Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

problem at rear wheel?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2008, 01:26 PM
rick
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default problem at rear wheel?

I went to ride today and as i'm leaving i hear this clang coming fom the rear wheel area.I first thought something was hitting the fender but no.It's like something is hitting but cant tell what.I've looked and there is no obstruction anywhere.It would clang as i moved the bike and the wheel turned but it would only clang intwo locations 1 would be louder than the other as far as i can tell.It does sound as the fender is being hit but its not.I'm not mechanically inclined so if anyone has any opinions or similar situation please chime in.I dont know but maybe bearings?

Old 03-09-2008, 01:38 PM
DaveJ
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: problem at rear wheel?

Not sure if this will help, but last year I had what could be described as a scraping sound on the left side of the bike, but only at certain speeds. It turned out to be the pulley just barely scraping the inside of the swingarm. I found it by doing a visual inspection; there were a few scratch marks on the pulley. Do you have any noticeable scratches are scrapes anywhere? What side is it coming from?
[align=left] [/align]

Old 03-09-2008, 01:39 PM
Stevenacnj
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not really sure what it is. Could be wheel, tire, belt, or brake related.

Can you jack the bike up somehow, so you can rotate the rear tire slowly to see what is clanging?

Old 03-09-2008, 01:42 PM
flexx220022
Cruiser

I had a similar issue as well and mine was coming from the left side of the bike..Ended up being my belt guard and it seemed to be hitting up against my pulley..Just something you might can check of thats the side of the bike that its coming from..

Old 03-09-2008, 01:42 PM
rick
Road Warrior

Its definately not a scraping sound at all.I did check that to make sure anyway.You can hear from both sides and i really cant tell which side is more dominate.Its like its catching on something but as if you would tap on the fender with a metal object.

Old 03-09-2008, 01:44 PM
rick
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: Stevenacnj

Not really sure what it is. Could be wheel, tire, belt, or brake related.

Can you jack the bike up somehow, so you can rotate the rear tire slowly to see what is clanging?
dont have a jack but as the wheel moves you hear the clang at certain locations.

Old 03-09-2008, 02:07 PM
rick
Road Warrior

I think i found the problem.It may be the rear brake.I noticed the pad resting so i spread it so slightly.I tried moving the bike again and no clanging.It's kind of weird.I guess i can still ride today and try not to even use the rear brake.

Old 03-09-2008, 03:12 PM
flexx220022
Cruiser

WOW @ riding without using rear brakes..Rick,be careful doing this man..With only a single rotor up front,the doesn't leave you with much to work with..

Old 03-09-2008, 03:14 PM
mplecha
Stellar HDF Member
Received 165 Likes on 102 Posts

why don't you just fix it?

Old 03-09-2008, 03:17 PM
rick
Road Warrior

I didnt go out.The brakes work but i got a feeling that i probably dont have any pads left which is why i was getting the noise when the wheel rotated since they were against the rotor.Maybe i'm at metal.So wont be riding till i get my brakes done.Taking it to my mechanic tomorrow or tuesday.

Quick Reply: problem at rear wheel?