Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TRI BAR TAIL LIGHT

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2007, 12:22 PM
BB06FLHX
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: TRI BAR TAIL LIGHT

I had the same problem on my old Softy (factory light).

I took the lens off and ran a bead of clear silicone around the edge, replaced the lens onto the housing, and wiped any silicone that squished out. Never had a problem after that.

Just an idea.

Old 12-04-2007, 01:03 PM
George C
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: paulca

Thanks George.
Did your tail light ever have water in it though?
On two occassions of having no rear lights (riding or brake) there was lots of water inside the tail light and PCB - both tail light units had to be replaced.
No, my lights were always dry.
Lights as in 2, but the light itself was not the cause..
The figured it as soon as I bought an Air Force Blaster dryer. That light was driving me crazy before I stumbled on the fix, before we installed a third. It's been fine all summer long.

As for your problem, I would keep taking them back util you get a housing that has a seal that holds up theway it's suppose to for $239.00

Old 12-05-2007, 09:01 AM
TurtleRacing
Cruiser

I had this problem w/my original tri bar and now the replacement. I will try the connect under the seat. I am also considering running a small bead of silicone around the lense since it's sealed and isn't supposed to come apart.
Wanna hear the pss off? My wife bought the light for me last year black Friday sale, bought it for me for X-mas,I installed it immediately,bike sits in the house all winter, get it out and ride it in the spring, wash the bike and the problem shows up. My fabulous stealer who told me when I bought the bike that they would always take care of me told me I was SOL!! The light only has a 90 day warranty, 30 day since I installed it! Wanna talk about a PO'ed customer? Yeah, I really can't handle 4 screws and a couple elec. connectors! It took me vritually jumping on the counter to get the light replaced and haven't been back to my dealer since! Will never go back tothat dealer again, since I've spent over $6500 in that dealership on top of the bike, I wonder if it was worth it to them?

Old 01-01-2008, 11:23 AM
paulca
Road Captain
Default RE: TRI BAR TAIL LIGHT - Update

Despite extra sealing, after a fewweeks of rain (yes I ride in winter and rain[sm=bangbang.gif])Tri-bar number five failed.

I have given up on it and replaced it with the original, ugly butat least it works.

As mentioned in an earlier post, I wrote to Harley outlining the issues. They didn't seem interested as their response was to refer me back to the dealer. On the other hand the dealer agreed the design was flawed and readily gave me a full refund.

Thank youfor all your input.

Old 01-01-2008, 11:56 AM
darkman
Outstanding HDF Member
Default RE: TRI BAR TAIL LIGHT - Update

Hi paulca, bad news on the rear light as i have just got one, only good thing is it dont rain in sunny bournemouth! Nice bike you got there, luv the pipes. Guess i will have to give it some thought as to how to seal it, take care n H N Y.

Old 01-01-2008, 05:44 PM
I CUT 1
Tourer

I've had the micro switch for the front break to get extra soaked and cause it to flicker, but no problems with unit itself. I'm not a fair weather rider, when weatherman says 70% chance of rain that means there's a 30% chance that it will not. So when I getcought in the rain the bike will get a bath when the skies clear,wet again.Of course I just screwed myself by reporting no problems. I've the first one that dealership got themselves, so I've had it for maybe 1 1/2 years.

[IMG]local://upfiles/49112/DC938D022B8E4209B051415FE0EF893D.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/49112/745EEE1A95484511AC1CAEBE5E4175BC.jpg[/IMG]

Old 01-01-2008, 08:15 PM
NY_Rebel
Cruiser

Had my tri-barinstalled before delivery..... 4 months and 7000 miles ago.
I've ridden in the rain numerous times with mine, most recent was almost 200 miles of heavy downpour on Dec. 23 from N.C. into central S.C.

No problems here at all.

Old 01-01-2008, 08:31 PM
TurtleRacing
Cruiser

Well it sure would be nice to know where the problem is, it should be easy to fix. I replaced my front switch, it actually went bad but wasn't the problem.

Old 01-05-2008, 02:29 PM
TurtleRacing
Cruiser

HAs anyone seen the cycle vision 'eliminator" ? Looks very interesting and it eliminates blinkers!! If anyone knows about these please speek up. Expensive but if it's anygood, it'd be worth it.
http://www.cyclevisions.com/road-rod...p-fxst-cv4816/
http://www.cyclevisions.com/road-rod...black-cv4816b/

Old 01-05-2008, 03:20 PM
caltrain
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That light and license plate frame is sweet. Would order it now except for the $379.00 shot in the pocket.

Quick Reply: TRI BAR TAIL LIGHT