07-2008, 07:40 PM
EJH1
Stage I

Rocketman69, I am waiting for my Rocker C to arrive and would like to purchase your bracket. Just curious; is it steel, stainless steel, or aluminum?

Old 05-07-2008, 09:13 PM
Rocketman69
Road Captain

Eric,

The brackets are mild steel, powder coated black. Shoot me an email with your shipping information, and I'll get you on the list. These should be ready to ship on Friday.

Quick Reply: Vance & Hines Big Radius on Rocker: Problem SOLVED! (pics - 56k warning)