Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Paint suggestions??????

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2007, 10:03 AM
LNEMUP1
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Paint suggestions??????

This may sound really crazy, but I am trying to kill 2 birds with one stone.

Here is the story. I have a 2000 fatboy that I tried to sell awhile back for what I think is a very reasonable price. Didnt get much interest. Considering it has less than 6000 miles on it and in great condition with some extras I was baffled. A friend of mine suggested that the original color (green and black factory colors) may be a big reason. Not a sought after color.

I have a local painter that is making a name for himself and my thought were this. If I pull the tin and have him paint them up it would help me sell the bike. I am willing to front the money for a couple reason. One is obviously to help sell the bike, two is that I wanna get a custom paint scheme on my 07 streetglide and this will give me an op to work with the painter and show me his quaility of work(although I have already seen some)

To get to my question which is the most sought after color schemes that would intice people to buy the bike? The painter offers a nice price for any two color with either tribal/ghost/regular flames. Asked a few friends already so far got "go with solid pearl white" and " black wih ghost flames". Thought I would ask a few others.Hope to get some feed back from other.Thanks

Old 12-17-2007, 10:12 AM
Live2Ride
Banned Camp
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Paint suggestions??????

I would recommend buying new sheet metal and having that painted. That would help sell the bike even quicker. Bikes are typically worth more when they are stock. So having the stock paint set and a custom paint set should get more people interested. Another upside to getting new sheet metal and having it painted is that if still no one wants to buy the bike, you could always sell the custom sheet metal on its own and still have a bike to sell.

As far as colors go, I'm not really sure. The more custom the paint job, the smaller the market will be with interested buyers. However, people feel like (and they are usually) they are getting an awesome deal if the bike has custom paint since painting is so expensive and is usually one of the last things a person does to a bike. So custom paint would give a more finished look to the bike. Ghost flames and two-tone flames seem to be very popular right now. It seems like you would be safe going with that. I'm not sure what colors I would suggest, though.

Good luck!

Old 12-17-2007, 10:42 AM
Branner
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

To broaden the appeal/interest, why not advertise a custom paint job comes with the bike. That way the new owner canpickEXACTLY whathe/she wants.

Old 12-17-2007, 10:55 AM
LNEMUP1
Novice

Thanks guy those are both great ideas, may have to rethink my plan lol.

Just out of curiosity anyone wont to though out a value that they think would be fair for my bike. 2000 fatboy with 5700 miles few ad ones like SE exhaust,Windshield,sissy bar, and a few added chrome pcs like belt guards and axle covers.

Thanks again for the input

Old 12-17-2007, 12:08 PM
Harley_Dude
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 102 Likes on 68 Posts

kbb
trade in = 9,000
retail = 13,000

Most likely the problem is not the paint but that it is a first year (softail) twin cam. They had some problems. Custom paint won't get you any thing extra UNLESS you find that one guy/gal that just loves it. Paint it black, the most popular color ever, with stock decals. Keep the original paint and sell both sets if they want. You may want to check ebay as you can get stock paint sets for $500-700 in most any color you want. I'd say with the low miles you're looking at 10K plus. I know it sucks but the market is what it is......Hopefully it will come back in the spring, but I won't hold my breathe.

Old 12-17-2007, 07:55 PM
jfish
Stage I

I'm playing hell tryin to find either the paint or the code for my '06 Ultra Classic. The color is a limited edition called Dragonfly Green Pearl. I've been able to find only one place that I can buy the paint from and the guy wants mucho dinero for it. Does any one have any suggestions? Thanks-Fish