Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

H-D oil cooler cover, WTF am I doing wrong?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2007, 10:57 PM
WouldBeHD
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default H-D oil cooler cover, WTF am I doing wrong?

I was a bit worried when I realized that the H-D oil cooler required the purchase of additional items, specifically their higher performance sealant. With a curse or two, I went down to the local stealer and picked up a tube. Finally got around to installing this thing tonight, but I'm at a loss. I had to put a fairly generous amount of sealant on the reverse side of the cover, just to make contact and not much at that. Held the cover in place for over two minutes, let go and realized that it is still loose. Now I'm really stumped. Decided to abort mission, cleaned everything up, and now here I am. Has anyone used the factory's install procedures with success? Did you use a lot of sealant to secure the cover? My cooler core and the cover are not making contact at the top and bottom at the same time. Only one end or the other seems to make good contact. Same goes for the sides. Am I missing something here??

Old 12-17-2007, 12:04 AM
Bowtieman31
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: H-D oil cooler cover, WTF am I doing wrong?

Nope, The thing fits like sh*t. After two attempts and at the risk of that thing falling off while on the road, possibly damaging my paint, I decided to leave it off. I run my cooler without the chrome cover and it looks just fine.

Old 12-17-2007, 09:03 PM
WouldBeHD
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: H-D oil cooler cover, WTF am I doing wrong?

I love this bike, but the MoCo needs to get its head out of its *** and hire some engineers who know wtf they are doing. It's that or fire the beancounters subjegating the quality of their product to some bottom line number. I'll just leave the damn thing off.