Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

benefits of tach

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2008, 06:14 AM
George C
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: benefits of tach

ORIGINAL: YEFFRO12

I just hated being clueless to what my RPM was. I knew when to shift, but damn I needed to know exactly what RPM I was at. :shrugs:
If you like to race your friends likeI do, you'll need a tach. All of my friends have had some engine work done, and we all like to flex our muscle a little on the ride back.
My cam is good right up to 5K, and I use every drop of HP she can make. Without a tach, I would be a little scared to "guess" where the engine is at, and I'm not about to leave any HP on the table...

If your deal is to just putt around town, and never get racey, you'll never need a tach....

Old 03-07-2008, 07:43 AM
mt325
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Igo at it all the time with my girl. She has a 1200 Custom and even after my engine work she beats me off the line. But on the highway forget about it. I chalk it up to the fact that she is 110lbs and I'm 260 plus that weight difference in the back, right? I am leaning towards the idea of a tach, not a nessisty but nice to know that it is there when you need it. Like a Springfield 45 under your bed.

Old 03-07-2008, 10:49 AM
Road_Clam
Road Captain
Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts

ORIGINAL: Demkay

Tells me exactly when to shift etc etc.

I don't have a lot of experience, so for me it's great. Oh, and I like the looks of it alot better than the stock setup. And, it's alot brighter.

While you are looking down watching the rpm's and admiring your dash tach, watch out for the pedestrian who just jay-walked in front of your because you were not keeping your head UP.......

NO friggin way would I have a "dash tach". I try not to even watch the speedo.... but that gets me in trouble also!

Old 03-07-2008, 11:01 AM
grumpy irish again
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if you have money that just needs to be spent get a tach.
if you are that **** and need to know what rpm you are at at 80mph get a tach
if all your buddies have one and your bike looks naked with out one get a tach.
if you are like me and don't git a darn what rpm you are doing at 80mph
and have a limited budget don't get a tach..

Old 03-07-2008, 11:29 AM
DeJavu
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

In the first few yrs after building my chopper, I would run it at the local 1/8mi drags. An Evo with no rev limiter. After a number of runs I decided to not shift to 4th(had high gearing for max launch). It really wound out in 3rd, didn't find out til many miles later while pulling the top end apart that I had broken the front pushrod. It came out in 2 pieces. It was stll running well cause it was a compression break(floated valve?) and just held in place by the spring pressure. I don't know what RPMs I hit, but it was too many. A tach would have helped a lot. I don't do that kind of stuff anymore!

Old 03-07-2008, 11:35 AM
mplecha
Stellar HDF Member
Received 165 Likes on 102 Posts

as long as it keeps pulling, I know I'm under the redline. I don't get why someone would need a tach with a factory rev limiter.

Old 03-07-2008, 01:50 PM
Road_Clam
Road Captain
Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts

I don't need a tach. When I hear the valves float, I know that's about7000 rpm's and it's time to shift.

I'll save the $200 on a tach, and just buy newvalves later on....

Old 03-07-2008, 02:28 PM
tmitchellof PG
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

The main benefit of my tach, is that it came with a Scremin Eagle Fat Boy, attached to it.

Ilook at the tach about as much as I look at the speedometer. It helps me to keep the engineat a better RPM range,for certain conditions. Right before I enter a curve I look at my tach to see what RPM I am at. If I am not around 2,800 RPMs, or higher I will downshift. When I amcruising slow through the neighborhood, I check to see that my RPMs are at least 2,200, so I am not lugging the engine. When I am in heavy traffic, I keep my RPMs up a bit higher. This way I can accelerate orengine brake quicker if I have to.

I could do without a tach, but once you get use to one, it seems kind of natural to have it.
Tom

Old 03-07-2008, 07:41 PM
Demkay
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow, seems to be a lot of pissed off, tactless; tach haters around here.

.......... please don't hate us 'cuz we have tachs.

Old 03-09-2008, 12:42 AM
Stretchman
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force
Received 220 Likes on 138 Posts

I want one so bad, but there isn't a bracket made for the bike yet. I am waiting to see if HD is going to come through for me.

Quick Reply: benefits of tach