Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fat Boy Wind and Buffeting

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2008, 11:35 AM
Toolguy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by atrain68
I need some advice. I'm riding a 2007 Fat Boy and my only complaint is the wind blast that comes up from the forks and gas tank. I like to run with a windshield on longer highway trips, but the windcauses a buffeting on my head and ears that gives me double vision. Thanks.
Wear earplugs and get some goggles. I get teary eyes with sunglasses at higher speeds but it's gone with goggles.

Old 09-09-2008, 04:54 PM
Demkay
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had that same problem, couldn't believe it. Told the dealer and he just said, yup, live with it or get the chrome lowers.

Did that and it solved all the problems. Absolutely no updraft now, or none that I noticed.

If you're gonna throw on a windshield, which is ugly as hell in my opinion, what you worried about the chrome lowers for. If it's that much of a problem then attach the chrome lowers to the windshield. A guy did it on this forum last year. Bit of a project but when he removed the shield; off came the lowers too. Do a search, it's here somewhere.

---------------------------

Last edited by Demkay; 09-09-2008 at 04:56 PM.
Old 09-10-2008, 08:32 AM
mplecha
Stellar HDF Member
Received 163 Likes on 101 Posts

get rid of the windshield. I don't have one on my fatboy and never will. I have no problem with buffeting unless I'm behind a semi or something. I think they look geezerish, anyway. I guess I should be thankful that I'm young enough to sacrifice comfort for looks.

Old 09-12-2008, 10:55 AM
lclement
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

May have found and answer to this windshield buffing problem. www.clearviewshields.com this company makes the plastic that is predrilled to fit you king sized brackets. They are backed up from the previous ridding season so delivery will be 5-7 weeks. Anyway I plan to give them a try. Called them and they were very nice and offered many suggestions to help resolve the problem.

To reiterate my issue was the wind coming over the top of the shield not the lower and this company puts a re-curve (slight) in the top 2 inches of the shield to push the air 1-2 inches higher then without, so in theory you could use the same sized wind shield while the air is pushed up higher (exactly what I need!)

Don’t get me wrong I love the wind in my face to but not while going 80 MPH for 4 hours on the interstate…

Price inst bad about 160.00 per shield depending on the bike model.

Old 09-12-2008, 11:49 AM
acchd
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by atrain68
I need some advice. I'm riding a 2007 Fat Boy and my only complaint is the wind blast that comes up from the forks and gas tank. I like to run with a windshield on longer highway trips, but the windcauses a buffeting on my head and ears that gives me double vision.

Does anyone have any thoughts on lower wind deflectors? HD has the chrome ones, but I'm not sure if I like the look. Does anyone run with some aftermarket lowers they like?

Thanks.
I ran a rigid mount King Size on my Fatty came off a Heritage for yrs and had max protection and no issues like that. If you have passing lamps it'll fit yours. It's for sale for good price if you're interested.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/motorcycle-parts-for-sale-misc-parts/270081-flst-softail-windshield-86-06-a.html

Old 09-12-2008, 08:04 PM
lclement
Cruiser

Ordered my clearview windscreen today, they are way busy had to call several times to get through. But again very friendly (talk to john)

Ordered the tallest I could for the fatboy due to my seat raising me up a little higher then stock plus have to factor in the extra height my helmet will go. May have to look through the shield but that’s fine, these shields can have rain-x applied without causing dullness (unlike most plastics) so that should help tremendously.

Got the clear, with re-curve (at the top supposed to move wind up another 2 inches) and also added the windshield vent. Since this shield is so tall I didn’t want to “not“ have no air flow incase of hot weather. This is the same type of vent that the Honda’s come with on some models.

Altogether costs 230.00! For a piece of plastic manufactured and shipped. I am very confident that it will eliminate my problem of not being able to wear a helmet with my current windscreen due to severe wind buffeting resulting in a nasty head ache.

The vent may look out of place and a little stupid but if its comfortable then what the heck, will still look better then those chrome lowers, I may try the Memphis shades plastic lowers in the futures and see if that helps any. I would think that with this new wind screen and the Memphis lowers this should be a good combination. Will not ship for 5 weeks due to high demand... oh well if it works then I will be a very happy person.

Man these mods are really adding up… 600 exhaust, 500 seat, 325 Harley windscreen (which doesn’t work) 200 leather coat, 230 clear ) still need to get a passenger seat (mustang) sissy barview (hope it works! and saddle bags plus rain gear which have to wait until next year, deer season is just around the corner

Instead of ridding the bike freezing my A$$ I get to sit in a tree freezing my A$$ off… Yee Haaaaw

Old 09-13-2008, 05:11 PM
unimog_willys
Intermediate

wow

went for a ride 1 hour ago and agree the wind coming up the tank needs to go. I put my hand arround the fuel gage and it stopped lots of the wind. does not need much to fix

its 5*C here today and its nice to keep the chill off so windshield stays

but summer.... windshield goes

Last edited by unimog_willys; 09-13-2008 at 05:35 PM.
Old 11-03-2008, 08:27 AM
gwozhog
Advanced

Throw your windshield away.

Old 11-03-2008, 09:12 AM
SlickT
Intermediate

I bought a Memphis Shades windshield, and purposely got it short so I could still feel the wind on my face, but not so much resistance on my body for a ride from NJ to Daytona. I was greatful for the comfort, but my shades did rattle on my face for most of the trip, very annoying. Once down there my bro made me buy a new DOT helmet. I rode with the new helmet, which is much bigger than my old novelty cap, and life was good. Then I took the windshield off, it was like I had a parachute on my head. I could barely keep my head forward with the new helmet on! I had to put the windshield back on just to keep the creak out of my neck. I don't like the look of a windshield, but it definately makes riding more comfortable. I just wish DOT helmets weren't so darn big!

Old 11-03-2008, 11:58 AM
06flstf
Tourer

I pulled the little visor off that was on my DOT 1/2 helmet and it made a huge difference on the neck tension / parachute effect. Am still thinking about getting a windshield for my '06 Fatboy for longer rides. Rode from Ky to Ohio (4 hours) without one and it felt like I had been hit by a truck when I got home.

Quick Reply: Fat Boy Wind and Buffeting