Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SC or WG

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2007 | 09:54 PM
indianchief
|
Stage II
Default SC or WG

Greetings,

I am considering the SC or WG, 07 or 08. My main concern is I am 6'3" and worried about the legroom on the Softail. I would need the extended foot controls on the WG, it feels cramped on the stock seat. I haven't sat on the SC yet, is there more legroom? Also, does the stock seat accept a driver backrest on the SC? There is a tallboy seat available on the either, but I don't know if it accepts a backrest for the driver? Why do you guys prefer the SC?

Thanks

Old 11-23-2007 | 01:50 AM
NY_Rebel
Cruiser
Default RE: SC or WG

SC = Softail custom , right?
If so they sit the same, or basically the same. There may be minor difference, but they're close.
The softail (standard/custom)has it's origins born from the wide glide. In the beginning,the bikes were twins with the exception of the rear suspension. On earlier ones, before the introduction of the dyna frame for the Wide Glide, parts (other than rear suspension, obviously)would interchange freely between the two.
As for the seat.....Unless you go with an aftermarket seat, there isn't anything available (that I'm aware of)with the rider backrest for the standard/custom. I believe rider backrest were only available on the FLST's , not on the FXST's.

Old 11-23-2007 | 09:27 AM
rik777
Cruiser

I'm 6'3" also and went with the deuce instead of SC. I think any one you choose 3" forward controls and lower seat is the only way you will be really happy with the fit.(3" accutronix and danny gray on mine)

Old 11-23-2007 | 11:50 AM
NY_Rebel
Cruiser

I forgot to mention... I'm 6' 3"+ .... I went with the Arlen Ness extentions on my Night Train. At the time I took delivery, the HD extensions weren't available. The Ness extensions aren't bad although they move the controls "out" the thickness of the plate which took "a little getting usedto the look".
I also just put a barebones seat on it to get the butt moved back on the bike a little more.

Prior to the Night Train my bikes have all been Wide Glides, I've put extensions on all of them.

Old 11-23-2007 | 12:30 PM
mojojones
Road Warrior

I'm 6' 4" and I've got the Ness 3" extensions on my standard. I wish I had a little more.......I'm not cramped but I'm not stretched out either. On the other hand I've got a Corbin gunfighter seat with the optional removable driver's backrest and it makes all the difference on long rides.

Old 11-23-2007 | 03:35 PM
reh13
Road Master

I'm 6-3, 34" inseam, and own both bikes. I have the 3" extensions on my softail. I also havetheKuryakyn 3"extended controlsfor my wide glide, but haven't installed them yet. I have about the same leg room on my softail with the 3" extensions, as I do on my wide glide with the stock controls. I'll probably end up not installing the kuryakyns on my wide glide.

Old 11-23-2007 | 05:17 PM
mikedmeyer
Cruiser

Despite the similarities between the two, the stock DWG has more leg room than the stock STC.

Old 11-23-2007 | 09:35 PM
silvrbill
Road Warrior

I have the 08 Custom, my very tall friend has the 05 Glide. I've riden both and don't like the placement of the forward controls on the Glide. It seems to me that they are too close to the frame. My Custom actually is a little wider in the foot placement area than his Glide. I also noticed that I sit higher on the Glide than on my Custom. Makes me feel like i'm on top of the bike instead of "in" it. Dmeyer is right about the leg room though, the controls on the Glide seem to be a bit further for me to reach.

Old 11-23-2007 | 09:43 PM
silvrbill
Road Warrior

Forgot to mention that there are some aftermarket rider backrests for the Custom but no factory ones unless you buy the Signature series HD seat. I didn't like the way the aftermarket rests mounted so I bought a Signature series backrest from Kuryakyn and am having a custom bracket made for it. The Custom seat is divided so there is room to install a backrest, you just have to make a bracket for it to mount to your fender. The fender has holes already drilled in it to accept a bracket of some kind.

Old 11-24-2007 | 01:55 PM
indianchief
|
Stage II

Thanks guys, this helps. I sat on a Custom and WG yesterday. The leg room is less on the Custom, but better for my shoulder to grips distance. I will do extensions and have decided that the Custom is the bike I want in Pacific Blue and black. The guy looked in the catalog and found a backrest for the stock seat. Yes, I looked and it does have an area where the backrest can go with the mount. I hope the guy is right. I'll take a look at the corbin seats also.