Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fender Scrape

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2006 | 12:08 PM
Edmo
|
Road Master
Default Fender Scrape

I'm having an issue with my 2005 Heritage and was wondering if anyone else has experienced it with their bikes...

The upper chrome cover on my left front fork (aka: Cowbell) has rubbed a thin line on the painted side of my fender. It has rubbed through the clear coat and is now starting into the color. You can see the line in the enclosed pic.

Both HD service managers here in the Little Rock area have looked at it and said they have never seen this before, so I called HD and started a file with them. Yesterday I dropped off digital pics of the scuffing at my dealer and he is forwarding them to HD. His comment when I asked what the resolution would be was, "We'll see what HD has to say."

The bike is 6 months old with 8,000 miles and has never been in an accident or even dropped. I can only assume there is a fit & finish issue with the factory since these parts should not be touching. On a bike this new I'm expecting a new painted fender from HD along with a fix to the alignment issues to prevent future scuffing.

Thoughts? Anyone seen this on their bikes? I'm sure you are scurrying out to the garage to check!

Edmo

[IMG]local://upfiles/1690/BBF856118169428190D21B6E7DEBFAF3.jpg[/IMG]

Old 01-22-2006 | 01:31 PM
05 DELUXE
Road Master
Default RE: Fender Scrape

off the top of my head i would say that ....maybe..there should be a gap between the fender and fork. this should allow for vibration and such. could it be that a spacer is required and was never installed?? the fender seems to close to the fork for my taste

john

Old 01-22-2006 | 01:32 PM
05 DELUXE
Road Master

do you have a mark on the other side??? could it be the fender was scraped before installed...factory defect?? you should definetly be compensated by HD!!!

Old 01-22-2006 | 02:41 PM
itsahog
Cruiser

6 months old, and your dealer says we'll see what HD says? 1st thing I would do is find a different dealer. You have a putz currently. Your bike should not have any issues at this stage of the game. Of course they should correct the problem. You pay 20K area for your ride and they tell you that. What BS! HD will no doubt fix it, your dealer is the problem.

Old 01-22-2006 | 03:30 PM
james98ws6
Stage III

Jones Harley of Little Rock and Hot Springs are total ********. Go to Jonesboro or Fort Smith Harley.
I know of 2 other people besides myself who have been treated like crap, or ignored in the show room.

James

Old 01-22-2006 | 03:41 PM
HDF Tech
Banned

In order for the cowbell to contact the fender, there has to be something loose and being able to move to make the contact. Either the fender or the cowbell is loose or worse, the front end is not secure, possible the trees or tubes. In any event the dealer should not let you ride it until they find the peoblem as it could be a safety issue and I would make sure they give you a new fender also. Also could be an oil fill differential problem , one leg with no or low oil?

Old 01-22-2006 | 05:23 PM
vegashd
Banned

ORIGINAL: james98ws6

Jones Harley of Little Rock and Hot Springs are total ********. Go to Jonesboro or Fort Smith Harley.
I know of 2 other people besides myself who have been treated like crap, or ignored in the show room.

James

Hell I wish I oculd have some peace in a showroom.

Old 01-23-2006 | 12:02 PM
WolfDog
Road Master

I know this wont help cause I have not taken a picture, but I looked at mine yesterday afternoon in the garage and it has at least a 3/4" gap between the fork tubes and the side of the fender.

Something bad is wrong here as you well know, safely get it to the dealer for a look, and lets us know the final outcome.

Old 01-23-2006 | 07:12 PM
bassrock
Tourer

I had a chrome front end put on my heritage and never noticed till later that there is a pretty good groove dug into the front fender. Since i didn't notice this right away until I wash and waxed it I never said anything to the dealership figured they would just say I did it. Don't know how they did it but know I never did anything to cause this.

Old 01-23-2006 | 09:14 PM
CobraKid
Road Captain

Edmo, like Wolfdog said: I also have an 05 Heritage, I just went out and checked mine and there is at least 3/4 of an inch clearance between the fork and the fender, get that checked out buddy and make them fix it!!!! Keep us informed!!!

Quick Reply: Fender Scrape