Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Derby & timing cover question

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2007, 08:08 AM
vicks96
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Derby & timing cover question

Im gonna get a set of covers for Christmas, the skull set. Is there any trick to putting them on? 07 Deuce.....Remove old covers, check gaskets, replace with new cover/ gasketand torque bolts down? Ive had the derby off but not the timing cover. Reading the manual right now for instruction and torque specs and dont want any surprises.THX, vicks.

Old 12-22-2007, 08:11 AM
tombeving
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Derby & timing cover question

use a medium grade loctite if the screws donĀ“t already have them on.

Old 12-22-2007, 08:50 AM
OldFenderGuy
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

They (HD) have a 'new improved' solid gasket that is recommended for use when when installing a custom derby cover, or just as a general replacement when removing and reinstalling the stock derby cover..

Friend of mine that works for Harley gave me a couple of these, and I'll probably try one out before long...

The gasket is PN 25416-99C (shown below), and it is suppose to solve problems some have with improper fit, leaks, etc.. There is actually a raised portion, same diameter as the old ring gasket, imbedded in the solid gasket, and as you can see from the picture installation should be a snap.

Old 12-22-2007, 10:22 AM
bensonjv
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I just did the exact project on my wife's 07 Deuce. Well, actually, I helped but since it was her bike I put the wife in the head-wrench turner position.

I was going to mention the gasket but OFG beat me to it. The stock cover has the 1/8" dia rubber ring and a groove in the cover to hold it in place. The aftermarket covers (some to many of them) don't have that groove so need this gasket to seal properly.

Timer cover screws come out easy. Derby cover screws sometimes give people grief; heard several stories about them breaking off. What I do is give a few drops of Liquid Wrench on the screws and let it soak when I work on the Timer cover. Then I come back to the Derby cover. I use a Torx screwdriver with some vice grips latched on to give me some torque and they give a little "pop" as they loosen from the previous lock-tite application. Then I can just use the screwdriver to pull them the rest of the way out.

Oh yeah, last point...You want the bike level when you pull the Derby cover or you run the risk of having some of the primary oil running out. A bike lift is optimal but I'm certain you can use a block of wood under the kickstand and a pretty lady on the other side to make sure it doesn't fall over. My wife used a bike lift though because we didn't have any other pretty ladies in the house to hold the bike up.

Bottom line, this is an easy job. Barely a one beer out of twelve project.

Merry Christmas.