Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

To Ape or Not to Ape

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2007 | 02:04 AM
CNC WHEEL GUY
Road Warrior
Default RE: To Ape or Not to Ape

ORIGINAL: moggsy

Not a fan of apes.I cant see how they could be comfortable or safe and it just doesnt do it for me on a Heritage or a Deluxe.

Having said that i know most people that have them love them.The set that GMoney has on his look killer,they are LA Choppers ***** Fckers 16's.

Not sure if that is true. According to this, they are "Sleazy apes" :

https://www.hdforums.com/fb.asp?m=1011942

Look very similar though!

Old 12-31-2007 | 02:23 AM
darkside
Banned

I don't give a *** what these goofballs that have never had them or just can't ride say.
If you don't get rediculous in height they are extremely comfortable and handle great.I think somebody else said it on a previous post,we ain't riding sport bikes for Christ sakes.
Throw some apes on that bad boy.

Old 12-31-2007 | 03:57 AM
moggsy
Road Captain

Looks like all of us who dont have apes are goofballs and cant ride !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 12-31-2007 | 09:14 AM
Suspended
Account Suspended

ORIGINAL: darkside

I don't give a *** what these goofballs that have never had them or just can't ride say.
If you don't get rediculous in height they are extremely comfortable and handle great.I think somebody else said it on a previous post,we ain't riding sport bikes for Christ sakes.
Throw some apes on that bad boy.
EXACTLY!
Once you go ape, you never go back!!

For those that say it looks ridiculous, say that when a blonde woman on a hot bike w/ apes goes by you. I'm sure you'll look more than once! Even the goofballs I'm sure would do a double take.

I've had my license just over a year (and we're in New England so I loose several months of riding due to snow/ice) and I have no issues with driving with apes, handling, turning, etc. The first mile took some getting used to riding my husband's 16" apes but turning is so much easier! And they help keep me from slouching and I no longer get that knot in the back of my neck. My 14" apes are just perfect on my bike.
Win Win situation from my opinion!

Old 12-31-2007 | 03:13 PM
darkside
Banned

ORIGINAL: moggsy

Looks like all of us who dont have apes are goofballs and cant ride !!!!!!!!!!!!!
No, just you.

If you don't like them, that's cool. I,m personally not a fan of beach bars but they do look good on your bike.I,ve never ridden with them so I,m not gonna make anASSumption like you did in your previous post and say they are not comfortable or they don't handle well.Don't you think it would be pretty lame if we all road around on chromed out bikes with beach bars?......I do

Old 12-31-2007 | 06:09 PM
moggsy
Road Captain

Beach bars rule,you should know that by now.

But yeah it would be pretty boring if we all rode around on the same looking scoot.

BTW Happy New Year all as its New Years morning here in Sydney,Australia.

Old 12-31-2007 | 06:43 PM
Olejnicak
Cruiser

I'd never go back to stock bars, unless you haveapes you wouldn't understand.

Old 04-06-2008 | 01:41 PM
Jonny Cannon
Road Warrior

This is one hell of an old post, but it's what the search brought up, and I'm looking for a bit of advice from those who have the apes. I've got a Deuce, and the bars/riding position/controls is currently stock.

I'm starting to gather up the required parts & accessories for a bit of a conversion. I want to go with a set of apes on the Deuce because I love the look. Here's the situation:

Two years ago, I broke my back; in particular, between the C5 & C6. I suffered some permanent nerve damage. The damage to my upper right shoulder, collarbone, and trapezius muscles is more prominent that the damage to my back, believe it or not.

What this amounts to is that I can ride the Deuce for about 400-500 miles at a time, or spend a full day riding. By the end of the ride, I'm really feeling it in my shoulder & back. Kind of feels like someone's trying to pull my arm out of its socket, and my shoulder blade out of my back at the same time. No amount of therapy fixed that, so I live with it. Meh.

Does anyone have any experience/feedback/advice? Are the apes going to aggravate this? I wasn't looking to go nuts - maybe 14" so THE MAN doesn't hassle me. Oh yeah - I'm 6'2", with fairly broad shoulders.

Thanks in advance.

Cannon