Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

quick release windshields, do they work?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2008, 11:37 AM
Live2Ride
Banned Camp
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: quick release windshields, do they work?

You might want to take a look at the Windvest also. I bought mine thinkin' I would take it off when I wasn't goin' on longer trips, but after ridin' with it, it'll definitely be stayin' on my bike. It's really small, so it doesn't take away from the look of the bike. Also, because of it's design, it can be really small and still work really good. It doesn't block quite as much wind as the bigger windshields, but it does make it so you don't get beat to death by the wind. My 12.5" apes and Windvest are the best mods I've done to my bike. I could ride my bike across the country with no problems.

Old 03-03-2008, 12:56 PM
Waterse
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just make sure you get the right hight on your windshield. If it's too low it will direct wind square in your face. When sitting on your bike the top of the shield should be just below eye level so you look just over the top of the shield when looking down the road but not through it.

Old 03-03-2008, 01:04 PM
Sammi
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

Have one on my Low Rider and it's on most of the time.

Haven't experienced any undue buffeting at high speeds. I have it adjusted soit is at eye level and I look over it.

Sammi

Old 03-03-2008, 01:48 PM
coyotedustr
Advanced

thanks for all the input. I am starting to lean this way. Which height did you guys go with?

Old 03-03-2008, 01:57 PM
bryan72
Cruiser

I have the quick detach windshield for my nighttrain. It works awesome, especially on the highway, I use it for long trips, and cold days..
The turn signals did need to be moved, Harley has a kit for this that moves them to the lower triple tree, but I can't stand them there, and the new mounts they give you kindof suck. I'd skip the kit and stick the signals under the lower triple tree, using the original stock mounts. The wires should reach ( it's only an inch or so lower than stock ).

Here's a pic of the bike loaded up with the shield:

[IMG]local://upfiles/51666/E3A33DCB43514DE3A833D5FB199C036C.jpg[/IMG]

Old 03-03-2008, 02:26 PM
bgismo20
Road Warrior

ABSOLUTELY! Love my dtechable screen, I like to show my bike & dont want the shield on for that but for just cruising around town in regular weather (if its rainy or cold ill use it) I dont use it

Old 03-03-2008, 02:54 PM
beaureed445
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I just bought my detachible windshield 2 months ago, and like it a lot. I'm not into the windshield look either, but when traveling in the cold, or a long distance, it's nice to have. Mine came with the turn signal relocation kit, to move them from the bars to the triple trees. I didn't need it, because when I switched from softail standard to night train bars, I removed the front signals. If you're going to ride from Chicago to New Orleans, I'd highly recommend spending the $400 for a windshield.

Old 03-03-2008, 03:11 PM
ohiosofttail06
Advanced

I bought a Memphis Shades for my Standard (mostly because HD didn't have one in stock and I was leaving for a 8 hour ride).. Actually saved a little money and works great- some buffetting from under the shield that you get used to, and nice to take it off when its not cold, or not putting the 600 mile days on.

Old 03-03-2008, 03:23 PM
mimo
Extreme HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeap, they work just fine.

Mimo.

Old 03-04-2008, 08:18 PM
Simatank
Tourer

have one on my 07 nighttrain and much nicer ride on long trips i had to change my turn signals on the front to and it's nice if i'am riding around town i can pop it of in seconds.I found it well wearth the money i spent,I bought the HD smoked flame windsheild looks good on the bike to

Quick Reply: quick release windshields, do they work?