Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cateye style Dashmount for '06 Springer???

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2008, 10:43 AM
spike95
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

bgd71 They don't sell a kit to do it with. I just bought the stock parts off the Crossbones. I got them in yesterday afternoon, and it doesn't look like it'll work without some modification. The underside of the dash doesn't fit the contour of the tank and the mounting bolt doesn't line up. I had no idea that there was any difference between the tanks, but apparently there is. I'm majorly disappointed. If I wanted to modify something, then I would have just bought a cheap old reproduction one for a knuckle. I paid the premium price to get something that I thought would fit and seal perfectly. I pray that they'll accept my return at least for store credit if not a refund. I'll get one of the cheap repros one of these days and just beat it into submission.

For those of you with newer bikes, this might work for your bike. I don't know when the tank change occured.

Last edited by spike95; 08-19-2008 at 10:47 AM.
Old 06-13-2009, 12:12 PM
Bwana55419
Cruiser

The service department at my dealership feels that the new cat eye dash on the Heritage should fit this perfectly. I think locally the cost is just over $200, but I need to price it out again.

This might be a somewhat viable option for those looking for a old style cat eye dash.

Old 06-14-2009, 09:59 PM
bgd71
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Cateye dash is possible

Yes it's definitely possible. I just put one on my 07 Springer yesterday. The shape of the tank and wiring config are all the same. The only major change needed is to relocate the bracket that connects the bolt to which fastens the console. Just take it to someone that can remove and reweld that bracket on the fuel pump cover. I'll get pics soon.
lance

Old 06-15-2009, 05:26 AM
Oldpanrider
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You don't need to reweild anything. Just cut a small indent on the bottom of the bracket the size of the head of the holdown bolt. Then use a plastic tie to hold it in place. Works great. Lines up perfect. The other solution is to buy the bracket from Harley that bolts on the top of the tank. Pretty pricy that way though. I did this conversion over a year ago.

Old 06-15-2009, 06:28 AM
Chazmanian
R.I.P. BROTHER
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Brat, Spike and Bwana, Great looking bikes Gents!!!

Old 06-15-2009, 09:17 PM
frogg
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I tried to make one from an after-market Catseye (had two) a little more than a year ago, I would get one side so it fit the tank and the other wouldn't, went back and forth like that for two or three weeks, never got it right. Looks like it's time to pay the Stealer.

Last edited by frogg; 06-15-2009 at 09:20 PM.
Old 08-21-2009, 08:32 PM
spike95
Road Master

Thanks Chazmanian! Ok, so I finally got around to doing this. I just used epoxy and zip ties to fasten the bolt in place about an inch further back than it comes from the factory (not exactly a high impact application so I think this rig will do it). Everything else is plug and play with the electrical components. I will get up some pics as soon as I can. Looks like my front end will need a little more black on it to balance with the black on black of tank and dash that I have now.

Old 08-21-2009, 10:45 PM
Driften
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Bwana55419
The service department at my dealership feels that the new cat eye dash on the Heritage should fit this perfectly. I think locally the cost is just over $200, but I need to price it out again.

This might be a somewhat viable option for those looking for a old style cat eye dash.
I would think that might work! Its not like the Heritage and Deluxe are very different. If you try it please post. That is a modification I would not mind doing to my Deluxe.

Old 08-22-2009, 08:37 AM
dc4stroke
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

If you want the chrome one, then the heritage is simply a chromed Xbones dash.

Old 09-03-2009, 10:40 PM
spike95
Road Master

Here it is with the new dash and leather tank panel I made to match it. Sorry my bike is filthy and the pics aren't that high quality.

Last edited by spike95; 09-03-2009 at 10:52 PM.

Quick Reply: Cateye style Dashmount for '06 Springer???