Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ceramic Coating Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2007 | 09:04 AM
Luxe
|
Tourer
Default RE: Ceramic Coating Exhaust

I got my pipes back from the ceramic coater. Thought I would post a pic of the O2 bung welded in & then coated.

Old 11-24-2007 | 09:20 AM
CNC WHEEL GUY
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: sonar_chris

In the limited experiance I have with trying to get pipes coated, if they are used hardly anyone will do it. Atleast in San Diego. I was told by a few companies that once the pipes are used and have a carbon coating on the inside of the pipe, this will contaminate the vats of chemicals used for the coatings. I was also told the cleaning the pipes for a first quality finish is also very difficult and would not be happy with the results in the long run. I have not had much experiance but this is what I was told from a few different companies.

Chris
This is my understanding too! They won't coat used pipes.[:@]

However, i know that you can get them powdercoated with a special powder that is good to about 1200° F. The problem is that there is a limited number of powder guys that do this since most powder coating places only need 400°F oven to heat standard powder to cure, the ceramic high temp type takes an oven that goes over 1200°F.

If anyone knows of someone that can powder the high temp stuff, I'd be glad to get some info!

Thanks!

Old 11-24-2007 | 09:22 AM
CNC WHEEL GUY
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: G5jive

Mine are also ceramic coated and wrapped. I had mine done after they had been used for almost a year. No problem at all.
Where did you get these done???

Old 11-24-2007 | 09:22 AM
CNC WHEEL GUY
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: 97FXSTSB

I have ceramic-coated pipes and I don't like the appearance. So I did my own on the Pro Pipe using House of Kolor Hi-Temp satin black. It's a beautiful, smooth true satin finish that has been on for over a year now. You can see the difference in my gallery pics. Pro Pipe has my coating and the Fourbiddens have the chalky ceramic coating.
Is this a color that is in a spray bomb or does it need to be applied with a gun?