Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headlamp question?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2007, 10:31 PM
Kevinc
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Headlamp question?

Thanks in advance. I've got an 06 Fat Boy and for safety reasons would like a brighter headlamp. Has anyone tried a product like the Adjurl headlamp? Are they a lot brighter than the OEM stuff? Anyone have a better suggestion?

Old 11-16-2007, 03:01 AM
4merRacer
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Headlamp question?

Headlamps don't get THAT much brighter compared to just installing a better bulb. Get an HID bulb for $50 bucks and it will be plenty bright.

Old 11-16-2007, 06:32 AM
soulfish
Cruiser

someone suggested this in another headlight thread. I'm thinking of trying it.
http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/P...014812/c-10111

Old 11-16-2007, 06:51 AM
wallacem
Advanced

Go down to NAPA auto parts and buy a 100/80 watt bulb for about $10. That is the best bulb I have found, and I have bought them all. It really is brighter, instead of just making you think it is brighter by changing the color. I run this bulb in my softail and Vulcan both.

Old 11-16-2007, 07:10 AM
In Memoriam Citoriplus
May our Moderator Rest in Peace
Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts

You need to be careful playing with some of the aftermarket high power bulbs.
Any bulb that draws more than about 75W is going to put a strain on the electrical wiring in the bike and has the potentual to warp plasticreflectors and connections inside the housing.
The best option is to replace the entire assembly with a nice new and longer housing from somebody like Headwinds but install a true HID system inside. Unfortunatly that's going to run you about $700 or more.
If your cheap, or poor like me the next best thing is either getting a PIAA H4 Intense white (about $50) or a Sylvania Silverstar H4 (about $20) replacement bulb for your headlight.
Neither of them will draw more than the stock bulb, preserving the electrical system and any plastics. Nor will they break your bank account. What they will do is significanty increase the output of the light over what the MoCo put in there at the factory.
Of the two I think the PIAA is supposed to bebetter, but is it is and how much better, I can't say. I have personally never seen one.
The Sylvania Silverstars on the other hand are supposed to last longer and I KNOW they are better than the junk the factory puts in.I have used them in my last three cars/trucks along withtwo different bikes and I have beenvery satisfied with their perfomance.
The odd part is that I'm not really sure that they are all that much "brighter", butthe color and quality of the light they produce allows even an old fart like me tosee better/farther/clearer then the stock bulbs.
Another plus is that they are very easy to find in most of the brand name auto parts stores. So finding/getting them or replacements when or if it should become necessary is fairly simple.

Good Luck and Ride Safe [sm=biker2.gif]

Old 11-16-2007, 10:57 AM
Kevinc
Tourer

Thanks everybody, and I am poor/cheap. I have seen that some halogen bulbs are only recommended for use with clear lenses becasue of heat build up. However, this is not stated on the PIAA bulbs in the Mptorsport catelogue.

Old 11-16-2007, 11:01 AM
anubisss
Banned
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Sylvania Siverstar H4st but get a couple as they tend to burn out kinda quick. It won't melt you bulb housing is the good thing. I got mine at Autozone.

Old 11-16-2007, 11:19 AM
In Memoriam Citoriplus
May our Moderator Rest in Peace
Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts

ORIGINAL: anubisss
Sylvania Siverstar H4st but get a couple as they tend to burn out kinda quick. It won't melt you bulb housing is the good thing. I got mine at Autozone.
Advanced Auto stocks them too.
I have heard that they burn out fast from other people too. But I have been using them in my truck and bikes for 6 or 7 years and have only had one burn out in that time. I put over 300,000 miles on the truck so it wasn't just a matter of time. I beat the snot out of that poor truck and it only had one bulb burn out.

Old 11-16-2007, 01:42 PM
wallyn
Road Captain

I am making the same upgrades to my Fatboy for safety reasons. I would rather be seen coming than broadsided by a cager.

I am upgrading to higher quality H4 bulbs

Ordering the visipath headlight modulator for comagination with the 115w upgraded capacity, and also their Brake light modulator.
http://www.comagination.com/

These were reviewed by WebBikeWorld and seem to perform as advertised. Search for headlight modulators on the forum as there have been a couple threads. To follow are those that will say that they hate them cause they are annoying but that is what I want is to annoy cagers so they will avoid me. http://www.webbikeworld.com/Reviewed...h/visipath.htm

Good Luck, Stay Safe