Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rocker and Cross bones

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2008 | 08:35 PM
jaysonL
|
Elite HDF Member
Default Rocker and Cross bones

I posted this in "General" but I'll post it here too.:

Well, I went to th dealership again today. We got a quarter inch of ice on Friday and I have the motorcycle blues, so a trip to the dealership kind of help ease that. It was pretty educational visit. They had their first Rocker in this week, and also a Cross bones. I originally didn't like the Rocker, and liked the Cross bones. That all changed after sitting on them both ! The Cross bones was VERY uncomfortable. The seat has 3 inch tall springs that actually make you feel as though you're pivoting forward looking down on the handlebars and speedo. The Rocker was THE most ergonomically fitting of any Softail that I have ever sat on. I like it, I like it a lot. There are some things that I don't like about it. The oil lines from the tank are literally one centimeter away from the exhaust pipe. I think that is a design problem, maybe not. But that's just me. Honestly though, other than that and the dumb seat thingy for the passenger I was impresed, I'd really consider buying one ! Very nice bike !

Old 02-02-2008 | 08:38 PM
jeffl0924
Road Master
Default RE: Rocker and Cross bones

I saw one live and in person today at one of the local dealerships...GREAT LOOKING bike. If rode solo all the time, I would have me one

Old 02-02-2008 | 08:50 PM
mojojones
Road Warrior

The one Rocker C my local dealer got is still sitting therefor 3 weeks now.....no takers. The first Crossbones is there and it was sold the day it came in. The Rocker is $23,995 (with a list of $19k?) and the Crossbones is $16900.....no markup. With the market for bikes being so soft, me thinks the Rocker will be on display for awhile.

Old 02-02-2008 | 09:23 PM
ratsmow
Cruiser

Of coarse its still sitting there, 4k over list they'll never sell it. Put 19k on it and see what happens. Rocker ***** on the Crossbones in my opinion, only gotta look at the black c in the rocker thread to see that.

Old 02-02-2008 | 10:41 PM
RockStarr
Intermediate

X bones is the smartest buisness move harley could make after releasing a bike like the rocker.

Old 02-02-2008 | 10:55 PM
tmitchellof PG
Elite HDF Member

IMHO, the Cross Bones is better looking then the Rocker. Ilike the way it looks parked, with the spung seat, but I don't like the high sitting position, when you have to ride it. I would replace the seat so you sit lower.
Tom

Old 02-02-2008 | 11:16 PM
tkdeluxe
Advanced

ORIGINAL: ratsmow

Of coarse its still sitting there, 4k over list they'll never sell it. Put 19k on it and see what happens. Rocker ***** on the Crossbones in my opinion, only gotta look at the black c in the rocker thread to see that.
Dealer markups contribute to the glut of bikes that HD has been dealing with the past few years...here's an interesting excerpt from an article by The Motley Fool, link to the entire article is included...
No. On the contrary, now just might be the time to get optimistic about Harley and make the contrarian call that things are about to get better. Here's why:

Harley shipped 5.3% fewer choppers in 2007 than in 2006.
Its "dollar sales" dropped only 1.3%, so it sold those bikes for higher average prices.
Yet profits tracked unit sales rather than dollar sales, and profits dropped 4.8%, in stark contrast to competing bike makers such as Honda (NYSE: HMC) and Polaris (NYSE: PII), both of which have seen their per-share earnings rise this year.
So basically, it looks as though Harley tried to juice its results by raising prices on its hogs, but in so doing, it sold fewer bikes -- and made less profit. Supporting this view, we find Harley's balance sheet loaded with 22% more inventory at year-end 2007 than it had one year before. Not good, but not unexpected, either.

Wait -- that was the good news?
In a way, yes, it is. Because as I read last week's earnings release, Harley is finally getting serious about addressing the inventory problem. Management says: "For 2008, the company once again plans to ship fewer Harley-Davidson motorcycles than it expects its worldwide dealer network to sell."

Emphasis on "plans." You see, Harley's trying to spin its bad news by implying: "Hey, sure we sold less stuff in 2007 than in 2006, but that's all part of the plan, man." Which couldn't be further from the truth. This time last year, Harley was crowing over "excellent results," "continued growth," and "impressive Harley-Davidson motorcycle sales volumes." Not a word about intending to sell fewer bikes in any of that.

But while management may be running on fumes in the candor department, I must say that it's taking the right road this time around, in terms of strategy. The only way Harley is going to dig itself out of its hole is to work down those stubborn inventories. And the way to do that is by building fewer hogs and selling off the ones currently clogging its sales pipeline. Sounds to me as though Harley has come to the same conclusion -- and it's about dang time.
Harley Backfires

[IMG]local://upfiles/48755/CA727B39563246F08C606ED4BECAC068.jpg[/IMG]

Old 02-03-2008 | 01:51 AM
mplecha
Stellar HDF Member

I wish they had the crossbones when I bought my bike. As much as I love my fatboy, I think the crossbones is much cooler. I don't think I could bring myself to ride a rocker..