Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

follow up...

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2007, 09:21 AM
RoyalTexan
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default follow up...

Thank you:
stro1965
BoneCrusher
voyager1
Bowtieman31
doc_cj
2FatBoys
mplecha
1BadTrain
springerbadboy
for your helpful comments and suggestions on acquiring a fat boy of my own... I do have some follow up inquiries, though... (and remember, I am simplya rookie and uneducated, not stupid...)

Was asked is it a "carbed bike"? As opposed to what?
Noticed the designation of S/E Air Cleaner, V&H Pro-Pipe... and those are?

Old 12-11-2007, 09:52 AM
Batbuds
Advanced
Default RE: follow up...

ORIGINAL: RoyalTexan
Was asked is it a "carbed bike"? As opposed to what?
Noticed the designation of S/E Air Cleaner, V&H Pro-Pipe... and those are?
Carbed vs Electronic Fuel Injection (EFI)
S/E Air Cleaner - Screamin Eagle Air intake... higher than stock airflow air breather
V&H - Vance & Hines - manufacturer of aftermarket performance exhaust components... not sure what the benefits of the Pro-Pipe are!

I am still learning this stuff myself....

Never fear asking questions... lots of good info here!

Old 12-11-2007, 10:32 AM
BoneCrusher
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A "carbed" bike means it has a carborator, with a carb you have to pull a choke lever out to start your bike when it is cold and leave it out till the bike warms up. These bikes are simpler and cheaper to tune but have some drawbacks compared to a Electronic Fuel Injected (EFI) bike. These are like your car and use fuel injectors, to tune these you need a fuel management device like a Power Commander. With a fuel injected bike there is no choke, you just hop on and start it up. As of 2007 all HD's are EFI.

Like Batbuds said the S/E designation stands for Screaming Eagle which is the HD performance division. They make performance parts of all kinds for HD's. One of the first mods most people do is a Screaming Eagle air cleaner, which is a better flowing air filter located behind the oval looking cover on the right side of the bike. This gives the bike a little more power and torque.

Old 12-11-2007, 10:36 AM
RoyalTexan
Novice

Thank you, Batbuds...
Now, what difference does carbed vs. fuel injected make? Fuel economy? And the air intake? Just efficiency of the overall performance?

Old 12-11-2007, 12:45 PM
wallyn
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

EFI or fuel injection bikes will run better in various weather conditions as the computer adjusts for the conditions. Some hard liners here will say that carbs are the only way to go but for ease of use and just hop on and go, EFI is better. They say you can wring out more horases out of a carb than an EFI system.

Fuel economy I think will be about the same although EFI might be a little bit better. From the sounds of it you would be very happy with a stock EFI set-up maybe with some after market pipes.

Good Luck.