Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

moving boards foward 2-inches

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2006 | 08:46 PM
UltraScoot
|
Road Captain
Default moving boards foward 2-inches

After putting a few miles on my ride I find I use the front half of the boards more, I 'm 6'1". Been thinking of moving boards forward and ran across these Go Forward .

Although price is high (my .02 cents) for a couple of brackets I like the idea and would make my own.

Questions: has anyone done this and should I be concerned with moving the jiffy stand forward 2-inches and how will that afect the weight transfer on the jiffy stand? thoughts?

I would also like to add hyway pegs but want to mount them off the boards, seen this done but unable to find in my searching.

Old 01-30-2006 | 09:21 PM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Default RE: moving boards foward 2-inches

I moved mine forward half the length of the board by modifying the mounts on the boards. Had to modify the brake pedal to work with the boards. Here's what I did:

Grind or cut the mounting brackets off the bottom of your existing floorboards. Bolt, braze, or weld the front one back on, but in the middle of the board. Stick the floor boards back onto the front mount on the bike and you'll gain about 4 inches of leg room. If you have crash bars you'll have to check the clearance and possibly modify to make 'em fit.
I added a foot peg to the now empty rear mount on the bike just to give me another place to flop me brogans, but I kept grinding the ends off on turns, so I took 'em off and removed the mounts from the brackets/frame/primary.
Once you install the modified boards you'll have a problem with the brake pedal stabbing you in the side of your foot. You can buy one of the extended brake pedals or modify your existing one. I heated the foot pedal part of the lever and straightened it. Next I got a piece of angle iron and bolted it to the end of the straightened brake lever. I then cut a notch out of the lever about 2 inches from the pivot, bent it back together, and welded it so the pedal part was at the level I wanted. I then painted the whole thing wrinkle black. I mounted the rubber part of the foot pedal longways on the angle iron so it wouldn't extend too far out over the footboard. It works fine, looks great, and there ain't another one like it anywhere.
I used to have the have the heel & toe shifter on my FLST. It worked great with the boards moved forward. The rear shift peg was behind the board and you just had to step down on it to upshift. I raised the forward arm up a notch to allow my size 12s to slide under a bit better.

Here's a pic that might show a bit more on the brake pedal:

Here's my clutch pedal side (your foot shift):

Old 01-30-2006 | 10:06 PM
UltraScoot
|
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: pococj

I moved mine forward half the length of the board by modifying the mounts on the boards. Had to modify the brake pedal to work with the boards. Here's what I did:

Grind or cut the mounting brackets off the bottom of your existing floorboards. Bolt, braze, or weld the front one back on, but in the middle of the board. Stick the floor boards back onto the front mount on the bike and you'll gain about 4 inches of leg room. If you have crash bars you'll have to check the clearance and possibly modify to make 'em fit.
I added a foot peg to the now empty rear mount on the bike just to give me another place to flop me brogans, but I kept grinding the ends off on turns, so I took 'em off and removed the mounts from the brackets/frame/primary.
Once you install the modified boards you'll have a problem with the brake pedal stabbing you in the side of your foot. You can buy one of the extended brake pedals or modify your existing one. I heated the foot pedal part of the lever and straightened it. Next I got a piece of angle iron and bolted it to the end of the straightened brake lever. I then cut a notch out of the lever about 2 inches from the pivot, bent it back together, and welded it so the pedal part was at the level I wanted. I then painted the whole thing wrinkle black. I mounted the rubber part of the foot pedal longways on the angle iron so it wouldn't extend too far out over the footboard. It works fine, looks great, and there ain't another one like it anywhere.
I used to have the have the heel & toe shifter on my FLST. It worked great with the boards moved forward. The rear shift peg was behind the board and you just had to step down on it to upshift. I raised the forward arm up a notch to allow my size 12s to slide under a bit better.
Thanks for the info Skip nice work... just to make myself a little clear. Using a couple fab plates as adapters would merly move all controls along with the stand forward 2-inches thus elimanating alot of fab, I would need to extend shift rod and brake line. just concerned displacing weight of bike on stand thats sits 2inches forward.

Old 01-30-2006 | 11:04 PM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member

Not sure I'd be comfortable with the stand moved forward, too. In the stock location it's pretty well supported by the frame rail directly behind it. If it's forward the plate might act as a lever, increasing the force on the assembly. I s'pose it'd be OK, unless you decide to add a kicker.

Old 01-30-2006 | 11:13 PM
Coaster
Ultimate HDF Member

I replaced my floorboards with forwards and installed 3" Ness extensions at the same time. I felt a little uncomfortable about moving the jiffy stand forward but you really have no choice with the extensions. When it was all said and done everything worked out fine. The only thing I do is give the stand an extra push forward before dismounting. I don't think it's necessary but I just feel safer knowing it will lock into place when I lean the bike down.

Old 01-31-2006 | 12:14 AM
UltraScoot
|
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: Coaster

I replaced my floorboards with forwards and installed 3" Ness extensions at the same time. I felt a little uncomfortable about moving the jiffy stand forward but you really have no choice with the extensions. When it was all said and done everything worked out fine. The only thing I do is give the stand an extra push forward before dismounting. I don't think it's necessary but I just feel safer knowing it will lock into place when I lean the bike down.
fowards look good on your ride, I want to stay with the boards; thinking they go with the deluxe look.

as for the kicker Skip, I will be giving this some thought...

Old 01-31-2006 | 01:45 AM
Coaster
Ultimate HDF Member

ORIGINAL: 06deluxe_scoot

fowards look good on your ride, I want to stay with the boards; thinking they go with the deluxe look.

as for the kicker Skip, I will be giving this some thought...
Thanks! I just wanted to give you my two cents on the jiffy stand. I can understand the concern there's a lot 'riding' on that stand. You don't want that to give.