Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heritage Softail question?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2008, 05:43 AM
moggsy
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Heritage Softail question?

My best mate bought a RKC just after i got mine and its a great bike.Personally i feel like i am sitting "on" the RKC but you sit "in" the Heritage.As already mentioned you do sit high on the RKC and it feels very bouncy with the rubber mounted motor as well.
I also like the fact that i can strip the Heritage down easily whereas you cant do that on the King.For me the Heritage is a lot more versatile and its the bike i always wanted.

Old 01-08-2008, 06:50 AM
krub6t9
Extreme HDF Member
Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

I was going thru the same dilemma as you .The salesman asked what kind of riding I was goin to do btw is the kind you are talking about. He definitely recommended the heritage.He said the rkc was top heavy compared to the heritage. Bougt the heritage and very happy.I have taken a 400 mile roadtrip with no problems. my.02 worth

Old 01-08-2008, 07:27 AM
Geoseismic
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Heritage all the way! I've rented touring bikes, considered buying a SG, but am stuck on the Heritage.

Old 01-08-2008, 09:18 PM
eaheritage
Tourer

a question i have is does the passenger sit lower on the rk???????? hard bags on rk are lockable so far no way to lock the bags on my heritage... this is my second heritage after big bagger and im happy,,

Old 01-08-2008, 09:30 PM
lrntowrench
Cruiser

I've got both. The RK is definitely smoother. The Heritage is easier handling, for some reason easier to push around, more comfortable riding position, better looking. For 2 up riding the RK wins hands down.

I have hard retro lockable bags on my Heritage. I ride the RK a little. I ride the Heritage all the time. But, both bikes are great!

Old 01-08-2008, 10:55 PM
ae4782tt
Road Master

Bought my 03 Heritage about 1 1/2 yrs ago, first Harley. Personally I never liked the looks of a bagger. Rode a used V-Rod almost bought it. Rode a BMW K1200LT almost bought it. Found the Heritage on Ebay,with 2,500 miles and it was love at first sight!
I have put on over 12k miles of problem free riding. (one damn fat tire)consisting of mostly short trips, daily commutes, with a few 1,500 mile 3 day weekends thrown in. The only complaint comes from my g/f, says I need a bigger passenger seat...I say she need a smaller ***!

Old 01-09-2008, 02:35 AM
heywood727
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ae4782tt That's funny....... The Dragon said that to me on a long ride 4 yrs ago. I said the same thing. Good thing we were in Montana. I told her " I paid a lot of money for that seat and the bike came free, You want that seat...you spend that much andyou can have 1 too"

Well she got her way. She just had to wait till this year for it..lol. She's riding the Heritage. We've done a lot of touring on it. We come down to the States every year. Last year it was from Edmonton to Coos Bay Org. and back in 6 days. 4650 km's/2889.3 miles. I did put on Floor Boards and the bigger passenger pillon. Whatever makes it better for her, is better for me.

Mostly Montana and Idaho. Small detach rack on the back, Large Saddleman bag behind. 31689 miles on it and never a problem.

Old 01-09-2008, 12:25 PM
river rat
Cruiser

I agree with the poeple who said sitting "on" a road King classic, as opposed to sitting "in" a Heratige. My question is... what about the Road King Custom as compared to the Heratige?

Old 01-09-2008, 01:10 PM
Hrd Rider
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've had three Heritage's, 1999, 2002 and I just bought a 2008 after selling my 2005 Ultra Classic. I would not go back to a bagger. I had over 40k on my Ultra and it was comfortableon the 6500 mile trips my son and I take each year out West from MD. Unless you have two bikes the Heritage isthe best of both worlds. It is great for tooling around locally but I have ridden the Heritage's from home up into British Columbia, thru the South West to California and all thru ID, Mt and Wy. It rides well, handles well and the saddle height is low, it really makes you feel like part of the bike without having to wrestle all of the weight andhigher center of gravity.As for luggage spaceon a long trip, with a luggage rack and some of the many touring bagsavailable you have more than enoghample space to get you across theUSA and then some. Get a Heritage,have a safe ride no matter what you decide.

Old 01-09-2008, 02:12 PM
grzly
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: byersmtrco

For just tooling around, with the occasional long ride in there the Heritage is fine.
If you plan on longer rides, the Roadking does have better susp, ground clearance and overall they handle better.

The big plus to the Heritage is its versatility (spl/chk)
A few days ago, I went thru all the pics in the "Heritage Picture" section on this forum. 25+ pages? Anyhow, what a HUGE variety of good looking scooters. Everything from Slammed (and I mean slammed) barhoppers, to full on touring with leather tour packs and all. And some of the paint jobs . . . Awesome!!!
The big + is, any of these can be converted back and forth almost within minutes (well ok several minutes). But point being a Roadking is a BAGGER.
And they're great, but that is what you have.
+1

Quick Reply: Heritage Softail question?