Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Minor Wreck - Insurance Advice Needed

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2008, 10:46 AM
bikergirl40
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: Minor Wreck - Insurance Advice Needed

He said ... she said...might not even be a problem. Evidence will show that she pulled infront of oncoming traffic.... End of story. She is supposed to yeild, she didn't. End of story. This doesn't sound very complicated, to me...but what do I know. Good luck anyhoo!

Old 02-05-2008, 05:03 PM
DanDeuce
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good advice above , don't sweat it ! Had the same type of accident years ago , a lady made the left turn in front of me and I plowed her , her insurance co. even sent me a letter stating they did not believe she was at fault . Her Ins. Co. ended paying 4X the damages although I did pay my attorney his cut ! Don't think you will need a attorney , but I was 16 and my Dad was pulling the strings , what do kids know about that kind of stuff ! Plus only had PL/PD on my bike , so my ins co. did not even come into play .

Old 02-05-2008, 06:35 PM
Gutman
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Get plenty of photos and document in a affidavid what direction of travel and even draw it out. It will make presentation so much better. Photos of what direction each were traveling, where she made the turn and point of contact. Even get photos of where her car came to a stop. Geta represenative like Hupy&Abrams, accident scene investigators to help. Go to www.hupy.com. Ask these pro's for help.

Old 02-05-2008, 07:03 PM
LuckyBob
Advanced

NOT a big fan of cops - most feel they are "above the law" and it's really not meant for them anyway, just the little people. Make sure to tell your insurance companyWHY a ticket wasn't issued and WHY the accident wasn't written up ( him being there). Otherwise you will get screwed - I've dealt with enough insurance companies to know they really don't care about anything other than theri bottom line, and if they see a spot of daylight they will run for it and you might get your parts paid for, but you'll be paying your deductable as well.

Old 02-06-2008, 08:38 PM
bryan72
Cruiser

I'd file a claim with THEIR insurance company, NOT yours.
ask for 100% of damages including labor.
they're required by law to answer your claim yes or no within 30 days. ( maybe this varies by state, not sure )

if they don't award you everything you ask for, or something reasonable, call a personal injury lawyer.
make sure you see the doctor that your new lawyer recommends to you, not your personal doctor.

I'm all for being nice and fair and reasonable in accidents when the other side is as well,
but the instant they start playing unfair, all the stops are out.

Old 02-06-2008, 09:45 PM
NoVaThunder
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: LuckyBob

NOT a big fan of cops - most feel they are "above the law" and it's really not meant for them anyway, just the little people. Make sure to tell your insurance companyWHY a ticket wasn't issued and WHY the accident wasn't written up ( him being there).
In Virginia there is no accident report written, no matter how much you insist, and noone needs to be cited if there is under $1000 in property damage and no injuries. This is according to state law. The cops don't even need to respond. Perhaps the laws are similar in Texas or wherever this guy is. But by all means lets rush to blame this on the "above the law" cops who feel the law is "not meant for them anyway".

Apostle,just wait to see how it plays out before you get all excited about whether or not this lady's husband showed up. It really doesn't make a difference to the insurance company whether or not her husbandis a cop. Even if a citation is issued the insurance companies will make their own determination of fault. If it doesn't turn out how you want speak to an attorney, it sounds like you would have a good case.

Old 02-06-2008, 10:41 PM
LuckyBob
Advanced

ORIGINAL: NoVaThunder

ORIGINAL: LuckyBob

NOT a big fan of cops - most feel they are "above the law" and it's really not meant for them anyway, just the little people. Make sure to tell your insurance companyWHY a ticket wasn't issued and WHY the accident wasn't written up ( him being there).
In Virginia there is no accident report written, no matter how much you insist, and noone needs to be cited if there is under $1000 in property damage and no injuries. This is according to state law. The cops don't even need to respond. Perhaps the laws are similar in Texas or wherever this guy is. But by all means lets rush to blame this on the "above the law" cops who feel the law is "not meant for them anyway".

Apostle,just wait to see how it plays out before you get all excited about whether or not this lady's husband showed up. It really doesn't make a difference to the insurance company whether or not her husbandis a cop. Even if a citation is issued the insurance companies will make their own determination of fault. If it doesn't turn out how you want speak to an attorney, it sounds like you would have a good case.
Sounds like a huge loophole in virginia law. Becomes he said / she said. My point was IF you're unlucky enough to have a run in with a cop and IF they just "happen" to be wrong - when their buddy investigates it , stuff disappears. Don't think so? Google "Tim Masters" and read up.

Old 02-07-2008, 09:18 AM
Buddha4
Road Warrior
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

ORIGINAL: bryan72

they're required by law to answer your claim yes or no within 30 days. ( maybe this varies by state, not sure )

if they don't award you everything you ask for, or something reasonable, call a personal injury lawyer.
make sure you see the doctor that your new lawyer recommends to you, not your personal doctor.

I'm all for being nice and fair and reasonable in accidents when the other side is as well,

I'm not sure that I would not wantto be using the vehicle while waiting for their insurance co to respond.

No need for a PI lawyer he didn't claim injuries. When you start calling lawyers and going after thier "recommended" doctors then how does that sound resonable. sounds like that is "injury" shopping.

Old 02-07-2008, 11:40 AM
bryan72
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: Buddha4

ORIGINAL: bryan72

I'm not sure that I would not want to be using the vehicle while waiting for their insurance co to respond.

No need for a PI lawyer he didn't claim injuries. When you start calling lawyers and going after thier "recommended" doctors then how does that sound resonable. sounds like that is "injury" shopping.
why would you have to use it while waiting for them to respond?
get a rental, add the cost to the bill.

I only said to call a lawyer if they don't pay his property damages.
it is UNreasonable for them NOT to pay him as the accident was their insured's fault.
my point was to start off being reasonable, and just asking them for what you're owed.
If they are unreasonable FIRST, by not paying, denying your claim, etc... then it's OK to respond in kind.