Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Deluxe 07- accessory tap?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2007, 04:09 PM
GMul
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Deluxe 07- accessory tap?

ORIGINAL: ronyd

ANYWAYS, he showed the accessory apdapter (PN 70270-04), and it also comes with a mate connector. But, not the pin for the connector. Does that make any sense!! The pins have there own part number. So, bottom line for the B+ Connector, I could use it once I get the pin (has to be ordered of course). So ,for about $18, not bad, and a neat connection. I also need to fuse the line for 3 amps.
Thanks for the info.

The picture of PN 70270-04 shows three expansion connectors. Do you have the part number for the connectors (pins?) that plug in to them.

Also, what do you mean by a "mate connector"?

Regards, Gary

Old 11-23-2007, 04:37 PM
YEFFRO12
Cruiser

Well, here's what I learned today. I went to local HD stealer and asked one of the parts guys about the the B+ and accessory connectors. At first, he wasn;t familiar with the B+ connector. But, after me showing him the picture in the manual, he understood what I meant. I asked about the accessory connector. Looked it up and the Deluxe does not have one. The 4 pin (3 wires though) deutsch connector is in fact the Data Link, which makes sense because of the color code wires match up woth the electrical diagram, and not the posting I had read for the accessory connector. I had a pic from another forum showing it as the Accessory connector (was from an install procesure for an Ultimate seat for Softail wide tire models 2006-2007). Think someone was halucinating on that one.

ANYWAYS, he showed the accessory apdapter (PN 70270-04), and it also comes with a mate connector. But, not the pin for the connector. Does that make any sense!! The pins have there own part number. So, bottom line for the B+ Connector, I could use it once I get the pin (has to be ordered of course). So ,for about $18, not bad, and a neat connection. I also need to fuse the line for 3 amps.

Then there's the fuse box. Why not put the heaters on its own circuit. I'll connect to the spare, with a 5 amp fuse. That way, if anthing goes ballistic (like my hands and *** on fire), I only blow that circuit and nothing else. Fuse was $1.25...So, that;'s what I'lll be doing. Clean, no wire splicing, no other connectors to deal with, and on its own circuit. Sounds like a plan. I think I beat this to death now. Rockin and Rollin... All part of learning I guess...

Good day for learning a little. Even the Harley guy learned a little.... which by the way was very knowledgable and accommodating.
Ultimately it doesn't surprise me the pins have their own part number, but yeah... that's crazy! That's great you took the time to figure out a way to wire those up so "cleanly" without just hackin'. Good job.

Old 11-23-2007, 05:06 PM
ronyd
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thankx Yeffro12, I got plenty of time to do this since its my winter project. Just good stuff to know so there';s no surprises. Plus I get to relay the info to the forum for someone else. That;s what this forum is all about right... Once I identified how the molex connectors worked, I was able to release the hand control pins form the connector in a few minutes without cutting any wires. Reported that also in another thread also. I noticed you have some very informative threads also that I'm sure I'll run into when I get to another problm I don;t see clearly..

GMul,

Part # 72289-04 Female pin
Part # 72105-04 Male pin
Part # 72100-04 Terminal Housing

If you look at the Electronic Accessory Apdapter 70270-04, it's for 2 accessories. If you look at the picture of it in catalog (p.676, figure D1 , or online), the connectors on the left (480 series Metri-Pack (has only one pin)) connect to a power source, and the connectors on the right connect to your accessory. They give you 2 different connectors for your choice. Looks like a molex and a 480 series Metri-Pack (has only one pin).

So, Let's just take one accessory. One end (left in picture) plugs into the B+ connector (ie, the power source) and the other end (right in picture) needs to plug into an accessory that you need power to. The terminal housing they give you (which is not in the picture, but was in the package they showed me) had no pin installed in it. So, you would put the pin (female or male) on your wire that you are trying to power, insert pin into terminal housing, and attach terminal house to the B+ connector. So that's what the pins are for....

If you need to do this, I would go down to the local HD stealer and look at the adaptor so you can see it for yourself.

hope this helps...

Old 11-23-2007, 08:18 PM
GMul
Advanced

hope this helps...
It does indeed!
Thanks, Gary

Old 11-29-2007, 12:45 PM
ronyd
Road Master

Got the accessory connector yesterday. The accessory connector has 3 taps and not 2 as I thought. The large connector is for the B+. The other 3 are the taps for your accessories. Also a terminal housing is supplied already for the male spaded pin.You need to purchase the "male" spaded pin (75 cents)and your complete.

In my application, I have attached he male spadedpin to a 5 amp in fuse holder. I didn;t use any special crimp tool. Just use small needlenose and then solder. Works perfectly...

Old 11-29-2007, 03:02 PM
GMul
Advanced

Excellent! Thanks.
Gary

Old 11-30-2007, 06:46 AM
ronyd
Road Master

here's what the Accessory cable looks like. The left side shows the in-line fuse holder, crimped to the male spade and inserted into the terminal housing that the kit supplies, and connected to one of the accessory taps. Other end of fuse holder goes to the heaters +12vdc red wire. The other end of Accessory cable as the B+ male connector which plugs into the B+ connector located near the battery.

[IMG]local://upfiles/34488/0EBB371ADCC44776AAE2F16070E478C6.jpg[/IMG]

Old 11-30-2007, 07:25 PM
Tralfaz
Road Master

Heh. After weeks of looking for posts and information on this accessory connector someone else finally posts information on their using it. I installed a Powerlet port onto this accessory harness about a month ago and it was unbelievably complicated to get information on doing it. Going to the dealership I tried to get two male spade connectors and housings and it was a 15 minute hunt through parts manuals to find them. I also ended up having to do something that I guess is theoretically not great, but I ended up cutting the inline fuse off the Powerlet port. I looked at the wiring schematic in my Softail service manual and verified that the B+ connector goes through a 15 amp fuse in the fuse block, and the inline fuse was 15 amp also. Unfortunately, the fuse took up so much space under the seat, and that accessory harness is pretty rigid and already tough to squeeze under there.

Old 12-04-2007, 12:58 PM
ronyd
Road Master

Tralfaz, no only do I have to squeeze the Accessory Connector under there, I also need to squeeze in my 12vdc relay circuit I'm putting together for my Kuryakn Heat Demons. You can see my post on this https://www.hdforums.com/m_2507325/tm.htm.