Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New or Old?

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2007 | 07:50 AM
Texas Fat Boy
Extreme HDF Member
Default RE: New or Old?

ORIGINAL: drummer3278

I started looking used at first, and my criteria was a bike in very good to excellent shape with low miles. Seems that used bikes, unless they had a lot of miles on them, were not that much less than new. Also, I wanted to get a stock bike so I could do my own customizing and upgrades. Since I knew I was going to finance, I went new (07) because I could get a better interest rate on new, and a warranty, which I wanted because I'm not really mechanically inclined, nor do I have the time to mess around with mechanical issues. I've ridden 88's and 96's to compare, and I really coudn't tell much difference with both stock. I think everyone has an opinion on which model, year, etc. is best. I just like having something new that no one else has f&cked around with. My payments are the same, or lower than a bike a few thousand less, I have a warranty, and most importantly I have a new bike that I can eventually start customizing the way I want.
Very well said, this is what I was trying to say.
I was doing the same exact thing last year at this time.
My added problem was that the '07s had the bigger rear tire and next generation motor and trany.
All I new was thatI liked the looks of the 200mm tire....and at the time I couldn't find a good deal unless I went to Florida. Then that trip would have negated any savings.

Old 11-22-2007 | 08:04 AM
Nitram_b4
Advanced

I picked up my springer used....and cheap....bike is and was in perfect condition. I put 11000 miles on it this year.
The only thing I changed was tires and a voltage regulator... by the way Avon X is 10 times the tire that the stock one were

Old 11-22-2007 | 12:03 PM
Dinger
Road Master

I bought brand new. I didn't want anyone's problems.

But...it's a decision that only you and your wallet can make.

If you can't afford the upside-down problem. Sell your bike private-party and save up your down payment.

Old 11-22-2007 | 12:13 PM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member

Sell your's if you can....Get your financing together and talk your best deal.. You should be able to do well if your stealer ship is willing to negotiate, as it is a slow time for them for selling bikes right now. Ain't nothin' wrong at all w/buyin' used.
You won't regret it down the road if you do, however you will if you don't.
You might get beat up a little, but you'll have the bike that you want, and that is the bottom line.________________________________

Old 11-22-2007 | 01:28 PM
aviator
Elite HDF Member

I bought new.... just because I could. and probably will never go into 6th speed.... I just like to cruise around on the back roads.

Old 11-22-2007 | 01:41 PM
dmac1968
Road Warrior

Nothing like riding a shiny new bike outta the showroom... then there's the warranty, you know the history, it's immaculate, extra gear, bigger motor, wider tires etc etc etc.... not that difficult a choice if you ask me... plus the resale on 06 and older went down (here anyway) as soon as the 07's came out with all the new features.

DeanO

ORIGINAL: King Kong Sportster

Just so happens that the dealer contacted me today and asked me if I would be interested in a "pre-owned" heritage. I guess the idea was to make trading in my sportster less painful. Told him I would give it some thought. But I dont know. Either way I will still be upside down. I figure if thats going to be the case, why not be upside down on a spanking brand new heritage as oppose to a used one? And also, I fell in love with the 6speed transmission. Then again, what do I know? Maybe some of you guys could give me some of your input and opinions. Transmission before 07 models are an obvious difference, but what about the 88b enginecompared to the 96b? How much of a difference is there? Please feel free to respond

Old 11-22-2007 | 02:31 PM
King Kong Sportster
|
Advanced

I want to thank you all for your reponses and opinions and advice. Really a tough and difficult decision for me. Although my heart is with an 08 6 spd heritage (and yes I plan on running 75 all day. I will begoing state to state)... Just cant help but think I am probaly financially better off going the used route. Im prepared to take the lost (and a big one it will be) on my sporty. I know some of you have suggested I sell private. But the truth of the matter is that I dont want the hassle of that. Besides I want a heritage now, not 2 or 3 months down the road. And as I said in previous post, sportsters just arent selling around this area. Paper is loaded with them. Some owners have been trying to sell theirs for months. If I have to wait 4 months to get a heritage, I will go nuts. Then again maybe I am nuts if I am willing to trade my sporty in to the dealer 8 months after I bought it. Lol boy am I a looser

Old 11-22-2007 | 02:42 PM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member

No you are not a looser, you might be a loser though. J/K. LOLOLOL!
However, if you want a Heritage now, talk your best deal and just do it.
At least do that much.....

Old 11-22-2007 | 03:20 PM
Dinger
Road Master

Remember one thing. You're emotional, not practical.

Don't get yourself into a financial mess just because of emotions.

IF you're going to trade in the bike, go for Brand New. At least you can justify all of the cash you're going to drop.

Old 11-22-2007 | 06:20 PM
drummer3278
Cruiser

4 months wait for a Heritage in VA? You can get them around these parts (Western WA) all day long. Are you far from other dealers? Your in a perfect position to shop dealers, and make them work for your business. Go to several, or call and make them low ball each other. Hell, you can even get one out of state, and have them ship it to you. A lot of them will offer free shipping (even though you'll pay somehow), and will work to get your business. If they don't want to, there not going to want to take care of you after the sale anyway.

Quick Reply: New or Old?