Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The LOUDEST pipes

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2008, 02:05 PM
piekarj
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: The LOUDEST pipes

I have bassani pro streets now which are pretty loud( deffinatley not the loudest, but perform pretty well). The Santee 1 3/4" drag pipes that I used to run were the loudest. Very snappy and tons of noise on decel. They dont perform well though.

Old 03-10-2008, 02:13 PM
Old Texas Gringo
Advanced

V&H staggered short shots with loud baffels.

Old 03-10-2008, 06:19 PM
ChopperHammer666
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: story808

I also ran some 1 3/4 LAF's yah there pretty loud, and that about it loud...
but they got no soul to them, just a blap blap blap, but you're right none of my friends
would ride on my right side, hell i wouldn't ride on my right side... lol
I would rather have a nice tone, good sounding pipes over just noise makers.

Before... with the noise makers ;(

You gotta love them Rineharts...
I have the 2" pipes. Maybe the size difference makes a difference but the 2" pipes sound great with the added bonus of FLAMES!

Old 03-11-2008, 12:55 AM
Huey Driver
Tourer

ORIGINAL: bueller

ORIGINAL: Huey Driver

Also, to say that loud pipes arent good for the sport doesn't hold water with me either. This "sport" is about being unique, so if a person likes window shaking pipes then go for it. That's like saying skull themed paint is bad for the sport because it draws negative attention to Harley riders. Come on.

Different strokes for different folks.
This "sport" is NOT about being unique. The "sport" part of it is about riding. Being "unique" is an artistic expression - not sporty - and you are going to find that artistic expression in a public setting is censored if it is considered offensive to the masses, no matter what the constitution might say or imply.

The issue isn't that simple anyway, and you have not presented an equally weighted analogy. There is quite a difference between someone looking at skull themed paint and deciding they don't like it versus having the entire family awakened at 2 A.M. by a set of obnoxiously loud pipes. In one case the onlooker can simply choose not to look. In the other case every house the rider passes is having the rider's "music" forced upon them.

Agree to disagree on the unique aspect of riding chromed out motorcycles. However:

Waking people up at 2 AM with loud pipes has nothing to do with common sense or normal behavior, you're now talking about something that is just plain rude and irresponsible. Even having your car running continuously at 2 AM is being inconsiderate, so what yourtalking about and what I'm saying is completely different. If someone wants to have loud pipes then there are some obvious responsibilities that go along with that. Now if people are not following some basic respect other people guidelines then I wholeheartedly agree that he/she needs a serious attitude adjustment or a ticket.

What you're saying has a very slippery slope. This is exactly the kind of talk that has lead to outlawing smokingin most bars in NYC and has relegatedcigar aficianados to smoking in their own houses for fear of being offensive to the masses.This isan ethical paradigm thathas implications reaching far beyond your arguement of having "music forced upon" an individual. If this is your kind of society then Japan would be a perfect place, where conformist behavior is not only suggested but mandated. In Japan it's illegal to talk on cell phones while riding onpublic transportationand many towns have actually forbiden smoking on publicstreets; this is only a small taste of the erosion ofcivil rights that Japan has experienced.

While I may think that some of these laws have good aspects to them I also realize that there are repercussions that reverberate far beyond the scope of one innocent little law. I suppose this debate could last forever.

Old 03-11-2008, 02:00 AM
jumporjerkoff
Tourer

my side shots with se cams are loud...even with the quiet baffles!!

Old 03-11-2008, 02:05 AM
Leonc69
Intermediate

I have Thunderheaders with a built engine and a large cam. They are very loud when I want them to be. Loud isn't always the point though, to some it's tone. The Thunderheader has the best exhaust note IMHO. My friend has a 1200N with Bub Jug Huggers and it's the loudest 1200 I have heard. It also sounds (almost) like a big twin. Great tone. I agree with an earlier post though, pipes alone aren't enough. There is also heads, cam and intake.
Just my $.02

Leon.

Old 03-11-2008, 06:28 AM
bueller
Intermediate

ORIGINAL: Huey Driver

Agree to disagree on the unique aspect of riding chromed out motorcycles. However:

Waking people up at 2 AM with loud pipes has nothing to do with common sense or normal behavior, you're now talking about something that is just plain rude and irresponsible. Even having your car running continuously at 2 AM is being inconsiderate, so what your talking about and what I'm saying is completely different. If someone wants to have loud pipes then there are some obvious responsibilities that go along with that. Now if people are not following some basic respect other people guidelines then I wholeheartedly agree that he/she needs a serious attitude adjustment or a ticket.

What you're saying has a very slippery slope. This is exactly the kind of talk that has lead to outlawing smoking in most bars in NYC and has relegated cigar aficianados to smoking in their own houses for fear of being offensive to the masses. This is an ethical paradigm that has implications reaching far beyond your arguement of having "music forced upon" an individual. If this is your kind of society then Japan would be a perfect place, where conformist behavior is not only suggested but mandated. In Japan it's illegal to talk on cell phones while riding on public transportation and many towns have actually forbiden smoking on public streets; this is only a small taste of the erosion of civil rights that Japan has experienced.

While I may think that some of these laws have good aspects to them I also realize that there are repercussions that reverberate far beyond the scope of one innocent little law. I suppose this debate could last forever.
You are correct in that the debate could last forever. I can guarantee resolution won't come from an internet discussion, so technically there's not a lot of purpose in this other than education or perspective for others who might read.

The erosion of our rights over the last several years in this country is scary, and I have no intent of living in Japan or a Japanese-like society. That is certainly a "slippery slope" I don't want to be a part of. But once again I'll remind you that loud pipes are not a right. Nor is riding a motorcycle on public roads. They have never been rights. Using public roadways is a privilege. So this particular discussion is not about the erosion of rights, it is about the loss of privilege. Just like the smoking argument. It is not a smoker's right to subject others to the hazards of the habit.

With all of that in mind I can tell you I've heard just about every mass-produced exhaust available for Harley-Davidson motorcycles, and most of the brands available for metric bikes. I have such a high level of exposure because I both work for Harley dealers and spend time riding sport bikes and Supermotos at the track (Road courses like Road Atlanta, Mid-Ohio, etc.). The type of exhausts we are talking about cannot be made quiet. Just starting the bike up or riding away from a stop sign at light throttle violates night time noise laws several times over. Again I'm speaking from personal experience. When I had my EVO Wide Glide in the late 90's I used to start it up and ride away as gingerly as possible, so as not to bother the neighbors at 6:45 in the morning. Guess what? It didn't work. No one was mean about it, but I was told one by one that they all heard me leave every morning, loud and clear. The only person I was fooling was myself. My ultimate personal conclusion was anything louder than baffled, previous generation Screamin' Eagle slip-ons under LIGHT throttle was permeating the doors, windows, and insulation of the average house with enough intensity to wake people up. I have no specific test to offer along those lines, just my own anecdotal evidence. I know, shaky at best! But the point remains. You can't really make a loud exhaust quiet enough just by manipulating the throttle some special way. There is no

Old 03-11-2008, 01:17 PM
05 DELUXE
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

i run V&H short shots that are baffell free. loud isnt the word!chris (chopperhammer) i always ride on your right..lol. i just change my are plugs every so often.

[IMG]local://upfiles/1499/FF54DB96229B4F9CAB04BF04613782A5.jpg[/IMG]