Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battery Question ???

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2005, 12:03 AM
hddawg
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery Question ???

Went to fire up my hog a couple a weeks ago and it was dead as a door nail. I keep my hog in a rural area and there are no HD dealers around. I bought a replacement battery at the local autozone parts store. The problem installing the battery was the positive terminal cable was about 1.5" too short for this battery. I returned the battery and needless to say I didn't get to ride. I did try recharging the original and it was a no go.

My question is are you better off buying the exact part number HD battery to ensure a glove fit or are there other non-hd batteries that fit without problems? I can't imagine the cost difference being that great. This experience has taught me that I need to purchase a battery tender to leave on during the winter months. Thanks for any input.

Old 12-27-2005, 12:08 AM
Terry TK
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 157 Likes on 53 Posts
Default RE: Battery Question ???

I have found that the new Gel Battery that harley has been selling since 2000 is beter than any battery I have had in 30 years on a harley. The cranking power is what you need and alot of the after market batteries just don't have it. My battery is 6 yrs old and is just now starting to slow down. I'd never gotten over 2 yrs on anyother batter before this one. I'll buy another harley battery this spring.

[sm=biker2.gif]

Old 12-27-2005, 12:58 AM
sidewinder
Cruiser

Terry,
Are these battery's coming with the new HD or is it a after buy product? Just curious if it is in my 05 deluxe.
Thanks Mark

Old 12-27-2005, 02:06 AM
Rodent
Road Master

I tried one of the aftermarket batteries from the BATTERY WAREHOUSE and it only lasted just over one year. I fought with the salesman, but got no replacement.
I went out and bought a HD Gel Battery. It may have cost a little more, but it was well worth it.
These aftermarket batteries aren't worth the time it takes to install one. I only buy direct replacements whether for my bike or my truck.

Old 12-27-2005, 03:04 AM
FatBoy2five0
Cruiser
Received 25 Likes on 2 Posts

They come with the newer harleys, They are Glass Mat batteries, very good and way better than after market, acid or wet batteries,although an aftermarket glassMat may be just as good, but still use a battery tender

Old 12-28-2005, 11:35 AM
JoeVFR
Tourer

FatBoy,
I have an 05 Deluxe so I assume I have the newer gel cell. I also have a tender on it. My question is my buddy has a BMW with a gel cell and he claims you cannot use a battery tender with it because the floating voltage is higher than what it puts out and gel cells cannot deal with it. I don't seem to have any problem with it, just want to make sure. Anybody heard that?
ORIGINAL: FatBoy2five0

They come with the newer harleys, They are Glass Mat batteries, very good and way better than after market, acid or wet batteries,although an aftermarket glassMat may be just as good, but still use a battery tender

Old 01-01-2006, 12:33 PM
JoeVFR
Tourer

Anyone, anyone, Bueller?

Old 01-01-2006, 01:38 PM
HDF Tech
Banned
Received 152 Likes on 43 Posts

Battery Tender Plus's new BTP microchip technology applies the correct peak charge, then automatically maintains the battery at the perfect float voltage which virtually eliminates battery destroying sulfation. What does all this technology mean for you? A battery that is ready to go when you are! BTP microchip technology will extend the life of your battery.

The new Battery Tender Plus will correctly charge and maintain any type of lead acid battery - AGM (absorbed glass mat) or sealed calcium batteries.

Old 01-02-2006, 11:38 PM
JoeVFR
Tourer

Thanks Bill,
I have a tender that goes into a float mode so its not charging constantly, it seems to be working o.k. Thanks again.

Old 01-03-2006, 12:15 AM
2goldens
HDF Community Team
Received 315 Likes on 216 Posts

This spring will be season 5 for the battery in my '02 Fat Boy. All I've ever done for the long winters here is to remove the battery and leave it right in the house where it's warm. I throw it on a trickle charge in the spring and so far so good. But I gotta believe that this is the last year, bike batteries just don't last forever.