Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Not happy with new mirrors

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2008, 06:18 PM
Texas Fat Boy
Extreme HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts
Default RE: Not happy with new mirrors

I don't mind the looks of my stock mirrors.

Plus, I agree with Poor Boy I use the mirrors. I need them functional.

Old 02-08-2008, 06:29 PM
BoneCrusher
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah this is one urge I am resisting. The stock mirrors let me see evrerything behind me and as much as I rely on that I'm keeping the stockers.....for now lol

Old 02-08-2008, 09:00 PM
chillman9
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was really thinking of replacing the stocks, but after reading this I'm rethinking it. I'll hold off and see if there is a good quality custom looking set.

Old 02-08-2008, 10:42 PM
ChromeJunkie
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 4,190 Likes on 1,827 Posts

I bought a set of Kuryakyn Magnum Plus large head mirrorswith convex glass and really like them. I think they look waaay better than stock mirrors and can with the long stems, I can acutally see more in them. Just my .02

Old 02-08-2008, 11:29 PM
red deuce
Tourer
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

joker machine makes excellent mirrors.

Old 02-08-2008, 11:32 PM
anubisss
Banned
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

I bought a set of small "chopper" style mirrors awhile back and used them for about a month. I like seeing what is going on. It all really depends on the rider IMO.

Old 02-09-2008, 12:10 AM
Stretchman
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force
Received 216 Likes on 134 Posts

For about 2-4 bux at the auto parts store, you can get little stick on parabolics that go right down in the corner. They're nice for when a cursorty glance don't cut it. If you see anything in them, then you can't go there, if you get my drift. They are worth every penny. Peel and stick.

Don't have to be big to work. Of course, Harley has bifocal mirrors now too. And they have some killer looking black ones, if you want to pay about 200 dollars for mirrors.

310 Miles and counting. Got it to open up a ltittle tonight, and knocked the crap outta the plugs. Gets better every time I ride it.

Old 02-09-2008, 12:19 AM
kato1964
Road Warrior

I have a set of Drag Specialties teardrop mirrors, with skull stems. They were not the greatest for rear view vision (but functional when properly adjusted), but they looked awesome on the bike, and I got more compliments on them, than anything else I had on it. I should have Locktited them before installing them, but never thought to. It was one of those things I was always going to "get around to", but never did. On our trip last summer the one on the right handlebar kept vibrating loose. I'd tighten it by hand, but it'd rattle loose the next day. Finally one night in Flagstaff, after a long day's ride, I decided to "fix it properly", and with it getting dark, me being tired, and despite my wife's warning to wait until morning, I went ahead with the 'repair'. I ended up snapping the damned thing off!! With the assistance of a couple of very helpful local bike shop owners, I was back to two mirrors by the next morning. (a mismatched set, but better than a one winged bird, so to speak...) While going through Idaho a few days later, stopped at a HD dealership, and picked up a set of HD skull mirrors. Not nearly as stylish, but they work a lot better. I've replaced the snapped off bolt (I didn't break the stem, just snapped the mounting bolt...), but am not sure if I want to go back to these mirrors, as it'd be such a waste of $$ to have the HD ones sitting in the garage collecting dust. I'll probably go back to them though, as they looked so great on my bike.

Old 02-09-2008, 01:09 AM
csbreeze
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: JohnnyBoy

Anyone buy new mirrors and end up not liking them? Irecently replaced my stock FatBoy mirrors with some I bought from Dennis Kirk. Although I like the way they look (fat stems and all), I don't like the reflection they give on the rider side. The Stock softail mirrors gave you more viewing area because they both were "bubbled" a bit. Although my new mirrors are the same size, I see about 2/3's less in them because they are straight mirrors (not magnified). It's kind of freaky to me to all of a sudden loose 2/3's of seeing who's behind you to the left or right. Am I being too paraniod about this?
Let me start off by saying my opinion is bias. I love HD mirrors for their function and stability on the bike. After market mirrors I have had no luck with. They shake, the view is bad, and they come loose even with blue lock tite. So that being said I am sure there are a ton of people that have had good luck with after market but I am not one of them.

I want to see everything behind me very well. I have enjoyed seeing things with my stock mirrors that could have gotten me killed other wise. I have rode a bike with after market mirrors that they didnt let me see hardly anything. I take safety of large viewing area over coolness.

[sm=badbadbad.gif]

Old 02-09-2008, 06:26 AM
JohnnyBoy
Road Captain

Thanks for your replys guy's. I think I'm putting back on the stock ones today.

Quick Reply: Not happy with new mirrors