Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wide Tire Kit Install

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2008 | 10:28 PM
firemankrug
Outstanding HDF Member
Default RE: Wide Tire Kit Install

Man, it seems like your projecthas reallybecome aBIG pain in the ***. I'll bet your ride will look bad-*** when its done though. Hang tough.

Old 01-30-2008 | 07:36 AM
1996Softail
|
Cruiser

OK latest update I got a call from the owner of Heartland himself he was very apolagetic about the problems I have been having and he is working on it personally to make everything right. He said he will make sure I am satisfied and that the bike comes out great if he has to fly here himself. The good news is after this build anyone who orders the kits should have no problem as they will all be addresed now. I was very happy that he called it shows a dedication to customer satisfaction so even with the problems I would feel very confident reccomendingHeartland to anyone looking to customize your softail. Stay tuned for more pics as i progress and for the finished product hopefully within a month.

Old 02-17-2008 | 09:47 PM
1996Softail
|
Cruiser

Well everyone the saga continues here is the latest My swingarm finally arrived this week it took them a few tries but they say they finally got it right. Now on to the next issue the belt and pulley do not fit which is surprising because if you read the info on the kit on Heartlands websiteit clearly says you can use your stock belt and pulley which for a 96 would be 1 1/2 inches but heartland tells me I need a 1 1/8 inch which sucks because I have a custom pulley that matches my wheels and rotors which costs $475 to replace and I am about broke. So I have to put a stock pulley on for now with a new belt till I can save up for a new pulley maybe next winter. So this will be the big week I will again try to assemble the rear section I put the first swingarm on with the wheel and tire and it looks great hopefully this swingarm willnot hit the frame and my problem will be solved. In Heartlands defense they sent me about $1000 in accesories including the passanger seat to make up for my troubles so that was cool of them. Maybethis weekI will post thenew pics with the tire on keep your fingers crossed for me and pray to the Harley gods.

Old 02-17-2008 | 10:04 PM
ttlpakg
Tourer

hang in there. it will be worth the wait. good luck.

oh yeah, dont forget to post the pics.

Old 02-20-2008 | 10:42 AM
drfurious
3rd Gear

hey buddy following your project really close. I am about to order the same kit for a 96. That thing about the pulley and rotor was not good news mine is only a little over a year old. And did you get the trany offset bracket or a longer final gear with that kit. Its sounds like they are working with you nicely. If you have anyadvice I am all ears. Keep the posts coming

Old 02-22-2008 | 03:14 AM
gorrilla
Intermediate

i got problems too but i think its due to my cheap cousin he went and bought 99 year rims cause
they were cheaper had to have new bearings installed because harley changed axle size in

Old 02-22-2008 | 08:37 AM
kupaku
4th Gear

Hey ttipakg that"s a sweet ride you got!!! Nice pipes...What kind of pipes is that?

Old 02-22-2008 | 09:40 AM
1996Softail
|
Cruiser

OK guys you asked for it here is the latest I took the bike to the local chopper shop theguy there has over 40 years experience building custom bikes and really knows his stuff. After all of the other issues here is the new one the factory shocks will not fit they hit the tranny bolts because the tranny offset moves the bolts over 1" so you cannot make the shocks line up with the swingarm. I had to order the narrow shocks I am still waiting for them. Drfurious to answer your question the kit for a 96 just moves the whole tranny over as a unit you do not need to open the tranny and change the gear that is on 2000 and up so that is the easiest part but you having a 96 there is alot of issues as you can see to deal with. The tech had to machine spacers for the swingarm pivot because the ones in the kit do not fit they are not even close. Goriila you are correst the axle size for pre 99 is 3/4 and after is 1" I used 2000 wheels and changed the bearings to 3/4 but the rotor and pulley hole is also larger on a 2000 so if you have pre 2000 rotors and pulleys you have to machine them to fit. We are going with the 1 1/8 65 tooth pulley and a 132 belt you can also use a 70 tooth pulley and a 135 belt. Even with the narrower pulley the wheel is slightly to the right. If you have a pre 2000 I do not think this kit can be put on at home unless you have acccess to a machine shop and I have been a mechanic for over 20 years I talked the tech into letting me work on the bike with him so I have been there for every step at this point I am broke and do not know when it will be finished. Here is a breakdown on the additional things I needed besides the original kit.

Wheels, Tire. Pulley, Belt, Shocks, Belt Guard, Machine work Wheel spacers, swingarm spacers,
One last piece of adviceif you do start the job startleave plenty of time for the issues to be solved.
Drfurious I think they worked out the swingarm issue so that is solved but if you decide to do it let me now I will help with any advice I can.
I will post pics later this week

Old 02-22-2008 | 02:05 PM
drfurious
3rd Gear

WOW thanks, that is a lot to take in. You seem to be taking it well. Sounds like a learning experience. Dont let it get you down it will look great. I will bee looking for your post.

Old 02-22-2008 | 03:58 PM
dirkdigler
2nd Gear

Hello all...I have a 2007 Night Train and am looking to give it a little more attitude with a nice fat tire..I have been hearing both good and bad things about the transition and am really debating if i want to take the next step.

I noticed Heartlandhas some interesting options: they have a very easy bolt on kit called the EZ 200 kit. I havea factory installed200 tire, so the transition will basically be a fender, single seatand struts.I feelthey are over priced for this basicset up, charging $2,000.00, however it keeps everyting stock.They also have the Two-5-0 conversion kit,which comes with afender, seat, off set kit, and a nice fat 250 swingarm. From what i hear this will offset your transmission to the left, causing your bike to seem un balanced..this kit seems expensive as well charging $3,399.00. The cool part is you have the option ofpurchasing a rear seat with a sissy bar thatyou can take off and on..and again this partisoverpriced as well.

I dont knowif anyonehasseen the Tejas thump cyles wide tire kits..but they seem like abetter deal...One of the options ilike is a kit that includes the following: 6 speed polished RSD transmission (3 yr. warranty), RSD rear rotor, 1 1/8 inch pulley with tail light assembly, 18 x 10.5 60 spoke wheel with fat 300 Avon tire...complete with instructions...One thing i thought was funny is that they mention "true bolt on kit!!..followed by minimal cutting and fabrication." This kit is expensive running $5,240.00 but it seems to come with alot more not to mention a fat 300 tire and the transmission wich keeps everything centered....i think.

Does anyone have any input on this? especially with the off set kits and their balance issues.

Quick Reply: Wide Tire Kit Install