Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cruise control

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2006, 10:29 PM
RC
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cruise control

A newby here with a new softail deluxe. They say I can't have cruise control installed on my bike, but not really interested in the "touring bikes" (not as classy as the softails). Can anyone tell me why the cruise cannot be installed on this model?

Thanks in advance.

RC

Old 01-03-2006, 10:39 PM
Harley Al
Road Captain
Default RE: cruise control

Just use the throttle tensioner....cruise control is at your finger tips! of cource its manual, but it works fine.

Old 01-03-2006, 10:40 PM
kakus
Intermediate

are you aware that your bike has a throttle locking wheel underneath your right grip? i rode my new one for a month before a friend pointed it out to me

Old 01-03-2006, 10:47 PM
hoggsbreath
Advanced

I rode my Heritage Xcountry a couple of summers ago and the throttle lock wheel worked just fine. That stretch from Flaggstaff to Barstow I rode practically hands free.... It's a wonder I didn't fall asleep!

Old 01-04-2006, 06:47 AM
jtfrog
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think that the throttle screw,**** only works for short distance. Mine either is constantly speeding up or slowing down whe i use it

Old 01-05-2006, 11:02 PM
Mike05
Tourer

I read an artical in a magazine (American Iron, I think) a while back describing how to install a touring cruise control on a softail. There was an aftermarket electronic module you would have to buy (about $400.00) and then you would have to buy the cruise servo control assembly from H-D (about another $400.00, I think). The application required some brackets be made & mounted etc etc.

I leave my thumb screw snug but not to the point I can't move the throttle easily. On the highway I have to tweek the throttle up and down a little to maintain a steady speed but it works ok. It does help to releave the tighter grip you need to use to hold the throttle.

Old 01-06-2006, 01:19 AM
SMenasco
Road Master

I talked about the throttle lock I use in another post. The HD stock star under the throttle is not comfortable for me to operate. I installed a throttle lock fro AZ Motor Sports. Mounts around the grip high next to the brake cylinder. Five minutes to install, holds the throttle in a specific location and disengages with the flick of a thumb. Works great on the highway and also in speed zones.

[IMG]local://upfiles/1638/8023B652488E48F89901AEECBA8751E3.jpg[/IMG]

Old 01-06-2006, 08:29 AM
BikerInTheDesert
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used my stock throttle lock on my trip to Seattle from Dallas, didn't have any issues, but you do have to be aware when braking, shifting, etc. so that you manually decrease the throttle, or disengage the lock.

My folks bought a product that I think is much better and safer than the stock lock. Got one for each of their bikes, and they've been very happy. Push button set, the throttle can still be adjusted, a quick push button release. But the big selling point for me is the brake lever disengage. If you touch the front brake lever, it automatically disengages the lock. Takes a bit to get everything set up and aligned, little trial and error to get it fully adjusted. But once it's set-up, the throttle rolls freely when it's off, rolls with resistance when it's set, tap the thumb button and it immediately disengages, and just brush the brake lever and it'll release. Much safer if you're having to grab some brake in an emergency. Find it HERE.

The only advantage cruise has over a system like this is automatic speed maintenance over varying terrain, and I've always found that just takes a little tweak on the throttle and then relax the right hand again. Much cheaper than retrofitting your softail!

Good luck, and enjoy the ride.

Old 01-06-2006, 09:21 PM
nutsy
Tourer

same here.
ORIGINAL: jtfrog

I think that the throttle screw,**** only works for short distance. Mine either is constantly speeding up or slowing down whe i use it

Old 01-06-2006, 11:51 PM
Grover
Administrator Emeritus

Received 252 Likes on 122 Posts

http://www.brakeawayproducts.com/

This is not an actual cruise control but it is a throttle lock that disengages when the front brake is applied.

Give it a look-see.

Quick Reply: cruise control