Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Night Train Anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2005 | 06:41 PM
imboden
|
Stellar HDF Member
Default Night Train Anyone?

Hey fellas, first time here. I'm crazy about the night train, and I'm close to buying one, but I can't seem to find a review of them anywhere. I was hoping somebody could give me some feedback on one. Dealers are of course eager to sell, and ebay is tempting, but too scary.
I ride a honda magna right now, but had enough of jap bike. I'm proud to say my great granddad had a harley shop in the 30's, my grandpa raced em, my dad hillclimbed and was a bike cop on one, and now it's time for me to get my own.....

blah blah blah----here's my questions if anybody made it this far:

How do the drag bars fair on 1-2 hour rides?
Engine guard?
How is the seat as far as comfort?
Easy to find bags that look good?
Any glaring maintenance things?

thanx dudes-

Pat

Old 02-20-2005 | 11:55 AM
Lovetoride
Grand HDF Member
Default RE: Night Train Anyone?

Much better choice in names...

HD has some nice bag set-ups that have a quick release system...

Ryan

Old 02-20-2005 | 02:52 PM
monkyman
Outstanding HDF Member

Hi, I just bought a 05 pearl black night train, but living in new england I have yet to ride it. I couldn't resist it either, but it's the seat comfort i'm thinking about. Good luck with your decision. (Go for fuel injection)

Old 02-21-2005 | 04:34 PM
brett
Novice

Hey imboden,

I bought my first Night Train about 4 months ago, so here is my .02.

- The drag bars don't bother me for 1-2 hour rides, but I sat on a friends Night Train that had Milwaukee Twin drags on it and it seemed like it would be much more comfortable for longer rides.

- I really like how the Badlander seat looks, but comfort could be much improved. It's not bad for 2-3 hours, but after that it I start feeling it. I didn't realize how hard it is until I hopped on a friends Vrod (he put a different seat on it from stock) and it felt like a cadillac compared to mine- but it doesn't look as cool :-)

- I was looking at bags a while back and I like the set that HD has for softails in their book, but they are like 720 bones- to much for me right now. They also make a set made specifically for the Night Train too.

- As far as maintenance things, I haven't had any trouble besides a recall on the tail light. It kept burning out and they kept putting new bulbs in it until I told them there had to be something wrong- bulbs shouldn't birn out every 3 weeks!!!

Anyway, all in all I really like the Night Train. I love the looks and I haven't seen a lot out on the road. If you are looking for more comfort, I would say to possibly put a different seat on it and maybe a different set of handlebars. As far as carb or FI, I think it is personal preference. I got the FI. Actually, I didn't have a choice, but I would probably go with the FI again if I had a choice. Good luck with your decision- have fun!

Old 02-22-2005 | 04:01 AM
sandman376
3rd Gear

Hey buddy,
I have a black 04 and I love it. I went from riding a Honda 954 to the night train. Totally different ride but for a harley I like it. I love the bars to we go on three or four hour rides with out a problem. We just stop for gas and food. The seat is another story, I put the Phat Tail kit on so I have the Corbin. From what I remember The corbin rides alot higher and that equals more comfort. I changed the pipes to the big Radius and the intake as well. Big improvement on the power side. I also put harleys front end dress up kit on just to add more chrome to the front end. Looks awsome but like others I cant load a pic on here. I can send you some if you drop me a line at sandypimp at yahoo. Good luck and happy hunting.

Ron

Old 02-22-2005 | 07:27 PM
brett
Novice

Ron,

That is a beautiful bike- I like what you have done! Thanks again for the pics

Brett

Old 02-22-2005 | 09:14 PM
Clammy
Seasoned HDF Member

Hey man,

I have an 05 Night Train on order. That baby just called out to me!! I've been asking a lot of the same questions you are, and here are the conclusions I've come to:

The handlebars are good for shorter trips, but can be a bit much for longer trips. I plan on mini-apes or buckhorns for my Train.
The seat is ok for short trips, but uncomfortable on longer trips. I'm planning on either the Harley Custom Night Train seat or the Sundowner. I've heard good things about both seats from owners.
You can get quick release brackets for bags in the wrinkle black finish, and there are loads of Harley and aftermarket bags out there.
The bike is just like any other Softail. I haven't heard of any maintenance/repair issues exclusive to the Train.
I am also going for Screamin' Eagle 2 slip ons (slash down style), a carb rejet and K&N air filter which I will have installed at purchase time.

I say GO FOR IT! I can't WAIT to get mine!! [sm=shades.gif]

Cheers!
[sm=icon_rock.gif][sm=icon_rock.gif][sm=icon_rock.gif]

Old 02-23-2005 | 09:27 PM
tpayline
Novice

I Just picked up my Night Train 3 weeks ago. I had a V65 and a Vmax and this bike is 10 times easier to ride then both of them. I have rode for 2 to 3 hours at a time and have no problems with the drag bars at all.

Old 02-23-2005 | 10:14 PM
Lovetoride
Grand HDF Member

ORIGINAL: tpayline

I Just picked up my Night Train 3 weeks ago. I had a V65 and a Vmax and this bike is 10 times easier to ride then both of them. I have rode for 2 to 3 hours at a time and have no problems with the drag bars at all.

Ryan

Old 02-24-2005 | 12:28 AM
pilot1996
Seasoned HDF Member

tpayline....welcome, and congrats on that bike, glad to see you come over from the other side...the entire Harley experience is just completely awesome!

Mac

Quick Reply: Night Train Anyone?