Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vance & Hines Big Radius on Rocker: Problem SOLVED! (pics - 56k warning)

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2008, 01:10 PM
Rocketman69
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Vance & Hines Big Radius on Rocker: Problem SOLVED! (pics - 56k warning)

Well, you're welcome to do what you want, but the whole "we won't honor any warranty on a set of pipes installed on a bike we didn't recommend installation on" BS is just that. What do you really think could possibly happen to a set of pipes that would require you to make a warranty claim? Cracking? Peeling? Spontaneous combustion?

V&H is just looking out for their best interest. Obviously if you buy their existing pipes and install them on your Rocker, that's one less customer they can overcharge for the "redesigned" pipes.

Fact of the matter is, the pipes fit great once the bracket issue is resolved. The rear pipe is no closer to my oil bag than the factory pipes were. And the factory pipes seemed closer to the oil lines than the Big Radius pipes are. The oil tank is powder coated, and I highly doubt it will be peeling at all. Do you really think they'll change the curve coming out of the cyllinder head to make it farther away from the tank? No...it's not going to happen.

If you don't want to use aftermarket pipes on your Rocker until someone else gives you thier blessing while simultaneously taking from your wallet, that's your right, and I respect that. But you shouldn't discourage others from modifying their bikes to suit their own needs.

The rocker is a different bike for sure. Many things that fit a normal Softail won't fit a Rocker...but the motor is the same, and the front 3/4 of the frame is the same. The mounting location for the pipes is even the same from front to rear, it's just moved farther outboard of the center line due to the huge swing arm. Take the information provided however you want.

Old 04-09-2008, 12:20 AM
goxley
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Vance & Hines Big Radius on Rocker: Problem SOLVED! (pics - 56k warning)

I'm willing to bet that the onlychanges V&H makes to their Big Radius exhaust for the Rocker will be a redesign of the mounting bracket and an increase in the purchase price. Prior to installing the BR exhausts w/ Rocketman’s bracket on my Rocker I measured the distance between the rear stock exhaust and the oil tank, and then the BR exhaust after install. The distance was virtually the same. V&H “no warranty” scare tactic is to keep those buyers who want the BR exhaust from purchasing them until they can get around to making the redesign of the bracket.

Old 04-09-2008, 12:56 AM
gadawgsfan
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

socal,
i met someone that actually knows a few guys in the r&d at v/h, so he called them to get the real scoop, he said they were changing the bracket so the pipes would fit properly without putting them in a bind, so if that is true then rocketman beat them to the punch.with his bracket.
i personally spoke to hector at v/h back in NOV 07 and he said they were waiting on a bike to start the process of making the pipes,he then said everything should fit because its a softtail, but they wanted to make sure. as far as i'm concerned they drop the ball,with a company that size and the resources they have and being one of the leaders in their industry, i would think they would have already made a bracket,i know for a fact they had a rocker in their possession as of the first week of JAN 08, hector told me that, i wanted to wait also but i cant stand it anymore,so i ordered rocketmans bracket and the pipes should be here fri.

Old 04-09-2008, 12:00 PM
gadawgsfan
Cruiser

gib, i just wanted to tell you thank you for the bracket, i got it yesterday, looks good just waiting on the pipes now
thanks again

Old 04-09-2008, 12:53 PM
souljah
Cruiser

nice work brother the bike looks sick go eat a rice burner on the way home

Old 04-09-2008, 06:14 PM
rsclarkjr
5th Gear

Gib's bracket is perfect and he beat V&H to the punch...........thanks Gib. I installed my pipes this weekend with no issues or problems at all. V&H will not change anything about the pipes I am willing to bet, they will just charge more for an inferior bracket. If you are going to do BR pipes, buy the pipes, buy Gib's bracket, and enjoy the new sounds you will hear. It is GREAT!!!

Old 04-10-2008, 01:24 PM
TEXAS ROCKER
Stage I

I am about to put the V& H on my rocker tomorrow. I don't have the bracket you made, but can you give me some tips on trying to make it fit. I have to have them on by tomorrow because I am getting a sert putand dyno Saturday.

Old 04-10-2008, 01:33 PM
Rocketman69
Road Captain

TEX,

The pipes won't fit worth a damn with the factory bracket. You'll have to put the bottom of the bracket into a big (well secured) vise and bend the top half inward quite a bit.

Even then, the pipes won't fit up to it very well, and there will be alot of stress on the pipes. They will more than likely be very close at together toward the rear.

Old 04-10-2008, 07:36 PM
jipmkwa
Cruiser

Hey Rocketman, i'm looking to buy one of the brackets from you. How long until you could ship one to me? Have you been chroming them or glossing them? I have the vivid black rocker i don't know what would look the best, thanks !

Old 04-10-2008, 08:25 PM
Rocketman69
Road Captain

Justin,

I sent you an email.

Quick Reply: Vance & Hines Big Radius on Rocker: Problem SOLVED! (pics - 56k warning)