Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wide Tire Kit Install

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2008 | 04:40 PM
1996Softail
|
Cruiser
Default RE: Wide Tire Kit Install

Dirk on a 07 your motor an tranny are one so you do not move the tranny over you must open the tranny up with the heartland kit and install a new 5th gear and mainshaft the tranny stays in the same place if you want my opinion stay with the 200 and you will be glad you did

Old 02-22-2008 | 07:35 PM
Jonny Cannon
Road Warrior

You know, I see these issues and completely can understand. I have built lots of custom bikes, and know that it never works out 100% all of the time. The crap you see Curly, Larry & Moe doing on OCC always shows a bike being built in a 1-hour program. They don't show you how the mods start, then the cardboard sketches, then the cutout templates, then the CAD work, then cutting & machine, then fitting, re-machining, re-fitting, etc.

I put a Fageol supercharger on my FJ1200 once. Designed the system, and machined my own intake for it. Thought I had all the bases covered, making sure it would fit between the frame rails, and that the gas tank would clear it. Everything was great; bolted it on (had to modify an allen wrench in the process. Put my chrome gas tank on, and it wouldn't fit. I forgot about the tapered sides on a sport bike gas tank. All my other measurements were perfect.

So, then I'm taking a hacksaw to a custom-chromed, custom-built gas tank. Oh hooray.

It all worked out in the end, but believe me, no matter who's company it is, or what they advertise for their kits - remember this:

It's just a bunch of guys no different than you or I designing and selling stuff. the difference between you making your own parts and them, is that you only are mking one. they are doing all the same stuff you are, but they just make more than one. The pros & the businesses have no special magic machines that aren't available to normal people. they make mistakes, take shortcuts, and screw up just like anyone else.

That's why I do it myself. I've found that in the custom world, half the time you have to modify what gets sent to you in the mail to make it fit, anyways.

Good luck - keep patient, and just do things a step at a time. Take lots of pictures, make lists, take notes. It will all pan out in the end, my friend.

Cannon

Old 02-23-2008 | 11:58 PM
dirkdigler
2nd Gear

Thanks for the input....prob. will just stay with the 200.

Old 02-24-2008 | 06:04 AM
2ForHD
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: dirkdigler

Hello all...I have a 2007 Night Train and am looking to give it a little more attitude with a nice fat tire..I have been hearing both good and bad things about the transition and am really debating if i want to take the next step.

I noticed Heartlandhas some interesting options: they have a very easy bolt on kit called the EZ 200 kit. I havea factory installed200 tire, so the transition will basically be a fender, single seatand struts.I feelthey are over priced for this basicset up, charging $2,000.00, however it keeps everyting stock.They also have the Two-5-0 conversion kit,which comes with afender, seat, off set kit, and a nice fat 250 swingarm. From what i hear this will offset your transmission to the left, causing your bike to seem un balanced..this kit seems expensive as well charging $3,399.00. The cool part is you have the option ofpurchasing a rear seat with a sissy bar thatyou can take off and on..and again this partisoverpriced as well.

I dont knowif anyonehasseen the Tejas thump cyles wide tire kits..but they seem like abetter deal...One of the options ilike is a kit that includes the following: 6 speed polished RSD transmission (3 yr. warranty), RSD rear rotor, 1 1/8 inch pulley with tail light assembly, 18 x 10.5 60 spoke wheel with fat 300 Avon tire...complete with instructions...One thing i thought was funny is that they mention "true bolt on kit!!..followed by minimal cutting and fabrication." This kit is expensive running $5,240.00 but it seems to come with alot more not to mention a fat 300 tire and the transmission wich keeps everything centered....i think.

Does anyone have any input on this? especially with the off set kits and their balance issues.
I used the PM wide tire kit on my 2002 Fatboy and had no issues, Worked out fine the first time everything was put in place.

I really like the set up.

Old 02-24-2008 | 02:17 PM
dirkdigler
2nd Gear

Very nice bike.....i will check that kit out. thanks

Old 02-24-2008 | 02:20 PM
dirkdigler
2nd Gear

cool...thanks

Old 02-25-2008 | 07:39 AM
TIPN8R
Stellar HDF Member

2ForHD...again, your scoot rocks!

Old 02-27-2008 | 06:50 PM
drfurious
3rd Gear

THANKS The issue with the swingarm spacers is that what you say is corrected? And also was the spacers problem with the wheels
caused by going with a wheel other than the ones they supply. You are helping me out tremendously thanks alot.

Old 02-28-2008 | 08:48 AM
rockerhead
Road Captain

I have mounted the Heartland 250 "Bobber" kit. The offset on the
primary was a quarter inch so no changein balance noticed.
Because the "Bobber" kit removes the struts there was a little cutting
and grinding (no biggie). We ran into a few errors in the install instuction
that we sent to Heartland and hopefully they alterd thie instructions.
There is a needed trick on the axle install, PM me for details, without
this trick you can ruin a new tire, don't ask me how I know

[IMG]local://upfiles/39225/6498D1A8B557453B9A07618B3B007570.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/39225/83846BAC9C5D4267A9B39AF2F21C2152.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/39225/ECC49A2AC28649EE877891E506A70A11.jpg[/IMG]

Old 02-28-2008 | 10:01 PM
1996Softail
|
Cruiser

OK guys here it is the tire is actually on the bike at this point and there is light at the end of a long tunnel here is a rundown on extra work and machining spacers were needed on each side of the swingarm between the swingarm and the frame Drfurious as to your question this has nothing to do with the wheel there is a small void there that needed to be filled. An aditional spacer had to be made between the pivot bearing and shaft on the swingarm a spacer had to be made between the brake caliper mount and the swingarm where the axle goes through the mount was cocked to one side without the spacer Smaller diameter shocks were added to clear the transmission mounting bolts due to the tranny offset a new 1 1/8' pulley and belt and a little pulling and adjusting and a lot of tweaking and the rear section is actually together and looking good but as I said before this is in no way a bolt on kit. Check out the latest pics and stay tuned for the end result. Guys thanks for all of the support and encouargement Rockerhead what is the trick for the axle bolt it seems staight foward only goes in one way with the adjuster cut out towards the front did I miss something?

http://s249.photobucket.com/albums/g...Almost%20Done/

Quick Reply: Wide Tire Kit Install