Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ceramic Coating Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2007 | 09:03 AM
Luxe
|
Tourer
Default Ceramic Coating Exhaust

Iam working on installinga new set of V&H True Duals for my 05 Deluxe. I am running Terry's Terminal Velocity EFI system that utilizes an add in O2 sensor to create closed loop EFI operation. I have welded the bung in for the sensor, just behind the rear jug. Now, of course the pipe is likely to rust at that point without some protection. I beleive that I will take both side head pipes in to have then ceramic coated, to protect the pipe from blueing and rust, as well as reduce the heat radiated from the pipes. I was just wondering if any of you have ceramic coated your pipes and could offer any insite in to your experiences and advice on finish. Did your pipes get coated both in and out?
Cheers,
Luxe

Old 11-18-2007 | 09:21 AM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor
Default RE: Ceramic Coating Exhaust

Did your pipes get coated both in and out? I do. It is about keeping the heat in to make HP for me. Faster=fun

[IMG]local://upfiles/29413/2E973E96ABA24562BBE51267CB37686F.jpg[/IMG]

Old 11-18-2007 | 09:24 AM
sonar_chris
Outstanding HDF Member

In the limited experiance I have with trying to get pipes coated, if they are used hardly anyone will do it. Atleast in San Diego. I was told by a few companies that once the pipes are used and have a carbon coating on the inside of the pipe, this will contaminate the vats of chemicals used for the coatings. I was also told the cleaning the pipes for a first quality finish is also very difficult and would not be happy with the results in the long run. I have not had much experiance but this is what I was told from a few different companies.

Chris

Old 11-18-2007 | 09:53 AM
Gigawitz
Road Captain

I have ceramic coated pipes and I really like them. They do stay alot cooler than chrome pipes and don't turn blue. The finish is very tough and easy to clean. I bought them already coated in silver metallic ceramic so I don't know about getting them coated. Bottom line is I recommend them andwill buy ceramic coated pipes next time too.

Old 11-18-2007 | 01:05 PM
Silver Fox
Club Member

Hello Luxe, you had Roadhouse Brand exhaust on your Deluxe didn't you ? Why the change ? I was thinking of them also.

Old 11-18-2007 | 01:20 PM
darkside
Banned

I had my thunderheader coated at Jet hot and the coating is top notch. Go to www.jet-hot.com and check out the colors. I have the satin black on it now and it helps with heat quite a bit . This stuff is alot tougher than the coating that came on thepipe originally. Any dirt or boot marks come right off.

Old 11-18-2007 | 11:55 PM
Luxe
|
Tourer

Sonar_Chris, My pipes are new, and have not yet been installed, I was told by the Ceramic shop that they would not do used pipes either.

HB 08Deluxe, Yes I took off the Roadhouse pipe after 2 1/2 years. I love that pipe. Looks great sound even better. I just felt like a change.

I will be taking in the head pipes from the V&H true duals tomorrow for Ceramic coating. I will be installing the chrome heat shields over top of the head pipes as well. I just want to reduce the radiant heat & stop the rust from starting at my welded in O2 sensor port. I will post pics of the new pipes once done.

Old 11-19-2007 | 10:23 AM
97FXSTSB
Outstanding HDF Member

I have ceramic-coated pipes and I don't like the appearance. So I did my own on the Pro Pipe using House of Kolor Hi-Temp satin black. It's a beautiful, smooth true satin finish that has been on for over a year now. You can see the difference in my gallery pics. Pro Pipe has my coating and the Fourbiddens have the chalky ceramic coating.

Old 11-19-2007 | 10:29 AM
meanbite
Road Warrior

I have my pipes coated. I notice no difference in heat. I also have them partially wrapped in heat tape, also no noticable difference in heat.

Old 11-19-2007 | 10:41 AM
G5jive
Cruiser

Mine are also ceramic coated and wrapped. I had mine done after they had been used for almost a year. No problem at all.

Quick Reply: Ceramic Coating Exhaust