Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cross Wind

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2008, 12:38 PM
Northside
Road Warrior
Received 142 Likes on 88 Posts
Default RE: Cross Wind

ORIGINAL: 08fatboy

Just wondering if it's me or has anyone else noticed the bike being moved in a crosswind? The bike is a 2008 FatBoy with the cast wheels. Now I have to say I haven't been riding in several years and just bought this bike a few weeks ago. I think it has got to be the wheels cathing the wind.
All these guys can tell you the cast wheels aren't a problem, they ARE! I bought a new '02 Fatboy. I was always feeling something wierd in moderate winds. It never did anything bad, it just always felt like it was going to. It wasn't a comfortable ride, and I'd been riding Harleys since 1970. I was going to sell it, but tried spoke wheels as a last resort. I put on the new wheels and went for a ride on the interstate as a front was coming in, real windy. It felt just like any other bike in the wind now. I could relax. Huge difference. I rode the same bike with both sets of wheels. There IS a difference

[IMG]local://upfiles/27978/BF18BAD5F1F04DB38E8398E6CB0604D4.jpg[/IMG]

Old 02-20-2008, 12:55 PM
George C
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: Northside

There IS a difference
Trust us, their isn't....

Old 02-20-2008, 01:11 PM
Live2Ride
Banned Camp
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I get blown around on my bike too. It probably has more to do with the wind catchin' your body, than your wheels. If it's really windy outside, I normally wind up gettin' blow all around in the lane I'm in. I've never crossed over into another lane, though. I think your cast wheels are fine. Unless you're lookin' for an excuse to get new wheels. In that case, you definitely have to get rid of them!

Old 02-20-2008, 04:35 PM
aviator
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

well - that's 11 that says it doesn't matter - no matter what you ride

and 1 says he gets blown around with stock fatty wheels......

hummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm?????????????????

Old 02-20-2008, 04:42 PM
monsterdeluxe
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Northside is on crack.

Didnt notice a difference from Fatboy to Road King. Still get pushed around.

Old 02-20-2008, 05:57 PM
Northside
Road Warrior
Received 142 Likes on 88 Posts

ORIGINAL: monsterdeluxe

Northside is on crack.

Didnt notice a difference from Fatboy to Road King. Still get pushed around.

If you read what I said before making insulting remarks you'd know I didn't say a thing about being pushed around by the wind, it just "feels" wierd in the wind. He asked if anyone else felt this. I did. I rode the same bike before and after. I felt a significant difference. So I'm on crack. The difference between a Road King and a Fatboy is more relevant? I ain't exactly a new rider. I have 3 Harleys licenced and insured. I've been doing rides to both coasts for over 35 years, have built frame up choppers and wore a rather infamous patch for many of those years. Fatboy cast wheels feel wierd in the wind compared to spokes on one of my my bikes. I know the difference.

Old 02-20-2008, 06:48 PM
stro1965
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 710 Likes on 353 Posts

My Fatboy was nuttin compared to my Ultra. Now there's a big bike with a lot of surface area. I never bought into the "myth" about the wheels and the wind. Baloney.

Old 02-21-2008, 07:44 PM
aviator
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: Northside

ORIGINAL: 08fatboy

Just wondering if it's me or has anyone else noticed the bike being moved in a crosswind? The bike is a 2008 FatBoy with the cast wheels. Now I have to say I haven't been riding in several years and just bought this bike a few weeks ago. I think it has got to be the wheels cathing the wind.
All these guys can tell you the cast wheels aren't a problem, they ARE! I bought a new '02 Fatboy. I was always feeling something wierd in moderate winds. It never did anything bad, it just always felt like it was going to. It wasn't a comfortable ride, and I'd been riding Harleys since 1970. I was going to sell it, but tried spoke wheels as a last resort. I put on the new wheels and went for a ride on the interstate as a front was coming in, real windy. It felt just like any other bike in the wind now. I could relax. Huge difference. I rode the same bike with both sets of wheels. There IS a difference

[IMG]local://upfiles/27978/BF18BAD5F1F04DB38E8398E6CB0604D4.jpg[/IMG]
ok, that cuts it..... I'm having a set of Ultra wheels put on my Fatty... no more cross wind problems..... just wonder how all that wind can go through those little slots and not the holes on my Fatty wheels??????? and that doesn't even count the hard bags hiding the rear wheels.......

Old 02-21-2008, 08:18 PM
Cliff M
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If the wind's up your going to get pushed around, it doesn't matter what bike you're on. I try to keep ahead of trucks as this just makes things worse. If possible I try to keep one lane between me and the truck whenever possible. Most of the time you can't do this.

Old 02-21-2008, 10:45 PM
ChromeJunkie
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 4,229 Likes on 1,844 Posts

Happens to me too. I have had laced and spoked alloy wheels and has happened with both. I am willing to bet all the beer in the cooler it isn't the wheels.