Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

removing grips, and installing new ones????

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2008, 06:20 PM
REBELWEST
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default removing grips, and installing new ones????

hey guys what is the best way to remove my stock grips? is there anyway to get them off without ripping them? also how hard is it to put new grips on? thank you for your time, sincerly Nick West

Old 02-26-2008, 06:35 PM
bubbabear
Road Master
Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts
Default RE: removing grips, and installing new ones????

Had to cut my clutch side off.

Old 02-26-2008, 06:44 PM
The Baron
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

If you take a long thing screwdriver and work it into the let side grip you can squirt a lubricant in there, I use Simple green, and just start working it around. Obviously rubber grips are easier than ones that are billet with rubber inside likesome billet HD grips.

Old 02-26-2008, 06:52 PM
rpt63
Tourer

You could try a heat gun to loosen the glue and twist it back and forth until it breaks loose, I was able to save my left grip.

Old 02-26-2008, 07:06 PM
cskyler22
Advanced

yea, it's pretty simple really. With that being said, the left/clutch side is glued on. Either heat it up and twist like hell to get it off, heat and try a screw driver, or like most of us do, just take a razor blade, cut the grip and peel off-cause what are the chances of putting stock grips back on....

Before you remove the grips, an idea would be to take a small marker and mark how far up the stock grips are, that way you know you got the custom grips on far enought, also mark a point to make sure you have the brake and clutch aligned to the right position. Not to high, not to low.

With the clutch side, make sure you get the glue off the bar prior to putting on the custom grips...

Make sure you have the correct TORX wrench as you dont want to strip the screws that are in the turn signal controls.

That's really it.... Helps to have a second person to hold the brake resavoir while changing the grips, that way you don't accidently drop it and scratch your tank or anything else.....

Hope that helps a little.

****NOTE***** some of those are from personal experience........ I mean i know a guy who did those things lol

Old 02-26-2008, 08:34 PM
REBELWEST
Advanced

thanks guys for all the help! just didnt want to screw anything up!

Old 02-27-2008, 09:57 AM
Six Gunner
Advanced

Here is how somebody showed me how to do it. They sent me this info so I am not sure where it came from. Hope this helps.

1.) Cut an 8" piece of steel coat hanger, and make an "S" bend at one end.

2.) Carefully insert your new "tool" under the grip. You may have to twist it back and forth a little to get it all the way down. (boy did I enjoy writing that ;-)

3.) Now, using the "S" bend as a handle, start rotating the wire as if you were opening a sardine can (Ya'll do eat sardines don't ya?)

If you rotate the wire clockwise, it will "walk" its way counter clockwise around the handlebar, breaking the glue bond as it goes.

4.) When you have completely encircled the bar, remove the wire, grasp the grip with both hands and twist, or "unscrew" it from the bar. If you have access to compressed air, sometimes it helps to inject air under the grip by placing the air nozzle right against the front edge. This will make sliding the grip off a bit easier.

Old 02-27-2008, 10:03 AM
Six Gunner
Advanced

Trying to upload a pic.

[IMG]local://upfiles/52070/C97B83AC1C0B4C33B813824BF375F437.jpg[/IMG]

Old 02-27-2008, 10:06 AM
The Baron
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: Six Gunner

Trying to upload a pic.

[IMG]local://upfiles/52070/C97B83AC1C0B4C33B813824BF375F437.jpg[/IMG]
Nice illustration!

Old 02-27-2008, 11:24 AM
Road_Clam
Road Captain
Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts

ORIGINAL: Six Gunner

Here is how somebody showed me how to do it. They sent me this info so I am not sure where it came from. Hope this helps.

1.) Cut an 8" piece of steel coat hanger, and make an "S" bend at one end.

2.) Carefully insert your new "tool" under the grip. You may have to twist it back and forth a little to get it all the way down. (boy did I enjoy writing that ;-)

3.) Now, using the "S" bend as a handle, start rotating the wire as if you were opening a sardine can (Ya'll do eat sardines don't ya?)

If you rotate the wire clockwise, it will "walk" its way counter clockwise around the handlebar, breaking the glue bond as it goes.

4.) When you have completely encircled the bar, remove the wire, grasp the grip with both hands and twist, or "unscrew" it from the bar. If you have access to compressed air, sometimes it helps to inject air under the grip by placing the air nozzle right against the front edge. This will make sliding the grip off a bit easier.
If we are talking about removing the stock HD grip, they ain't worth the time spent with the patient "coat hangar" method.

A hooked lineolium knife takes 30 seconds max. scrape off residue, and clean with alcahol. Done.

If you are trying to remove a $70 Kuryakyn ISO grip or something like that, then by all means take the slow andpatient route.....

Quick Reply: removing grips, and installing new ones????