Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley Chrome

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2007 | 06:03 AM
eagle56
|
Road Captain
Default Harley Chrome

Whats the chrome like on these things.

Bought a 2008 fat boy and don't want it to sit in the garage in the shity weather.
I had a moto guzzi before and drove it through the winter in all conditions,loved the bike but the chrome turned to rust.

Will this happen to my very expensive Harley.

Old 12-09-2007 | 08:50 AM
kingk9
Banned
Default RE: Harley Chrome

In my opinion it's some of the best chrome work I've ever seen. I have to have things chromed by different places all the time where I work, and it's not even close to the chrome on a Harley. I'm sure there will be someone here that can bring up an exception, but I don't think you have anything to worry about.

Old 12-09-2007 | 09:20 AM
Coaster
Ultimate HDF Member

I don't see a problem with HD's chroming but if you're going to ride the bike in bad conditions I would suggest you clean and maintain it so it won't fail you. I don't think there's any bullet proof chroming out there if it is not properly cared for according to the conditions it's subjected to.

Old 12-09-2007 | 09:26 AM
rbabos
Banned

Harley chrome is good. Copper, nickel and chromium. All chrome can start to rust is there is a weak spot on it from a stone chip or scratch that corrosion can start.
Ron

Old 12-09-2007 | 10:00 AM
landest
Road Warrior

I don't have the inside knowledge on Harley's process but the quality of the
products suggest that you are getting what you pay for. Harley is legendary for its
chrome plating.

Just clean and polish your bike regularly to get the grime and road salts off.
I run all year (Washington State = get wet regularly).

Note: Keep abrasives far away from chrome. Remember that chrome consists of
different metals applied in measurements of microns. Removing a scratch with
harsh abrasives may not only cause more damage (from a decorative perspective)
but also remove layers of metal that are protecting your bike parts. Use only
products that are specifically designed and tested for chrome.

Old 12-09-2007 | 10:56 AM
aliandray
Cruiser

Hi eagle56, I do not have huge amounts of chrome on the sporty, but what I have still shines like new and the bike gets ridden through winter (this is the fourth) . The chrome is good and deep on Harleys, but as with all things ridden through winter, would suggest you are meticulous with cleaning (after each ride to remove road salt depsosits) and you then treat the bike to some anti rusting solutions like WD40 or ACF50 after each clean

ORIGINAL: eagle56

Whats the chrome like on these things.

Old 12-09-2007 | 11:20 AM
bcox
Road Master

The only problem I have with the chrome is the spokes. If your bike has spokes and is in damp conditions, it shouldn't take too long before they start rusting. Other than that I think it is very good quality.

Old 12-09-2007 | 11:57 AM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member

IMO, Harley chrome ain't all that. I've seen plenty of it peel. The chrome on my '00's first primary was so thing that I actually rubbed it off when wiping a boot mark off using Mother's. It was replaced under warranty.

Threads on HD chrome rusting after sitting out in the weather are not uncommon. However, they should be. Chrome is supposed to be a tough coating that protects the metal. Not something you worry about letting rust thru. Think about the old cars from decades ago. They had chrome all over them and sat out in the weather for years before ever showing signs of rust. Heck, even the cheapo bumpers on my 1994 Toyota pickup can survive thru salty winter after salty winter without rusting. Leave a HD sitting outside a few days with road salt on it and see what you've got.

Old 12-12-2007 | 05:02 AM
Boot
Advanced

IMO most people relate polishing to chrome, however the less you rub the better it will look, obviously most products thatare polishes will cut the shine.A Lambswool mit to wash andwipe off with micro fibre cloths is probably a more logical way.
There is some good reading here under 'detailing' I found it to be crucial info for new bikes, but be a little careful who'sadvice you go on.
P.S. I tried oven cleaner to remove boot/burn marks on my exhaust pipes... a little hesitant knowing oven cleaners, it works great. Non abrasive isbetter!