Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fat Boy Wind and Buffeting

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2008, 08:42 PM
brownie9xi
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Fat Boy Wind and Buffeting

I have an '06 Wide Glide with the buffeting problem when using the shield. I found a 14" fork bag at J & P Cycle that I mounted below the shield and it sticks out about an inch on each side of the forks. This has eliminated most, but not all, buffeting. Not sure if that will work on your Fat Boy.

Old 03-11-2008, 06:22 PM
atrain68
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I don't think you are going to have a huge amount of trouble with a windshield. The right windshield will help make the ride more comfortable, but for those of us using the big king sized windshiled, you will likely get some updraft.

I wonder whether anyone who owns a windvest can chime in and let us know if you are getting updraft and buffeting?

Old 03-11-2008, 06:26 PM
voyager1
Outstanding HDF Member

Thru the years, I have had all sizes . They all make a lot of up draft.

Old 03-11-2008, 06:37 PM
drharley
Cruiser

Windshields are only good when it's cold. It helps keep youf rom freezing your *** off. But as soon as it gets over 45 degrees regularly, it's gone. It's the look and with all the windshields and lowers and this and that, we have lost that "cool' identifier.

Old 03-11-2008, 11:06 PM
mgmmgm
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Hi all,
For me, I like my windshield/screen. I have tried riding without it a couple of times, butfelt like I got beat up after riding 100 miles without it. I'm the only guy in our group that rides with a screen- oh well.

I'd like to ride without a screen, just used to it - and think thebike looks better without it. I have been thankful many times when a bit of rain was tossed inon a ride.

As for buffeting, I have noticed some when going over 70 mph, not that bad though.

Cheers,

Mark

And the freaking snow is about gone, and that's a good thing.

Old 03-12-2008, 03:30 PM
Hrd Rider
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Dugan,
I have ridden for years with and without windshields. Riding locally or forshort low speed rides,true no Windshield is needed. On your long 2k-6k mileruns you best haveone or else wear aSteel Helmet and an Iron Mask. You only have to get hit in the face once with a flying rock launched fromthe dual tires of a dump truck, or the smaller high velocity chips comingfrom the tires of a cager, or some flying crap from an open Beverly Hillbilly'spickupto wish you had a Windshield. Even though you do feel the windbuffeting and the turbulence that gives the effect of double vision, atInterstate speeds of 70--80 mph I won't ride without one.

They also help to a degreewhen caught in a downpour after havingslid your glasses down on your noseand the rain is pelting your eyes so badly that you can't see, plus there isn't any place to pull off the road safely. You still have a little protection from theWinshield. Like all else do what you think best. Hrd Rider

Old 03-12-2008, 08:48 PM
wyld3
Advanced

This must be the draft that hits me right on the chin. I am not a fan of winshields, but cannot take the noise of the wind in my ears. I talked to a lady at a dealer, and she said she uses some wax plugs available at any drug store. I do not like riding with ear plugs, cause they just fall out, so I opted for the stupid standard winshield to fend of noise during long rides. Just purchased an 08 Fatboy, and like the look, without the shield, but i guess thats what I get.

Old 03-12-2008, 09:00 PM
MetalSpike
Road Warrior
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

ORIGINAL: wyld3

This must be the draft that hits me right on the chin. I am not a fan of winshields, but cannot take the noise of the wind in my ears. I talked to a lady at a dealer, and she said she uses some wax plugs available at any drug store. I do not like riding with ear plugs, cause they just fall out, so I opted for the stupid standard winshield to fend of noise during long rides. Just purchased an 08 Fatboy, and like the look, without the shield, but i guess thats what I get.
WYLD3, I too ride an 08 fatboy. I use ear plugs to lower the wind noise. Since most of the riding I do is 50 - 70 mph I've been thinking of putting on a windshied. How is the wind noise and the wind buffetting with the windshield?

Thanks

Old 09-08-2008, 11:01 PM
lclement
Cruiser

Originally Posted by MetalSpike
WYLD3, I too ride an 08 fatboy. I use ear plugs to lower the wind noise. Since most of the riding I do is 50 - 70 mph I've been thinking of putting on a windshied. How is the wind noise and the wind buffetting with the windshield?

Thanks

When I wear a helmet the buffeting is moderate to severe, cant take it very long, but when I don’t wear a helmet I am comfortable but, around here we have to many deer so I think I need to wear one. I ride at 80 mph on the interstate and if I don’t have the screen on I feel like I am getting blown off the bike.

There is an updraft that comes from in front of my knees which I cant block, tried the chrome lowers but they are just so dang fugly… maybe I will try some Memphis shades, I here they work rather well and defiantly look better.

Old 09-09-2008, 06:57 AM
IronAss
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 12,258 Likes on 4,784 Posts

Originally Posted by atrain68
It's interesting that you say the lower profile windshield helped. It crossed my mind that less windshield might help the issue. I just ordered a two inches shorter than stock replacement from Cee Baileys. I like the fork bag idea.

As a last resort I will go with the memphis shades lowers or the chrome fangs. Since there is interest on the topic, I will post what I find.
I had the same problem with my Springer Classic and went to a "windvest" and it made a big difference. Cut the buffeting but still keeps the **** off of your face and chest. They are pricey but I found a used one on ebay and it only cost me $85.00 including the shipping. (they retail in $300.00+ range).

Quick Reply: Fat Boy Wind and Buffeting