Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Chrome switches for Switch housing

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2006, 05:50 PM
canuk cruiser
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chrome switches for Switch housing

I want to install the HD chrome switches on my Fatty but am a little nervous. I want to rid myself of the stock black ones but it seems pretty delicate in there. I guess if I have to I will pay the big bucks for Harley to do it, but if anyone out there has done this can you let me know how it went, and maybe some tips if you have them.

Thanks

Old 01-20-2006, 06:22 PM
LUV2RIDE
Advanced
Default RE: Chrome switches for Switch housing

If your going to change the switches just for the look of chrome check out jp they have the hole assembly. I changed my houseings to chrome but kept the switches black. I thoought it would break up the chrome look and I,m glad I did

Old 01-20-2006, 06:47 PM
HDF Tech
Banned
Received 152 Likes on 43 Posts

It's not as bad as it seems, just time consuming and some patients, here's a thread about the housing replacement and if you want the chrome buttons themselves, once you have it apart it's little more to put them on too... https://www.hdforums.com/m_217399/tm.htm

Old 01-20-2006, 10:38 PM
JLOCKHART29
Road Captain
Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Yea I did mine. 1) Get A HD manual or forget it. This goes for most any thing. If you are going to do any of your own work it should be your 1st accessary 2) Make sure you put a wedge in break lever before you do any thing 3) Be sure and do not loose your throtal lock C clip and friction shoe when you undo switch housing on right 3) When I cut the switch cable straps on break side , my break switch rotated down and I didn't notice when it did. Took me 2 hr. to figure what happened as I called my self paying attention carefully when it came apart. Also watch where the little clip that holds tension on break switch came from. 4) Those little plastechrome cap covers are tougher than they look. I swear I was going to break one trying to get it over the little studs but I didn't. Once you get the break side done, the clutch side is a snap. Put a sheet under bike to catch "spair" parts should any fall unnoticed. Just don't get in a hurry and have several small cable straps as I don't thank kit contains any. Good luck!!

Old 01-21-2006, 12:38 AM
voodoo93
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Like TC said - just takes a little paitence - follow the instructions for which side has to go in first and you will be fine - I also found that a cold beer within arms reach helped when I got frustrated!

Old 01-21-2006, 01:56 AM
Detour
Road Captain

I just did mine last week, pretty easy, just takes a little time and patience. Go easy on the caps if using a screwdriver to spread them or you'll end up cracking the chrome finish. You can do it without a screwdriver with some patience. The service manual is a big help if you haven't done it before. Like JLOCKHART29 said above, be sure to use a cardboard wedge on the brake lever or you'll risk breaking the switch.

Take your time and you'll get it done.

Kurt[sm=burnout.gif]

Old 01-22-2006, 07:49 PM
Luxe
Tourer
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I did mine a week ago .................still haven't got over the trama Ha ha aaaah! But seriously, get the service manual, take your time, have a nice strong drink ready.

Old 01-24-2006, 08:41 PM
gasman
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I replace my switch housings with crome about 2 weeks ago and thanks to TC it was relatively painless. I agree with others that the housing looks better with the black switches, good contrtast. IT all a matter of mind over matter and what looks good to you.

Old 01-25-2006, 08:34 AM
buick_81
Cruiser

I installed the chrome switches and after a while they got broken and I heard many people complaining about them too, so I don't recommend them.

Good looking, Bad performance

Old 01-25-2006, 01:15 PM
8 UP
Cruiser

Like everone else said.
Go do It!
I will add after you replace the Ft. brake light Sw., I like to put A little dab of clear silicone to make sure the small copper wedge won't come out and raddle around inside the switch housing and SHORT out somthing down the road.
Remember "Chrome won't get you home, but you WILL LOOK GOOD pushing it"