Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for Slip on muffler recommendation

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2008, 10:35 PM
NC Pirate
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Looking for Slip on muffler recommendation

There have been any posts on this, but since the "search" function still isn't working, here you go.....

The out diameter of the pipes are all the same. The difference is the baffle inside the pipe, or more specifically, the amount of open flow through area inside. 1.5 is the quietest, and 2.25 is very loud.The good thing about Rush is that the baffles can easily be changed out to get the sound you like. 1.75's are a good place to start, a good low rumble, loud if you get on it, but not obnoxious. The 1.5's aren't much louder than stock. They say that the 1.5's and 1.75's require no fuel management devices, (IE Sert, PCIII.) Anything above that you will need at least an ECM flash or tuner and air filter upgrade such as the big sucker or K&N......

Old 02-14-2008, 11:06 PM
snowmass
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Pirate is right. Jamie at Fuelmoto suggested the 1.75 baffles, and said "They are louder than you think".They are, butthey sound really good. I took some actual db measurements on them compared to stock, and posted those numbers on here somewhere. They were only a little higher at idle, but quite a bit higher at higher RPM.

Old 02-15-2008, 01:17 AM
CoyoteJoe
Banned

Thanks NC,

I was doing some searches, but being new here I didn't quite realize it was broken, I just thought there weren't any hits on it. I see in a lot of messages, the Rush pipes seem pretty popular. I also checked the Harley catalog about the SE pipes, and they don't mention anything about a ECM flash, but the Air Filter and other things do, so I assumed a mild pipe enhancement doesn't need a flash. I am wanting to get the PCIII, but I'm considering the SERT, but leaning towards the PCIII. I was thinking about getting pipes now, and putting them on soon, and postpone the air filter and PCIII until spring, so I can actually road test it after installation. Two of my friends have PCIII's in thier bikes, and they seem to like them.

Any idea how difficult it is to replace the baffles in the Rush pipes? I'm just wondering in case I want to change that. All my riding buddies have either stock, SE pipes, and one has open pipes. When riding season starts out, I can check out other bikes in the area and chapter, but since I'm in Chicago, it'll be a while before that happens.

Can you recommend a good place to buy the Rush's??

Many thanks,
Joe

Old 02-15-2008, 07:51 AM
Deuce Bigelow
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Fuelmoto is a good place to buy the rush slipons..

I went with the 2.25" baffles because I wanted it to sound like a harley should.
the 2.25" baffles areas loud as any aftermarket exhaust like V&H, cobra, bub, etc.... but it has a very deep tone to it!

Old 02-15-2008, 01:08 PM
snowmass
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It is very easy to replace the baffles on the Rush; just remove one screw on the bottom of the muffler and the baffle slides out the back. Incidentally, when you put the new mufflers on you might want to put a little anti-sieze at the joint. It will help if/when you ever want to take them off.

Old 02-15-2008, 03:35 PM
NC Pirate
Road Master

Deuce is right, give Jamie @ Fuelmoto a call. His prices were much better than throughthe dealership, and the customer service is the best. My 1st set came all scratched up. They weren'tpackaged correctly from the factory, and were loose in the box. I called Jamie as soon as I opened the box, and he had another set on the way to me the next day, before I could even send the 1st ones back! You just can't beat that.......

Old 02-15-2008, 10:41 PM
heywood727
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: snowmass

It is very easy to replace the baffles on the Rush; just remove one screw on the bottom of the muffler and the baffle slides out the back. Incidentally, when you put the new mufflers on you might want to put a little anti-sieze at the joint. It will help if/when you ever want to take them off.
And you will have to take them off. If you look at my picture below, the rear slip-on in directly in line with the rear axl. I have to remove it to get the tire off. Don't spin it (the axl shaft)the other way.

I've been lucky enough to not have to use anti-seize.

Old 02-16-2008, 07:28 AM
voyager1
Outstanding HDF Member

Last time i checked : Cyclespot had the best prices on Rush .